John Stones - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at Stones’ WhoScored rating over the last three seasons he’s had an average of...

• 7.87/10 in 17/18
• 6.87/10 in 18/19
• N
ow just 6.56/10 so far this season.

You're only as good as your last performances. Nobody really cares how solid he was a few years ago. Every professional player has good and bad seasons, but what separates the good from the great is continuity and he is missing that.
I think he is making far too many basic defensive mistakes to be considered a starter at City. Tyrone Mings, Nathan Ake both look much more solid than Stones. He seem more afraid of messing up his hair in a duel than actually defending in a decisive matter. He has to toughen up and fast. I think Peps trust in him is decreasing rapidly. Pep even prefers Rodri and Fernandinho in centreback position ahead of an Actual centreback. Says a lot.

I really like the guy but I don't know what the fck happened.

You said he hadn't developed over the last 4 years, so even with these mythical ratings from some random website, he must have developed a tiny we bit into being the number one defender in Europe, even if it was for just half a season as he wasn't called that at Everton, this is why I commented.

His form is shot to pieces but that is form not actual talent, Stones can not play rotation, he needs to be playing pretty much weekly or he loses his form, it has happened every time he has been injured, he comes back in and makes mistakes, with a run in the team these usually subside.

Currently, I believe his head is up his arse for personal issues of his own making.

Thats what he does though. John Stones is one of the best defenders in the world in a 5-0 win. He looks confident and classy on the ball, strides forward into midfield, knocks the ball about and isn't in a position to be shown up defensively. So in a season where the team dominate games and rack up 100 points, I have no doubts he looks bloody decent.

We are now in a position defensively, with no Kompany or Laporte, where he has to be the senior player/partner and look at whats happening. He's a chancer. A fair-weather footballer who looks good when everything is going in his favour. I wouldn't want him in the trenches with me when things aren't so rosy.

and yet he still managed to get stuck in and clear that effort off the line v Liverpool, essentially giving us the title, that was a sunny day though, so probably explains it.

and yet he still managed to get stuck in and clear that effort off the line v Liverpool, essentially giving us the title, that was a sunny day though, so probably explains it.

Worth remembering that clearance came because his first attempt to clear the ball was just kicking it into Edersons face in a blind panic.

That sort of sums up Stones' City career to me, even his best moments seem to always be accompanied with disaster. He's finally coming good and then he's injured, he plays some amazing games and then drops a massive bollock. He starts scoring goals at corners but his defending falls apart again.

I completely wrote him off post-Liverpool, which was maybe a touch harsh because I still think there's a tiny chance he comes good. I just don't expect it anymore, and won't waste any energy as a fan investing in hoping he does it, because he's had so many false dawns and Pep's time here, which might go down as the golden age of this club, is quickly running out and Stones isn't contributing to the level he should have.

Last edited:
You said he hadn't developed over the last 4 years, so even with these mythical ratings from some random website, he must have developed a tiny we bit into being the number one defender in Europe, even if it was for just half a season as he wasn't called that at Everton, this is why I commented.

His form is shot to pieces but that is form not actual talent, Stones can not play rotation, he needs to be playing pretty much weekly or he loses his form, it has happened every time he has been injured, he comes back in and makes mistakes, with a run in the team these usually subside.

Currently, I believe his head is up his arse for personal issues of his own making.

I don't get the excuses, really. He should know the basics of defending even though he is not playing games every three days. He is on the training pitch with Guardiola every day and has been for 4 years. Laporte being out for a few weeks and then getting back in and he is still playing like he was never gone in the first place.
Stones hitting his low should still be at a higher level.

Come on, he has never been "the number one defender in Europe", not even for a month, sorry but it's nothing more than a ridiculous statement.

We need someone like Varane, Ruben Dias or Skriniar to challenge him for his spot.

Having a defensive line solely dependent on Laporte being fit is not Champions- or even Premier League material, it will fall apart like a house of cards when hit with an injury.
Right now we're 9p behind Liverpool, and we wouldn't be with Laporte fit. Therefore, we need another CB just like him. Pep knows this.

Reactions: cjn
I don't get the excuses, really. He should know the basics of defending even though he is not playing games every three days. He is on the training pitch with Guardiola every day and has been for 4 years. Laporte being out for a few weeks and then getting back in and he is still playing like he was never gone in the first place.
Stones hitting his low should still be at a higher level.

Come on, he has never been "the number one defender in Europe", not even for a month, sorry but it's nothing more than a ridiculous statement.

We need someone like Varane, Ruben Dias or Skriniar to challenge him for his spot.

Having a defensive line solely dependent on Laporte being fit is not Champions- or even Premier League material, it will fall apart like a house of cards when hit with an injury.
Right now we're 9p behind Liverpool, and we wouldn't be with Laporte fit. Therefore, we need another CB just like him. Pep knows this.

Timescale is everything and in the original post I did say "people on here" but as you are just brand new you won't have been around in 2017 to read the accolades he was receiving at this time, but like every football site in existence, the fans are fickle and the dissenters come out in force when a players form drops, they spew garbage and reach for other sites with stats to back them up, why they want to be proved so right on the fact that a City player is, in fact, utter gash is beyond me, they often don't just make the statement and fuck off happy in the knowledge that they have expressed their own sentiment that the said player is shit but are quite happy to repeat themselves again and again and again.

There is even a fella on here that thinks David Silva is not that good and overrated, I am not lying there actually is.

But anyway back to 2017 and the not improved under Pep at all John Stones.

Brace yourself...

https://tbrfootball.com/how-john-st...-one-of-the-best-central-defenders-in-europe/

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...gareth-southgate-world-cup-2018-a8046971.html

https://www.mcfcwatch.com/2017/10/2...-is-european-footballs-pass-master-in-201718/

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...stones-among-europes-best-defenders-hkssq8bpc

Have a goodnight, my argument is done.

He needs to grow a pair, bulk up and start defending.

Considering he’s a CB, he always strikes me as a player who actually doesn’t like defending. He’d rather back away from the attacker than actually put a foot in.

It’s a shame as I had hoped that Stones would go on to take the mantle from Vinny, however, I don’t even think he’s a very good ball playing defender anymore.

It’s rare that he carries the ball forward and he only ever seems to make the simple passes these days. Contrast that with Laporte who will pass through the lines and ping cross field passes and, dare I say it Maguire who storms forward with the ball, I don’t see what Stones offers for City or England.

He was poor for Everton too before we signed him. It was risky purchase especially for the price. Looks to have backfired. Should be 3rd choice CB from January onwards when we hopefully get quality RCB to partner Laporte long term. Only then our defence will be truly elite level.

Timescale is everything and in the original post I did say "people on here" but as you are just brand new you won't have been around in 2017 to read the accolades he was receiving at this time, but like every football site in existence, the fans are fickle and the dissenters come out in force when a players form drops, they spew garbage and reach for other sites with stats to back them up, why they want to be proved so right on the fact that a City player is, in fact, utter gash is beyond me, they often don't just make the statement and fuck off happy in the knowledge that they have expressed their own sentiment that the said player is shit but are quite happy to repeat themselves again and again and again.

There is even a fella on here that thinks David Silva is not that good and overrated, I am not lying there actually is.

But anyway back to 2017 and the not improved under Pep at all John Stones.

Brace yourself...

https://tbrfootball.com/how-john-st...-one-of-the-best-central-defenders-in-europe/

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...gareth-southgate-world-cup-2018-a8046971.html

https://www.mcfcwatch.com/2017/10/2...-is-european-footballs-pass-master-in-201718/

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...stones-among-europes-best-defenders-hkssq8bpc

Have a goodnight, my argument is done.

Thanks, but brace myself for what exactly? You basically confirmed my thoughts with all of your links.

1. Being a pass master among defenders in Europe is not really what we need, even though a good passing ability is crucial, we need defenders like Laporte who knows how to defend well.
2. Southgate says Stones 'has all the attributes' to become one of the best defenders in Europe. It doesn't mean he actually is, or a guarantee that he will be. Also, Southgate is the manager of England so he has to give his players confidence, it's his job to say stuff like that.
3. The boot room? Is that a serious source?

I've seen City the past 8 years so you don't have to worry about me missing John Stones back in 2017. He was great. But he is not great anymore, that's my point, and I don't seem to be alone given other peoples comments. You know it is not illegal to criticize one of our own players right? We all have demands and I believe four years playing under one of the worlds best managers should be enough to improve your game. He sure has improved from his time at Eveton, but it is still not enough, not if we want to be the very very best on the planet, we can't have any weaknesses.
John seem to not even like defending. He is far too passive and has no aggression, not the best attributes as a centre back. Honestly, I would like to see John playing as a CDM instead, and maybe move Rodri into CB instead to play with Laporte. But that won't happen.

Thanks, but brace myself for what exactly? You basically confirmed my thoughts with all of your links.

1. Being a pass master among defenders in Europe is not really what we need, even though a good passing ability is crucial, we need defenders like Laporte who knows how to defend well.
2. Southgate says Stones 'has all the attributes' to become one of the best defenders in Europe. It doesn't mean he actually is, or a guarantee that he will be. Also, Southgate is the manager of England so he has to give his players confidence, it's his job to say stuff like that.
3. The boot room? Is that a serious source?

I've seen City the past 8 years so you don't have to worry about me missing John Stones back in 2017. He was great. But he is not great anymore, that's my point, and I don't seem to be alone given other peoples comments. You know it is not illegal to criticize one of our own players right? We all have demands and I believe four years playing under one of the worlds best managers should be enough to improve your game. He sure has improved from his time at Eveton, but it is still not enough, not if we want to be the very very best on the planet, we can't have any weaknesses.
John seem to not even like defending. He is far too passive and has no aggression, not the best attributes as a centre back. Honestly, I would like to see John playing as a CDM instead, and maybe move Rodri into CB instead to play with Laporte. But that won't happen.

No, your point was he has not shown any signs of improvement under Pep, I did say this in an earlier post.

I also said that was why I replied as it was utter crap, he did improve as in the 100point season he was fucking imperious at the back and I also said he is out of form.

A whole 8 years support, ah well, I best put myself back in my box and bow down to your superiority and knowledge.

As for the criticising players bit, did you not read what I put in the previous post, I take it you didn't as you replied yet again lol

Folk's come on and say fuck me he was shit and leave the thread, then there are others that will argue black is white with any other City fan that disagrees with their assessment of the player, I always wonder what you/others get out of it, some of the player threads are full of this shit, VK's some folk had him finished and he was a liability and was just embarrassing himself, Zabba's the very same, like I said a guy argued for weeks that David Silva was overrated and was actually shit, at this point I feel like screaming "you have said your piece now shut your fucking mouth and move on" but I am always far too polite to be that rude.

Alf mate, relax, we are supposed to be welcoming everyone on this forum, even glory supporters from over the pond.

As far as Stones goes...

He's out of touch at moment, but when in touch he is a lovely player to watch. Works well with Laporte. Not so well with Otamendi as neither of them take charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.