John Stones

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do people think will happen to denayer if stones signs? I'm all for stones joining but I would like to see denayer given a chance in the squad at least which is looking increasingly unlikely

If it's a straight choice between Denayer and Stones, Denayer can go. We have Tosin and Humphreys who will IMO go on to play for the club in that position. Denayer is probably a victim of his own talent. Too good to be a squad player but not good enough to be one of our top 3 centre backs.

I agree I think Koeman did a great job at Southampton and if Mangala was to go with him on loan, I think he would really benefit.
He may well but in my opinion he will be lucky to start under Pep.He looks like Lescott when the balls at his feet,so indecisive as to what to do with it and some of the "telegraphing" passes he does.Looks so very uncomfortable on the ball and thats not one of Peps type of players.I`m not suggesting that he`s not good enough for the PL,but he may well have to move to another club.

So are you suggesting we replace a goalkeeper with someone who is worse off in between the posts but is better on the ball? That's crazy I'm afraid

If we hypothetically lose 4-3 because our keeper could have stopped 2 goals, but distributed the ball well; we have still lost due to poor goalkeeping. As I've said before a goalkeepers job is to stop goals; technical ability is nice to have but is most definitely secondary to his shot stopping, positioning, etc.

I'm saying that if you have a keeper who can't do what Pep wants, then you will have to replace him. Some keepers are better in some areas than others. Joe is not the best at everything. Therefore the guy who replaced him wouldn't have to be. If Joe was a bit better on crosses but the other guy was miles better at covering behind the defence for example, then he would likely cost us less goals, in a Pep team, than Joe would. If on the other hand Joe became 'almost' as good as a sweeper keeper, then his superiority on crosses would mean Joe was better.

They wouldn't be replacing Joe with some mug. It would be a quality keeper.

Actions speak louder than words

Who have we really, really pushed hard for in the transfer market to replace Joe?

However we have been on the brink of signing laporte who backed out last minute and Stones is looking likelier by the day; so we have attempted to sign two big money centre backs whereas we haven't really been in the market for a top class goalkeeper

Rulli will likely replace Joe in the long term but for now it's looking like Joe is going to be number one for another season

I have no idea either way but we have been linked with a whole shitload of keepers, more than any position I would say. Have we not signed one already ?

I would prefer Joe to be able to pass the ball & stay. If he can't he's gone very soon imo.

I'm saying that if you have a keeper who can't do what Pep wants, then you will have to replace him. Some keepers are better in some areas than others. Joe is not the best at everything. Therefore the guy who replaced him wouldn't have to be. If Joe was a bit better on crosses but the other guy was miles better at covering behind the defence for example, then he would likely cost us less goals, in a Pep team, than Joe would. If on the other hand Joe became 'almost' as good as a sweeper keeper, then his superiority on crosses would mean Joe was better.

They wouldn't be replacing Joe with some mug. It would be a quality keeper.
The point is though that there aren't many candidates to replace him really

Anyway, better stop going off topic cause I'll likely get castigated by the mods haha :)

He may well but in my opinion he will be lucky to start under Pep.He looks like Lescott when the balls at his feet,so indecisive as to what to do with it and some of the "telegraphing" passes he does.Looks so very uncomfortable on the ball and thats not one of Peps type of players.I`m not suggesting that he`s not good enough for the PL,but he may well have to move to another club.

It is going to be very interesting to see how things pan out under Pep.

We all have opinions about players and their respective abilities, but we are entering a phase where things are clearly going to be less predictable than under MP and may see many surprises over the coming months.

Can't wait for the start .

So what you're suggesting is that under Pep, our go to move will be passing backwards to Jo for all build up. Pep, than man who reportedly demands 3 options for the player on the ball, will want it going back to Jo? That's your argument?
The simple fact is that although far from the perfect player Jo is one of the best players in his position going. There has been clear directives from managers for him to kick the ball wide and from others to always roll to the first defender. He's ability to be able to cope in our new look system is not for people on a internet form to decided without a game being played.

Have you ever actually watched a Guardiola team play football? If you had, you'd know that the goalkeeper is always involved in the build up, it is why Neuer makes 25 passes (not goalkicks) per game. Because he's constantly involved in playing out from the back. If the opposition try and pressure the centrebacks, pass it to the keeper to play out, if they pressure the keeper, than somewhere on the pitch you have a player free.

It was the same at Barcelona.

And your suggestion is that he just forgets something he's always done as a manager, something that's fundamental to how his teams play, because one player lets everything down.

Anyway this is the Stones thread so move it to the ter-Stegen thread if you want to reply, put it in there!

The point is though that there aren't many candidates to replace him really

Anyway, better stop going off topic cause I'll likely get castigated by the mods haha :)

Bravo or ter Stegen would both be great candidates.

And one of them is going to be looking for a new club this summer. So it's worked out perfectly really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.