Jose Mourinho.

Mourinho is a great manager but some people seem to think he would be the key to instant success and the answer to all our prayers. As I said, looking back at the last season he hasn't been able to improve Inter at all, and his signings have been complete flops. He may feel he needs more time to do his job there this time, but if Ibrahimovic can't be convinced to stay I think it will be hard for him without a couple of proper replacements...the funds would of course be available from selling Ibra but again his signings thus far hasn't worked.

If our owners wanted to go the Chelsea route with wasteful spending and just buying superstars left and right no matter what it costs then Mourinho is probably the right guy for the job since he can get everyone to pull together. If they instead see it as more of a long term investment then JM probably isn't the way to go...think the latter route will also earn us a bit more respect. That's why I would love to see MH work, just so that everyone in the media will have to hold their hands up and admit they were wrong. He hasn't quite convinced me just yet though.

GoForGlory said:
Mourinho is a great manager but some people seem to think he would be the key to instant success and the answer to all our prayers. As I said, looking back at the last season he hasn't been able to improve Inter at all, and his signings have been complete flops. He may feel he needs more time to do his job there this time, but if Ibrahimovic can't be convinced to stay I think it will be hard for him without a couple of proper replacements...the funds would of course be available from selling Ibra but again his signings thus far hasn't worked.

If our owners wanted to go the Chelsea route with wasteful spending and just buying superstars left and right no matter what it costs then Mourinho is probably the right guy for the job since he can get everyone to pull together. If they instead see it as more of a long term investment then JM probably isn't the way to go...think the latter route will also earn us a bit more respect. That's why I would love to see MH work, just so that everyone in the media will have to hold their hands up and admit they were wrong. He hasn't quite convinced me just yet though.
I think you;ve just about summed up my feelings in full.It would be great if MH takes us forward,and City become such a strong force,that throwing large sums of cash won;t be required in the future.I;d love to see even better quality kids coming through the ranks.One day a player like Kaka would be pritty pi@@ed if we don;t go in for him,and that for me would be the key for sustained success.We want player who want to play for you before we sign them.I hate to say it ,but Trafford rovers enjoy that,and I;m convinced the fact that they have managerial stability and of course success ,has been the major key for them..So whoever is manager next season,MH or ? they need to be part of this club for a very long time..Swapping managers for fun works on the contenent but for some reason ,not in the prem..

It isn't just on the Continent that they change managers like underpants, it's the same in Argentina. A few months ago I did a quick tot-up with Boca, River, Racing, Inter, Milan, Real, Barca, Bayern, Ajax, Juve...the only thing I could think of is consistency in quality, and stability in "vision". Stability-thingie maybe a necessary condition to sustained success, but it isn't sufficient.

The number of coaches / managers these clubs have had is frightening, we're just amateurs at changing managers, so how do they do it? A couple of weeks ago someone on here pointed out that the real elephant in the room with City was not change, it was quality, and he asked how many of City's managers over the last 30 years have actually moved up / on to manage clubs that win stuff?

barney8 said:
Marvin said:
Chippy_boy said:
I can't understand why there is anyone on this forum who would want to stick with a manager who is clearly not "world class" and wait for 3 or 4 seasons to see if he can improve (his own skills) enough to get us to the top? Why on earth should the richest club in the world want to do that?

If Hughes really can be one of the worlds best managers (and he is *definitely* not that at the moment) then let him hone his skills elsewhere thanks.

You only have to look at the miracles Arsene Wenger can work with a bunch of kids to see the gulf between Hughes and a world-class manager. The results we have had, with the money spent and the skill on offer are just not good enough. He doesn't get the team working well enough together, consistently enough. Critically for me, we don't have a "system". We rely too much on individual skill - which luckily we have in abundance - and not on a system that we all play to and understand. Even lowly opposition play us and clearly they have a method, a plan. They know what they are doing and go about the task. We just don't.

If we can get a really really TOP manager, surely it makes total sense to sack Hughes at soonest opportunity. I just can't understand why anyone would think otherwise.
You're making this up. I don't think I've been surprised once this season by the line-up or formation. There might be more point in questioning why City play the same system away from home.

Hughes was in the running for the Chelsea job if you remember, and now that he has been appointed, and has one season under his belt, it makes sense to give him time, especially when the club is progressing. If we were not, or we had an evidently poor manager, I'd be in favour of change. There aren't that many proven managers ariund with a cv that includes trophies. Reflect on 2 major apointments by Premiership clubs, which at the time you probably approved of: Scolari and Ramos. They worked well
But are we? Progressing compared to first half of the season maybe, but remember: We will get less points this season than we did last. Wich is a joke really, considering the fact that MH has spent £110 million on new players.
But last season finished on a very low note, and this season we have had the UEFA Cup which has affected the League form. It's hard to say where we'd be without the UEFA Cup, but there's no doubt in my mind it has cost us points.

This season has been one of transition. And despite what Sven managed to achieve in his first few weeks as manager, typically it takes time to build a squad.

Brucie Bonus said:
It isn't just on the Continent that they change managers like underpants, it's the same in Argentina. A few months ago I did a quick tot-up with Boca, River, Racing, Inter, Milan, Real, Barca, Bayern, Ajax, Juve...the only thing I could think of is consistency in quality, and stability in "vision". Stability-thingie maybe a necessary condition to sustained success, but it isn't sufficient.

The number of coaches / managers these clubs have had is frightening, we're just amateurs at changing managers, so how do they do it? A couple of weeks ago someone on here pointed out that the real elephant in the room with City was not change, it was quality, and he asked how many of City's managers over the last 30 years have actually moved up / on to manage clubs that win stuff?
ha ha true-I think most have iether dropped a league or 2 or gone out of managment for ever-We seem to have the kiss of death for them and england players for that matter..:-)

GoForGlory said:

You must read different media. Most of the media would welcome Hughes staying. He has in fact had a relatively easy ride from them and his side of the story has been prominent in several papers over the season.

The Mourinho/Inter part is only of passing interest to me but I do know two things in that Mancini won his first title after Juve were stripped of it and he won his second with Juve in Serie B. AC Milan I think had points deducted last season (I could be wrong and can't be arsed to look it up) so this is the season when Inter were competing on a more level playing field with the other two therefore I would disagree that JM hasn't improved Inter. At the very least he has maintained their superiority with tougher competition.

JM has not set the world alight with his purchases. You can argue that Ranieri had a better eye for a player but what it is unarguable is that no matter what group of players JM ends up with he will get the best out of that group - he will get more from them than any other manager on the planet. And that is why I want him at City. Whether we buy superstars or barcode cast offs he will win match after f**king match. Very few can do what JM does and it will be worth every penny if we can get him

Brucie Bonus said:
A couple of weeks ago someone on here pointed out that the real elephant in the room with City was not change, it was quality, and he asked how many of City's managers over the last 30 years have actually moved up / on to manage clubs that win stuff?

Only a handful of our ex-managers have achieved anything of note in management at the same level as we were at when they left us (or higher).

Coppell resurfaced at Palace and ended up taking Reading into the PL for the first time in their history.

Reid took Sunderland into the PL and had two finishes in the top seven before losing the plot a bit.

McNeill bombed at Villa but returned to Celtic and won a championship despite Rangers having much more cash.

Allison won a double in Portugal with Sporting Lisbon.

Neither Bond nor Kendall, whom fans generally would probably not have wanted to see leave at the time, ever did a great deal afterwards.

So it's hardly a list of people whom we released only to see them go on to achieve greatness.

The last one who did anything really major was probably Ron Saunders, who within 8 years of leaving us had won promotion, two League Cups and a title with Villa, then left them in the European Cup QF which they went on to win with his team.

So either we've picked a load of duds down the years who were never going to achieve much in management. Or we're a managerial graveyard. Or both. Probably both, I reckon.

But we have a manager, and should give him opportunity to prove himself. If he fails, then we can have this discussion. The very worst you can say at the moment is that the jury is out

Mourinho was brought into Inter to win the Champions League, or at least improve upon their poor record, and he failed dismally. He's not popular in Italian football, judging by what I've read, but we're having this bizarre discussion assuming we have a vacnacy and he's available.

A manager with any credibility will honour his contract and the task that he has set himself

BobKowalski said:
GoForGlory said:

You must read different media. Most of the media would welcome Hughes staying. He has in fact had a relatively easy ride from them and his side of the story has been prominent in several papers over the season.

The Mourinho/Inter part is only of passing interest to me but I do know two things in that Mancini won his first title after Juve were stripped of it and he won his second with Juve in Serie B. AC Milan I think had points deducted last season (I could be wrong and can't be arsed to look it up) so this is the season when Inter were competing on a more level playing field with the other two therefore I would disagree that JM hasn't improved Inter. At the very least he has maintained their superiority with tougher competition.

JM has not set the world alight with his purchases. You can argue that Ranieri had a better eye for a player but what it is unarguable is that no matter what group of players JM ends up with he will get the best out of that group - he will get more from them than any other manager on the planet. And that is why I want him at City. Whether we buy superstars or barcode cast offs he will win match after f**king match. Very few can do what JM does and it will be worth every penny if we can get him

And had the title sewn up with about 5 games to go. I think Inter would have won the title that season regardless of whether or not Juve were there or other teams had had points deducted.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.