John Stones - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s part of the great frustration with him. For the greater part of the game, I thought he did pretty well. He was marking tight, aggressive, moving into midfield. But he’s just always got one or two big mistakes in him, every game.
We should never have allowed Zaha to be in running at him at that stage - criminal, really, when you see how the situation arose. But he’s got to do better to either engage earlier (and foul if necessary) or put his body on the line to make fucking sure he blocks the cross. It was a dismal attempt in the end.
Can’t shrug the feeling that he’s just piss weak mentally.

he should have battered Zaha as soon as he got the ball. Far enough from the goal, moderate danger from cross, take one for the team and we win the game.

Most modern day defenders back away from there man (which never works) & invite them into the box. Stones is probably the most inviting of them all & it's so frustrating to watch, the ball was there for the taking. He defends like Michael Ball hes constantly running away.
But when Van Dijk does it he’s “the best defender in the werld la”

to be honest, van dick deals with it on the end most of the times. And he is the best defender in the world.
He does and is obviously a better defender than Stones but he’s guilty of running away from attackers. As for him being the best in the world, I may be biased but he’s in a system that suits him. He wasn’t a world beater at Southampton and hasn’t been one for his country. He has three workhorse defensive midfielders shielding him, remember that. Top player nevertheless but I wouldn’t say he’s the best CB in the world.

Stones needs to see a sport physocologist to sort himself out. Most definitely confidence issues, he wasn't this awful before. And he has looked empty inside for a while, the eyes give it away

Weak, timid, soft, shite.

Guardiola should have serious questions to answer regarding the whereabouts of Eric Garcia. No way that he treats a senior first team player like that if they've performed well in games. Treats the young players like shit whilst handing out free passes to players who constantly show zero bollocks
I'm not sure Pep treats our young players like shit mate, but I do get what you're saying. Foden has probably suffered most, and Young Garcia and other promising CB 'Hairywood-Balls' must be champing at the (ball bag) bit; )

Joking apart, Garcia and Harwood Bellis are young natural position CBs starting to get important minutes, and it's frustrating ( for both them and us blues) that Stones is still bumbling about defence incompetently whilst having to be mollycoddled by a makeshift CB with the confidence and experience that Stones should already have every time he plays. Sadly Stones is looking a broken man right now and is even more panic stricken when he partners Otamendi.

I can only think he gets game time over two promising youngsters (mainly Garcia right now) because Pep(and coaches) are trying their very best to either instil the lost confidence and belief in him by showing continued faith that John Stones can be polished into top class carat diamond. Either that or Pep's painfully trying to polish his current turd like qualities sufficiently enough to put him in the shop window enough to sparkle enough to any potentially interested clubb to make a purchase on. At the moment his value is plummeting, hopefully, Stones can somehow pull things round.

I really hope Stones can finally let his big ball drop enough to command games for us when the going gets tough, instead of being a nearly man that will regress (if he doesn't soon realise his mettle in a sky blue shirt) to slipping down the leagues into football obscurity of yesterday's men. That could happen and has happened to many players(for various reasons) over the years. You're only as good as your last game as they say, and time is running out, if it already hasn't run out and he's to be sold on in the near future...

He's done a job for us but sadly hasn't progressed. We need to move him on and buy two new CBs, preferably one home grown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.