John Stones - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’d be good in a different set up. In ours he is asked to defend 1 on 1 and he can’t do it. So for us it’s time to ship out. Same as otamendi.

To be honest though, I’m still gobsmacked how with 5 minutes left we allowed zaha (their danger man) a one in one with stones in the box. Fucking shocking game management from everyone.

He’d be good in a different set up. In ours he is asked to defend 1 on 1 and he can’t do it. So for us it’s time to ship out. Same as otamendi.
In our system, we require so much from our defenders.

I'm sure if he played in other teams that regularly sit in a deep block and play counters he would be a great defender.

But in our system, where every game, and it just happens not the teams fault, he has to defend 1 on 1 due to how we play, we need reliability. He doesn't offer it enough.

Pretty much only asked to defend 4 times in that game. First time he brings down Zaha and should have given away a pen. Second time he loses the header on the corner and they score. Third time he completely loses Ayew on a ball over the top and luckily Ederson saves it. Fourth time he is one on one with Zaha and just gets breezed past.

There is no set up that works for a defender who cannot defend

I'm sure if he played in other teams that regularly sit in a deep block and play counters he would be a great defender.

But in our system, where every game, and it just happens not the teams fault, he has to defend 1 on 1 due to how we play, we need reliability. He doesn't offer it enough.
Yes it’s become clear. I like him and he’s not alone I that deficiency. But we need to prioritize defenders who can defend 1 on 1. We leave it that way so many times and it’s not going to change whilst pep is in charge.

He is a defender who cannot defend. In this City side, he has to do less defending than he would at 99% of other clubs out there. If he can’t be successful here, he has absolutely no fucking chance anywhere else.

Watching Stones on TV and watching him.live are two completely different views of watching him, literally. Only when you see him live do you realise how wasteful with the ball at his feet he is! Second half today I watched him closely from no than 30 yards of his defensive positive. Couldn't believe the space he had ahead of him but he always went for the easy option every time of passing short, usually to Fernandinho. One of his supposed best attributes is his ball playing ability. We're not seeing that at the moment or much of his other footballing attributes. Can't see Pep having faith much longer in him TBH.

He is a defender who cannot defend. In this City side, he has to do less defending than he would at 99% of other clubs out there. If he can’t be successful here, he has absolutely no fucking chance anywhere else.
I understand the idea, but really its the difference in how he has to defend.

In other teams he has more "defending" but its simpler defending, in a pack with other players.

In ours, while he has to do that rarely, and definitely on corners, the most important defending is 1 on 1 that happens when we inevitably get countered. The counters happen, its not anyones fault, but its the hardest thing to do as a defender, its literally why players like Laporte, Van Dijk are the best defenders in the world. They do all the fancy bits, but can add in with correct decision making in 1 on 1s.

That decision making is either don't be stupid and just foul/kick the ball out (Stones is too timid here), or make a correctly timed tackle (Stones kind of okay here), or jockey them out wide into a difficult position for when our team can come back to defend (Stones doesn't think about this enough).

I'm willing to wait until he gets up to full match fitness before deciding he's the worst player to play in the Premier League since Gundogan. There's the signs of something good in there still and if I can be patient with Mendy I can be patient with him.
John is like walcott,everyone waits for them to take that step and fulfill their potential but they just get to it and then drop backwards , he was never going to get a better chance to become the leader than this season but he hasn't taken it

I do take into consideration whats going on in his life but he did bring that on himself by cheating and breaking up his family so limited sympathy,he is being shown up by dinho which is ridiculous

He was very good but mentally he has gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.