Jordan Henderson wins FWA Footballer of the Year

There you have it. Everything that is wrong with English football coaching supplied in those comments by that coach. Henderson is a workhorse. It's great that he has made so much of his limited ability (like James Milner) but we should aspire to excellence. Thankfully things are changing in England with young stars like Foden, Sterling, Greenwood etc etc.

I agree but its only changing in top academy, we need grassroots to change so we are spoiled for choice with lots of Fodens to choice from. All the time grassroots football is about the manager/coach ego nothing will change. I was seen as an odd manager/coach, playing out from the back, encouraging the players to do tricks or use skill to beat a player. I was quite on the touchline allowing the lads to learn from their mistakes. It didnt get us many results against the rough long teams, but by the time the team reach 18, 19 we were so much better than the teams that had been coached to play rough and long because my kids were know just as big but alot more skillful !

There you have it. Everything that is wrong with English football coaching supplied in those comments by that coach. Henderson is a workhorse. It's great that he has made so much of his limited ability (like James Milner) but we should aspire to excellence. Thankfully things are changing in England with young stars like Foden, Sterling, Greenwood etc etc.

@give it to gordon I'll include you in this reply rather than answering both.

While I agree with you both on the state of underage football I think you're both being incredibly harsh on the chap, he never spoke about the naturally talented types like Foden or Silva, of course there is a place for them but reality is they are in the 0.0000001% of players. I suppose it depends on your believe in god given talent, could Pep take a 5 year old at random and have him play like Iniesta when he hits 19? I don't think that is possible, the child needs some level of natural talent.

The point the coach was making was kids with a basic level of talent (not 2 left feet) could be trained and coached into a professional if they have the right attitude. Nothing wrong with that at all.

@give it to gordon I'll include you in this reply rather than answering both.

While I agree with you both on the state of underage football I think you're both being incredibly harsh on the chap, he never spoke about the naturally talented types like Foden or Silva, of course there is a place for them but reality is they are in the 0.0000001% of players. I suppose it depends on your believe in god given talent, could Pep take a 5 year old at random and have him play like Iniesta when he hits 19? I don't think that is possible, the child needs some level of natural talent.

The point the coach was making was kids with a basic level of talent (not 2 left feet) could be trained and coached into a professional if they have the right attitude. Nothing wrong with that at all.
Ok fair point but don't forget that this is a country where Alan Pardew and Tony Pulis have been named Managers of the Year! That suggests we have a long way to go.

I think I would rather my kid be coach with Peps view of the game than a long ball rough typical English player/coach.

Personally choice I guess ;)

I referee kids football, at the highest level you wouldn't see a long ball from one end of the season to the next. When all is said and done that will be Peps legacy ( to the game, not Manchester City).

Yeah it is who you know and not what you do,the media here are so up the arses of the history clubs and hate the dirty oil arabs that our players and managers find it hard to get anything,they would have looked stupid to not give it to pep after what he has achieved but I bet they didn't want to do it
Didn't Sterling win the same award last season that Henderson did this year?

I referee kids football, at the highest level you wouldn't see a long ball from one end of the season to the next. When all is said and done that will be Peps legacy ( to the game, not Manchester City).

That's good to hear my opinions are based on around 10 years ago when grassroots football around here was all about waac. It was nothing to do with coaching or improving the kids it was all about winning. So big kids long ball style, abusive parents on the touchline.
I was involved only on the edge of a organisation which was trying to change grassroots football GUBOG ( give us back our game ). It was about taking grassroots away from the manager/coach ego and making it about the kids not a mini premier league. Paul Copper ( not the Ipswich keeper ) did get things changed like going from 7 aside to 9, to 11 aside , youth goals on youth pitches. It was mad going from 7 aside mini pitches straight onto full size pitches and goals at under 11 which it use to be. My first game as a coach at under 11's was on the biggest mens pitch in the area and full size goals it was ridiculous. Thankfully grassroots has improved since the 2010....

Personally with that view point he shouldnt be anywhere near coaching kids. That sort of grassroots coaching just shows how far behind we are in this country compared to others. All about the big kid who can throw his weight around in dodge tackles cheered on by just as limited parents. The little skillful kids are kicked out of grassroots by the bigger kids which alot coaches wants because it means he walk into his office on Monday, chest puffed out ...."yea my under 11's won 15-nil .

I had a team of little lads that no other teams wanted because they were to small, most other coaches would say after beating/bullying us of the pitch " you are the most skillful team we have played" !. We would finish about mid table below all the other teams made up of Henderson's !. Plus playing on crap pitches with a gale blowing suited those teams.

Can you imagine the damage that sort of coach is doing ti all the kids that want to play like Silva, Messi or even our Phil.

Ther is so much wrong with our grassroots football and he sounds like one of the. !
Being a short arse didn't hurt Messi in the long run. And on a lesser note, we've had some decent tiny players. Baines and Nevin spring to mind.

You have completely missed the point. A coach can't turn a 10 year old into a 6.3" giant or teach a forward to run at near Olympic sprinter speed. He can teach them to be Henderson or Milner, they are ordinary in every way bar their work ethic. It's a brilliant example for all kids, ordinary can succeed with the right attitude. Harry Kane falls into this category too, not particularly tall or fast, no skills or tricks, he is sheer determination and willingness to learn and improve. Like the other 2 he is a great role model not just for football but work rate in all aspects of life.
If you call telling ref after ref to fuck off a good example

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.