John Terry [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Is anyone that arsed if John Terry doesn't sign?

Good read from Football365 about it :

Chelsea Should Cash In On `Symbol` Terry
Posted 07/07/09 09:47EmailPrintSave

"John Terry is a symbol of this team. He will be captain next season. He said he wants to stay forever and we want to keep him for ever. Now there is a question of Manchester City, but for Terry (there is) no price. Terry will be at Chelsea forever" - Carlo Ancelotti, July 6.

There's been much hand-wringing and indignation at Chelsea this week at the suggestion that Manchester City are trying to chuck oodles of cash in the direction of John Terry, hoping he can be tempted up north.

Leaving aside the hilarity of Chelsea getting annoyed because a club is trying to bully someone with the size of their wallet, one wonders quite why Chelsea are quite so concerned that someone is willing to pay north of £40million for Terry.

Our boffin friends over at Opta were good enough to knock up some stats that showed Chelsea actually have a better record when Terry is out of the side than when he's in, winning 68% sans Terry and 64% with him. Of course stats like that can be misleading and can be interpreted in many different ways (indeed, Chelsea's defence is tighter with him in place, conceding an average of 0.54 goals per game next to 0.86 when he's absent), but it does illustrate a point.

Players like Terry are supposed to be 'big game' performers, but one of Chelsea's big problems last season was their dire record against the other big boys. Of their six league games against the rest of the 'Big Four', they only won once, and that was against Arsenal as both teams' league seasons dribbled to a meaningless conclusion. Terry was present in all six of those games.

He's becoming something of a disciplinary liability too. He was booked ten times and sent off twice last term, and although his dismissal for rugby tackling Jo against City was rather scandalously overturned, he's no good to anyone suspended.

There's also the injury factor. While he still managed 35 league games last season, he has a back complaint that requires extensive attention after every game, something that is only going to get worse with age.

Something else that is only going to decline as time takes its toll is his pace, which is his major weakness anyway. When an already slow man's legs become heavier, he becomes a passenger.

Chelsea's stance may well be very different if it was Real Madrid or another continental side with deep pockets chasing Terry, rather than City.

Their position as the top nouveau riche cash-splashers in the Premier League disappeared last September, and City's ability to solve problems by throwing money at them will no doubt make Chelsea uncomfortable.

If Terry is sold then some will interpret it as a sign of weakness, but Chelsea should not choose pride over what would be a sensible move, both in a financial and footballing sense. They would have to spend big to fill Terry's boots, but he is far from the irreplaceable colossus that some would have you believe.

Chelsea also need to consider Terry's commitment to the cause. A fair bit has been made of his silence since City made their last bid, but the man is on holiday - he can't be expected to respond to satisfy the media. Then again, City's faces have only just recovered to their natural shade after the Kaka debacle in January, so they would be foolish in the extreme to get involved in another big money saga if they didn't think there was some chance of success.

Some reports suggested on Monday that £45million would be the magic figure that would persuade Chelsea to do business, and so they should.

Terry is clearly an excellent player, and perhaps a 'symbol' for Chelsea, but if they are serious about becoming a self-sustaining, viable business as soon as possible, they should not turn down such an excellent price for a man whose ability is only going one way.

Nick Miller

Re: TERRY BETTING NOT SUSPENDED

blueinsa said:
Is anyone else of the opinion that this board should be taken off for lets say just 24 hours to allow everyone to grab a shower and maybe something to eat, maybe even see the wife and kids again and venture outside for a bit of fresh air?

Might even allow us to cool down and stop us trying to rip each others cyber throats out!

AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately some of us are stuck in the UK so its bloody raining but I have to agree a 24 hr lockdown on the Transfer Forum sounds like a good idea, Testosterone levels are at record levels.

I'll fight the lot of you! GRR!

I've never thought he was a jaw-droppingly awesome player, but alot of it is the sheer cheek if we did get him. Everyone in world football knows who JT is, like Kaka, and for us to sign that prestigious name....I think that has alot more to do with why I want him, as it will attract more and more.

No. I'm not bothered either way about it personally.

If he comes then it's a nice surprise and it'll be great to see him playing for us.

If he doesn't come then it was expected and it's no great shock.

I'd rather have a player with something to prove that had the desire to make this club great like Lescott.

If Terry comes then he's won everything anyway hasn't he? What's the point in laying his reputation on the line to try and take this club to the next level when he's on a top wage, has regular CL football and is held in the highest regard @ his current club?

Would not bother me. Still think we will end up with a couple of decent centre halves.

Hes 29 at the end of the day and has problems with his back....

Not that fussed personally.... At the right price would be a good signing... but a fee of 35m upwards... not for me...

I agree with that, this might be a crazy thing to say now but I would personally prefer Matthew Upson. The only thing Terry has ahead of a player like Upson for me is the image side of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.