John Stones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting thought, let him go on loan, gets game time, can’t play against us so weakens them, if he performs well and gets his mojo back we bring him back

It’s not one that’s really desirable for us, however. We need the money, so him sitting for a year and improving himself and Arsenal sounds okay, but then he’s a year further into his contract and of less value when we need to sell. Probably happen, then. :-(

Think Pep has decided his time here is over. A complete enigma, as on his day he can be absolute quality, just that these days do not come often enough. A real shame both for himself and the club. It may be that a new club is best for both parties.

It’s not one that’s really desirable for us, however. We need the money, so him sitting for a year and improving himself and Arsenal sounds okay, but then he’s a year further into his contract and of less value when we need to sell. Probably happen, then. :-(

Under more usual conditions I would doubt that the mighty Arse would agree a loan deal unless it had a buy option that they could trigger at the end of it. Why would they spend a season putting him in their first 11, living with him getting settled in, and ultimately getting him back to form, for us to say "thanks very much" and take him back or sell him to someone else at the end of it?
However, they are seriously stuck for money, and making dozens of club staff redundant, so that may have a bearing on the situation.

I'm hoping he'll stay now that Garcia's gone because he's actually not anywhere near old for a CM and he could give us maybe a good 6 years if he can get his mojo back.

Under more usual conditions I would doubt that the mighty Arse would agree a loan deal unless it had a buy option that they could trigger at the end of it. Why would they spend a season putting him in their first 11, living with him getting settled in, and ultimately getting him back to form, for us to say "thanks very much" and take him back or sell him to someone else at the end of it?
However, they are seriously stuck for money, and making dozens of club staff redundant, so that may have a bearing on the situation.

I'm hoping he'll stay now that Garcia's gone because he's actually not anywhere near old for a CM and he could give us maybe a good 6 years if he can get his mojo back.

And if he cannot find his mojo?

With hindsight, we’d have been better playing Stones in every game after the return and telling him he had to prove himself in that time or ciao. We’d have won most of those games anyway, which would have gotten some confidence back, but our management clearly misread the signals coming from Garcia and now have another problem.

And if he cannot find his mojo?

With hindsight, we’d have been better playing Stones in every game after the return and telling him he had to prove himself in that time or ciao. We’d have won most of those games anyway, which would have gotten some confidence back, but our management clearly misread the signals coming from Garcia and now have another problem.

I agree, there's no guarantee with mojos but it may have helped him find his if he'd had a run of games.

Think Pep has decided his time here is over. A complete enigma, as on his day he can be absolute quality, just that these days do not come often enough. A real shame both for himself and the club. It may be that a new club is best for both parties.

I definitely hope so and I don’t think Garcia leaving will change anything. This just means we need another two centrebacks as we’re replacing Stones, Otamendi and now Garcia.

We need a Koulibaly world class player and a decent 4th choice.

I’m not waiting another minute for Stones to find his ”mojo”. He played under the worlds best and most demanding coach for 4 years, and simply put, failed to convince Pep his future lies at this club. It’s nobodys fault but his. Everyone who watches football at the highest level hopefully knows when they see a quality centreback. There are so many better options out there than Stones. It’s time to cut ties with the weak links. That being said he has all my respect for what he has accomplished at the club.

Last edited:
I definitely hope so and I don’t think Garcia leaving will change anything. This just means we need another two centrebacks as we’re replacing Stones, Otamendi and now Garcia.

We need a Koulibaly world class player and a decent 4th choice.

I’m not waiting another minute for Stones to find his ”mojo”. He played under the worlds best and most demanding coach for 4 years, and simply put, failed to convince Pep his future lies at this club. It’s nobodys fault but his. Everyone who watches football at the highest level hopefully knows when they see a quality centreback. There are so many better options out there than Stones. It’s time to cut ties with the weak links. That being said he has all my respect for what he has accomplished at the club.

I agree re Stones. Not because I don't like him but for his own best. As best mate I would tell him to leave City behind and kickstart his career at Arsenal or Chelsea.

But I don't think we would need another CB besides Koulibaly.
I think Fern can easily cover (hopefully) KK with THB getting some cup minutes too.
Even Tosin could come into play, let's see what Pep thinks there.

If Aouar (Bennacer) arrive - which I expect - DM/AM will be stocked while Fern offers enough defensive and build-up quaility for most opponents at RCB.

I agree re Stones. Not because I don't like him but for his own best. As best mate I would tell him to leave City behind and kickstart his career at Arsenal or Chelsea.

But I don't think we would need another CB besides Koulibaly.
I think Fern can easily cover (hopefully) KK with THB getting some cup minutes too.
Even Tosin could come into play, let's see what Pep thinks there.

If Aouar (Bennacer) arrive - which I expect - DM/AM will be stocked while Fern offers enough defensive and build-up quaility for most opponents at RCB.

Im not sure I fancy going into another season short of quality at the back. I’m not sure pep fancies it either.

Im not sure I fancy going into another season short of quality at the back. I’m not sure pep fancies it either.

I can agree. Another injury to Mendy means Aké has to cover LB, meaning short of options on CB if we only have KK and Laporte. I still believe we need four quality options as CBs. Playing Ferna there again won’t be very successful.

I think either West Ham or Everton would take Stones for around 30m

Newcastle would have taken Stones in a heart beat if they had been taken over & probably a better fee would have been paid

I like Stones & would love him to stay & get his head screwed on unfortunately he has off field problems that Pep sees him as a pain in the squad rather than an asset at this moment

Interesting couple of weeks ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.