John Stones - 2018/19 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
King of the North... I can't remember all the guys who thought he was a perma-liability. Can't be arsed to go find that thread now :)

But I'm sure no one doubts anymore.

I’ll put my hands up I was critical of Stones signing because I always knew he had mistakes in him and they did come and go in his first two seasons. Despite my opinion that we could have gotten a better player (I was suggesting Van Dijk then) I still supported him as a City player.

Who would have thought playing with Laporte will bring the best in Stones. Lets be honest Otamendi was stalwart and strong but hardly an assuring defender at times. Laporte and Stones are like identical twins they both complement each other perfectly because they know each others plans. They take turns carrying the ball forward and watch each other’s back. Ederson being behind them also helps.

Stones has always been great in attacking the ball and he was a midfielder in the past so he has that tendency to do so. With Laporte he is now more able to join the attack and when combined, creates this defensive zone that limits opposing team’s options

Did he get caught ball watching again for the pen though? He did last week and the end result was the same. Still think he's a great addition to the squad though.

I said it in the MOTM thread, I went for Bernardo but I thought Stones and Laporte were both excellent yesterday.

Did he get caught ball watching again for the pen though? He did last week and the end result was the same. Still think he's a great addition to the squad though.
It isn't ball watching. But rather holding the line. You have to hold the line or else you undermine your team's chance of defending properly. Out 3rd goalwas an example of this. Had Young held the line rather than sink with Same, Gundogan would have been offside.

John Stone cannot follow everyone that makes a run past the line or else he breaks the line and create havoc for other defenders.

Now if a player makes a diagonal run into a less dangerous area to get a pass, it's easier to recovrt and challenge him after holding the line half the time said player will be offside and or not in the best position to take a good shot.

On both occasions, Eddy simply didn't give him the chance to do his job.

It isn't ball watching. But rather holding the line. You have to hold the line or else you undermine your team's chance of defending properly. Out 3rd goalwas an example of this. Had Young held the line rather than sink with Same, Gundogan would have been offside.

John Stone cannot follow everyone that makes a run past the line or else he breaks the line and create havoc for other defenders.

Now if a player makes a diagonal run into a less dangerous area to get a pass, it's easier to recovrt and challenge him after holding the line half the time said player will be offside and or not in the best position to take a good shot.

On both occasions, Eddy simply didn't give him the chance to do his job.

Exactly right

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.