Joleon Lescott

Personally I'm confused by how far down the choices Lescott is.

I have no argument about Kompany being 1st choice (when fit) and do appreciate the quality of Nasty. I can't understand how Joleon can be lower than third choice (if not alternating with Nasty).

I accept that sometimes he isn't 'cool' on the ball and sometimes gets caught out of position. I believe he does this less than the alternatives. I would like to see his stats on winning headers as seems to do well (iirc) and remember him and Kompany as being the best CB pairing for two seasons - has anything changed in his playing style/fitness/mentally to stop him being chosen.

Centre-back partnerships are crucial and Lescott and Kompany were the best in the country in our title winning season. They would still be my first choice but Lescott fell down the pecking order under Mancini and it's continued under Pellegrini. I don't know why.

The main weakness in Lescott's game is that he isn't particularly comfortable with the ball at his feet. As a defender he's absolutely fine, good aerially, tackles well, positionally he's ok, strong when challenged. However, as a footballer he leaves a fair bit to be desired. He's certainly some distance behind Kompany, Nastasic and Demichelis when it comes to control and passing. Pellegrini, and Mancini, like their centre halves to control teh ball and pick out a pass, they don't want them lumping it forward, or into the stands. I believe this is the main reason why Lescott has fallen down the pecking order.

Lescott isn't the most gifted with the ball at his feet but he's a defender and a good one. He would not have got done as easily as Demi last night. As for lumping the ball away, he rarely does thst. He just gets rid soon as to the nearest player, so they can use it.

Matty said:
The main weakness in Lescott's game is that he isn't particularly comfortable with the ball at his feet. As a defender he's absolutely fine, good aerially, tackles well, positionally he's ok, strong when challenged. However, as a footballer he leaves a fair bit to be desired. He's certainly some distance behind Kompany, Nastasic and Demichelis when it comes to control and passing. Pellegrini, and Mancini, like their centre halves to control teh ball and pick out a pass, they don't want them lumping it forward, or into the stands. I believe this is the main reason why Lescott has fallen down the pecking order.
I generally like my defenders to be able to defend and the last 2 seasons we have proved to be not as good as we were when him and Kompany were starters at the back

To be honest, I think Lescott's main problem (other than his ball skills) is that he doesn't really put his mark on games, he seems far too effected by who he is partnered with. When Kompany plays, he leads the defence and normally greatly imprvoes whoever he is alongside, but Lescott seems to just go along with whatever his partner is doing. If his partner looks shaky, then he looks shaky, if his partner starts dropping too deep then he follows suit. For someone his age and with his experience, he should be a lot more commanding, so if he gets put with an inexperienced partner then he should be helping him along, rather than adding to the confusion

Can see him leaving on a free in the summer and Liverpool or arsenal snapping him up

Good 7 out of 10 player whenever he plays, I like him

forevermancity said:
Can see him leaving on a free in the summer and Liverpool or arsenal snapping him up

Good 7 out of 10 player whenever he plays, I like him

Got stoke or west ham written all over him. I just don't think he's got the feet foot skills for those clubs. He'll want guaranteed minutes.

Its worrying that so many can not see just what a liability Lescott is.

He has little or no pace coupled with a mental speed that would shame a sloth, gets out muscled by far smaller players and his passing is limited to short range back or sideways.
He may well be a nice bloke, but as a player he`s a f*cking big liability who is far more likely to cost us than help our cause, the sooner he is shown the door the better.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.