John Stones

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm assuming you play/played Sunday league football

Stones reminds me of the them tall centre backs who are hard to get past. The first thing that will come to your mind when you see them is that they're shit until reality kicks you in the assessment

Stones has had a shit season but then again he has been playing under an awful manager so I wouldn't judge him based on this season

Is it the same awful manager who gave Stones the chance to play regularly and big offers came to him after Martinez coached him ?

Is it the same awful manager who gave Stones the chance to play regularly and big offers came to him after Martinez coached him ?

Yup, the same manager who doesn't have a job and got Wigan relegated and has finished bottom half of the table for 2 seasons running with a decent Everton squad

What he has going for him is that he's a Pep sort of defender. But we know how much Laporte is going to cost, so it would be silly to spend more than that on Stones. Unless the English thing is that important. The other thing I'd say about him is that Mourinho wanted him. And that's a manager who knows how to build a defence.

Yup, the same manager who doesn't have a job and got Wigan relegated and has finished bottom half of the table for 2 seasons running with a decent Everton squad

But Martinez finished 5th in his first season when stones didn't play half as much...!! Sounds like Stones arrival as a first team regular sent there historically tight defensive unit into free fall to me...!!

We should offer 5m and let Chelsea out bid if they want him.

He's a liability. And I know liabilities.

I think Lescott was an absolute bargain when you look at how much we've spent failling to replace him.
That's an awfully simplistic way too look at things. Lescott was average at best. The problem hasn't been replacing Lescott. Every CB we've had since has been far superior. The problem is keeping Komps healthy and fostering CB chemistry and continuity. Lescott was a ripoff at 24 million 6-7 years ago. It's the equivalent of paying 55 million now. Silva cost us about similar.

With Kompany's future, let's say, uncertain, we need 5 CBs.

Given that we don't want a mammoth squad with certain players never playing and costs needing to be taken into account, some of these 5 CBs will need to be versatile enough to play other positions - some of which good enough to start in these other positions. This is something Pep wants anyway.

Mangala and Demichelis will leave so we're left with Kompany and Otamendi.

Denayer will return from loan.

Laporte will probably be signed.

That gives us 4 with Denayer able to play RB (and, I think, start there)

From what I've seen I think Stones can play DM. And that, as well as his age and potential to be part of a very long term back 4 with Denayer and Laporte, is why I would sign him.

Furthermore, Stones sat infront of a back 4 of Denayer Otamendi/Kompany Laporte and an attacking left back, would give us the option of switching between 3 and 4 at the back with Stones simply needing to drop in.

Everton promised him he could leave this summer. I would do the deal. People were slagging off Barkley this time last year after a poor season. Some silly things were being said. A few months later, before Everton downed tools under a dead man, he was on fire and BM was singing his praises. I think a similar story will occur if Stones ends up elsewhere.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.