John Stones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playing with inferior players though better players equals better % IMHO

Played in a very 'pass friendly' system though, with a lot of occasions where he could stand around & knock easy passes off.

My point isn't that he can't pass the ball anyhow, it's the way that he's being hyped as Beckenbauer & our own players, past present & future dismissed as being vastly inferior footballers.

Played in a very 'pass friendly' system though, with a lot of occasions where he could stand around & knock easy passes off.

My point isn't that he can't pass the ball anyhow, it's the way that he's being hyped as Beckenbauer & our own players, past present & future dismissed as being vastly inferior footballers.

Mangala is like bambi on Ice with that ball at his feet.
Otemendi is on his arse to much to pass.
They were just going sidewards and back to hart for that %
Thing with stones is he can pass through the lines.
Will make or brake the window for me but just my opinion

Not at all.

But can they possibly be so far out that players who are totally shit on the ball are so close to this footballing god ?

Or is Stones being ridiculously overhyped & our players being unjustly criticised ?
Or is there a huge difference between passing between the two centre backs and/or giving it to Yaya than taking it forward and starting an attack with a pass.

That's why your comparisons are ridiculous.

And I rate Lescott, Mangala and Otamendi but Stones is on another level from a ball playing point of view.

And I rate Lescott, Mangala and Otamendi but Stones is on another level from a ball playing point of view.

He is, but all three are above him from a pure defending standpoint. And I think ball-playing should be like an optional bonus extra, with solid, relible defensive ability being the #1 priority, which is why I don't think Stones is good enough to start ahead of Otamendi. Yet.

If Pep can teach Stones how to defend, though... that's a very different story.

Not at all.

But can they possibly be so far out that players who are totally shit on the ball are so close to this footballing god ?

Or is Stones being ridiculously overhyped & our players being unjustly criticised ?

I'm sure if you got Fernando's pass percentage and Silva's pass percentage out they would be similar.

Who's the better passer by a mile?

One plays a ton of easy sideways passes that slows the game down. The other tries more difficult passes that wins you games.

Same thing.

Pep needs someone who can successfully play through the lines. Quickly and accurately. Also be able to deal with pressure on the ball.

Anyone really think Mangala falls in that category?

It's not in doubt. Who would I rather have fighting at the back post with Andy Carrol would give a different answer. But please don't get Mangala's passing stats out.

In one of Pep's books he talks about when he arrived at Munich how little Boateng had been taught about defending and how he defended on instinct and often made mistakes. Pep worked intensively with Boateng in the early stages and turned him into a much better defender without impacting on his ability to be a ball playing CB.
People quite rightly talk about Stones being caught in possession regularly last year. Under Pep's system when playing out from the back he likes the man in possession to have at least 2-3 passing options thus reducing the likelihood of being caught on the ball. So hopefully a few weeks coaching from Pep will hopefully allay our fears and we will see the player Pep believes he can be.

He is, but all three are above him from a pure defending standpoint. And I think ball-playing should be like an optional bonus extra, with solid, relible defensive ability being the #1 priority, which is why I don't think Stones is good enough to start ahead of Otamendi. Yet.

If Pep can teach Stones how to defend, though... that's a very different story.

You may see it as an optional bonus but the man in charge sees it as vital.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.