John Stones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sold on Stones. Makes many errors, and its Jagielka who leads the Everton defence. Everton with 55 goals conceded is one of the worst defences in the league. Better than only the bottom 5 clubs.

Much like Sterling - all hype and we would be paying for potential rather than a high quality centre half.

That's an awfully simplistic way too look at things. Lescott was average at best. The problem hasn't been replacing Lescott. Every CB we've had since has been far superior. The problem is keeping Komps healthy and fostering CB chemistry and continuity. Lescott was a ripoff at 24 million 6-7 years ago. It's the equivalent of paying 55 million now. Silva cost us about similar.

Lescott made Kompany a better player when next to him & was part of, imo, the best cb pairing City have had since Watson & Doyle.

The rest of Komapny's partners since have just dragged him down a level & made him work harder.

None have been fit to lace Lescott's boots as defenders & probably don't even keep the ball significantly better in spite of all the criticism he received for that. On top of that he was a great personality who fought heart & soul for the team .

Imo that makes him a bargain, & one of the key signings of the era where we turned from serial losers to winners & we will be lucky to replace him with the next 100 mil we spend. As a defender we probably won't replace him. We'll just learn to accept much less because the passing is good

For me buying stones would be a punt, and an expensive one at that. We've not exactly been successful with the last few centre halves either.

It is most definitely a punt & for that reason I don't understand it.

I can understand it if the reason for signing him is fear, that he becomes good somewhere else & we miss out, but I don't get it how he is the best option we could possibly have for cb.

If you just take his basic set piece defending, it's been fucking woeful. As bad as Nastasic, worse than Boyata. Weak. Sure, he can learn to be better 'if' & only 'if' he is made of the right material.

But why do we have to be the club who pays a load of money to sort out that, & everything else wrong in his game ? Why do we want to make it our problem & not let it be someone elses?

There is really no other kid anywhere we could work on for less cost ? Maybe one who naturally likes fighting for & winning the ball under pressure at corners etc, for example, rather than having to be taught it ?

If Everton rejected around £40M from Chelsea what exactly are they expecting now? I guess we have to sign our obligatory"pull your pants down" signing. £50M.

If Everton rejected around £40M from Chelsea what exactly are they expecting now? I guess we have to sign our obligatory"pull your pants down" signing. £50M.

They turned down that bid off the back of a fantastic debut season for Stones and they'd be mad to turn down that kind of money this time.

Oops, forgot I was talking about Everton for a second.

Lescott made Kompany a better player when next to him & was part of, imo, the best cb pairing City have had since Watson & Doyle.

The rest of Komapny's partners since have just dragged him down a level & made him work harder.

None have been fit to lace Lescott's boots as defenders & probably don't even keep the ball significantly better in spite of all the criticism he received for that. On top of that he was a great personality who fought heart & soul for the team .

Imo that makes him a bargain, & one of the key signings of the era where we turned from serial losers to winners & we will be lucky to replace him with the next 100 mil we spend. As a defender we probably won't replace him. We'll just learn to accept much less because the passing is good

Said the same about Lescott as soon as he left and was ridiculed on here by one of the footballing Pellegrini loving experts who resides on this site.

Our CB partnership has gone downhill ever since he left as you so rightly say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.