John Stones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here you go
As it's the Daily Hail and you may not want to click on the link, this was written last October and it says he had three and a half years on his current deal to run and Everton were opening negotiations to extend the term and increase his salary

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ach-defender-renegotiating-current-terms.html

Wikipedia (about as reliable as the Mail) said a 5 1/2 year deal when he joined in Jan 13, so it should be up in summer 18. Either way, I don't think he actually signed an extension, so he has 2 or 3 years left, which is one less than last year. He's done nothing this year to improve his reputation, if anything, he's damaged it.

Personally, don't think he's worth more than a £15m gamble (still a 5 fold increase for Everton), although I know Everton wouldn't accept that, but anything over £30m is madness.

Lescott was a decent player, but he was never worth £24m and when the price was getting that high we should have looked at the alternatives and this is no different. If you went looking for a Ford Focus and the dealer wanted Mercedes money for it, would you still buy the Ford on the grounds that was what you'd originally expected?

Fernando could do the same CB role as Stones and splash the cash on more needed full back replacements who can offer energy and a goal threat to add to defensive duties.

Not sure about him. Very calm and comfortable on the ball. Everything that Phil Jones is not. yet he makes a lot of mistakes. Alonsgide a quality experienced centre-back I think he could prosper, but alongside a struggling centre-back he could crack.

Wikipedia (about as reliable as the Mail) said a 5 1/2 year deal when he joined in Jan 13, so it should be up in summer 18. Either way, I don't think he actually signed an extension, so he has 2 or 3 years left, which is one less than last year. He's done nothing this year to improve his reputation, if anything, he's damaged it.

Personally, don't think he's worth more than a £15m gamble (still a 5 fold increase for Everton), although I know Everton wouldn't accept that, but anything over £30m is madness.

Lescott was a decent player, but he was never worth £24m and when the price was getting that high we should have looked at the alternatives and this is no different. If you went looking for a Ford Focus and the dealer wanted Mercedes money for it, would you still buy the Ford on the grounds that was what you'd originally expected?

I think Lescott was an absolute bargain when you look at how much we've spent failling to replace him.

Lescott was great at the time, and I loved how we bullied Everton and wouldn't take no for an answer.

If we continued to do transfers like that instead of being too nice and not ambitious enough we'd have won so much more in the last two or three seasons.

Identify the very best player for the position we need, and pay his agent what it takes to unsettle the player, and keep coming back with bigger offers to the club until they crack and can't refuse. Just get Pique and Thiago Silva and stop fucking about hoping average centre backs become world class.

I think Denayer is gonna be our main RB next season since he's spent most of his loan playing there and doing well. That means we are gonna need at least one ball playing defender. Mangala is shit with the ball so he will likely be on his way. I do agree £50 million is too much for Stones but if we can get him for less then I think he is worth the gamble. A lot of people are going to need to rethink what they think a defenders job is when Pep gets here. Kick it into row Z types aren't going to cut it and Stones is very good with the ball at his feet.
But Stones doesnt defend particularly well which is the important bit.

Me on FB to an Everton supporting mate: "Talk of us buying Stones. What you think?."

Him in reply: "TAKE HIM NOW!"

Seems the Everton fans don't rate him as much as the media.

I would have more concerns about signing Stones if Pelle was still here....Pep has a history of developing and building teams and I feel thats what was missing at Everton and what has held Stones back the last couple of seasons........Pep can develop and use these players correctly...Stones has the potential and I would trust Pep to be able to get the most out of him...

So torn on this one. A few friends/ people I know who I respect as having particularly high football knowledge, some of which are in the industry have said they think Stones is the next big thing and that he's going to prove everyone wrong and develop in to one of the worlds best defenders but..... I just cant see it. whatever it is, I cant see it.

I'm assuming you play/played Sunday league football

Stones reminds me of the them tall centre backs who are hard to get past. The first thing that will come to your mind when you see them is that they're shit until reality kicks you in the assessment

Stones has had a shit season but then again he has been playing under an awful manager so I wouldn't judge him based on this season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.