Jose Mourinho

I apologise in advance for the length of this post.

I am sorry to interrupt this Mourinho love-in but I thought I would highlight a few of the negatives of having the self-appointed Special One (or as Ancelotti satirically referred to him “His Speciality”) becoming our next manager in the summer.

I know a lot of people believe Mourinho is invincible but whether you like it or not he does have his drawbacks. Someone posted a piece from a Porto fan a few weeks back on Mourinho which is an excellent read. It is undeniable that Mourinho is a bona fide winner and there is not a lot wrong with that; I know many City fans crave success however it comes about but we have to start looking longer term and see if Mourinho really is the right choice. He seems to only stay at clubs for 2-3 years at a time and has a destabilising effect on whatever club he leaves. Although he is loved by the fans, Mourinho does seem to alienate many of his former players. I remember when he was at Chelsea Mackele was saying how Mourinho wins for himself and takes the limelight from his players. Closer to home, he did not seem to have a very good relationship with our very own Bridge and Sweep. He seems to be genuinely loved by Terry and Lampard, but that is probably because he gave them so much importance. I get the feeling a lot of his ex-players admire him for what he has achieved but do not share any great affection for him. As much as I like Mourinho he is a media whore and everything becomes about him and not his football (one of the major criticisms they have of him in Italy). If he comes, he will instantly be bigger than City, and all you will have in the press are Clough-esque ‘one-liners’, criticisms of referees, and controversy! Yes, it will be entertaining but, we will become even more of a media circus than we already are (hardly the impression Sheikh Mansour wants the club to display).

In addition, if Mourinho does come, you can pretty much forget about Aguero, Villa, Kaka, Ribery, Ibrahimovic or any other superstar turning up at Eastlands. Mourinho is the boss, and he does not suffer fools gladly, as the Porto fan said, he buys talented players (not big names) who give there all for HIM on the pitch, and has never managed egos (unless he gave them that ego i.e. Terry) very well (alienated Ibra, Balotelli at Inter, Robben, Shevchenko at Chelsea).

Also, it would not take long for many fans to get on his back, as leaving aside his distaste for flair (his ego more than makes up for it), or fireworks on the pitch (his personality creates fireworks off the pitch) he does make some bizarre tactical decisions which would drive many a Bluemoon-er up the wall. At Chelsea, he sometimes stuck Robert Huth upfront and then instructed his team to proceed to launch long balls up to him, a trick he recently repeated with Materazzi at Inter!

A couple of points about the Real Madrid job. I understand that the lack of control Mourinho would get at the Bernabéu would not rest easy with his ego but he has stated time and time again that he wants to be the first manager to win the Premiership, Seria A and La Liga so he will eventually have to mange in Spain. Now, he has burnt his bridges with Barca, whose fans still refer to him in the derogatory manner of ‘the translater’ (the position he held when Sir Bobby Robson was managing at the Nou Camp) and unless he fancies himself turning Valencia or Sevilla into Champions, he has no choice but to eventually cave in to Perez’s demands and take the Madrid job (with or without complete control). If Mourinho comes to us before he manages in Spain then the lure of La Liga will always be an issue which I fear may destabilise the club. The better option would be to let him go to Madrid, complete his dream and when he has no distractions and if we are not successful by then welcome him to City. I only think he will last 1 season at Madrid (unless he wins the Champions League with them at the first time of asking). He will most probably win La Liga in his first season get to the semis of the Champions League and then unceremoniously get sacked for playing boring football (despite La Liga success, the Madridistas will not tolerate anything other than free-flowing football as Capello found out to his detriment TWICE (1997, 2007)).

Another point I would like to make is that do not believe all the rubbish you read in the papers about Mourinho being the best manager who ever lived, etc ,etc. The Press love him because he always gives them something to write about where other managers just talk about the match Mourinho will bring up swine-flu, eggs and any number of quotable back page headlines. While undoubtedly a great manager (who is still very young), out of those still currently in management I would put Capello, and Del Bosque above him. Also, I rate Guardiola above him as what he achieved in his first season in 1st team management (at the tender age of 38) was astonishing, an unprecedented treble plus 3 more trophies. Remember he took over a Barca team that had not won La Liga for the last two seasons and which was plagued by fractures (Ronaldinho, Eto’o etc.). He is also a humble character who unites, a stark contrast to Mourinho’s divisive personality.

You also have to realise that at both Chelsea and Inter Mourinho inherited very good squads, and in the case of the latter Mancini has already built him a title winning team which all he had to do was maintain. The only place where Mourinho had to actually build his team was at Porto, where he finished 3rd in his first season before winning back to back titles. If people think that the Italian league is poor, I wonder what they think of the Portuguese League! By contrast as I have stated in previous posts, Mancini has shown that he is a winner, and has an illustrious track record of building teams (his success at Fiorentina, Lazio and Inter are testament to that).

Mancini is making do with the players he has, Mourinho, Hiddink, Capello, Guardiola, del Bosque or any other top manager, would not be able to turn what we have into swash-buckling Barca-esque champions. Mancini admittedly has a relatively weak record in Europe (2 QF’s and a last 16) yet he has done enough with his previous clubs (3 Seria A titles, 4 Coppa Italias, 2 Italian Supercups) to convince me that he deserves more time at City. If we do not finish top 4 this season and next year we are not challenging for the title then calls for the ‘Special One’ may justifiably grow louder but for now I suggest we stick with the One Baciato dalla grazia*!

*’kissed by good fortune’

DTeacher said:
Chances are that we WILL be in the Champions League next season and this could well clinch the deal.

Don't count your chickens. This is going to the wire and currently hangs very much in the balance. I agree that if we were to get champs league that it could clinch the deal

DTeacher said:
3. He wants significant funds to achieve his aims.
Which Clubs will offer him this? Real Madrid and CITY.

Can someone please provide proof of this?

Forzacitizens said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
Suppose it's a bit like humour being lost on different cultures.

Americans don't get sarcasm and irony.

Italians clearly don't care for Jose's special brand of ego.

probably, he also said that the media bow down to him in England haha. I don't suppose you have heard anything about JM and city Tolmie?

You haven't been paying attention, Son.

The Fat el Hombre said:
DTeacher said:
Chances are that we WILL be in the Champions League next season and this could well clinch the deal.

Don't count your chickens. This is going to the wire and currently hangs very much in the balance. I agree that if we were to get champs league that it could clinch the deal

Don't worry - I am certainly NOT counting any chickens...lol. That's why I wrote 'chances are' and this COULD clinch the deal, which you seem to agree with, tbf.

DTeacher said:
3. He wants significant funds to achieve his aims.
Which Clubs will offer him this? Real Madrid and CITY.

Can someone please provide proof of this?

Do you need any proof of City and RM being able to provide him with significant funds? Surely, there is a precedent already?

The word 'significant' is the er 'significant' word in this. United, Liverpool et al haven't got the funds the aforementioned have....unless a takeover is imminent?

Danamy said:
MCFCinUSA said:
if that's so how much of your money would you like to stake on it?

I had £100 on it last Oct with Victor Chandler whilst Hughes was still in charge @ 9/1 :)

well quote the person i got told this off "put your house on it", not naming names but its the same person who told me about the stadium expansion and i made a thread about it months before all the talk about it came out.

hbruz80 said:

I am sorry to interrupt this Mourinho love-in but I thought I would highlight a few of the negatives of having the self-appointed Special One (or as Ancelotti satirically referred to him “His Speciality”) becoming our next manager in the summer.

I know a lot of people believe Mourinho is invincible but whether you like it or not he does have his drawbacks. Someone posted a piece from a Porto fan a few weeks back on Mourinho which is an excellent read. It is undeniable that Mourinho is a bona fide winner and there is not a lot wrong with that; I know many City fans crave success however it comes about but we have to start looking longer term and see if Mourinho really is the right choice. He seems to only stay at clubs for 2-3 years at a time and has a destabilising effect on whatever club he leaves. Although he is loved by the fans, Mourinho does seem to alienate many of his former players. I remember when he was at Chelsea Mackele was saying how Mourinho wins for himself and takes the limelight from his players. Closer to home, he did not seem to have a very good relationship with our very own Bridge and Sweep. He seems to be genuinely loved by Terry and Lampard, but that is probably because he gave them so much importance. I get the feeling a lot of his ex-players admire him for what he has achieved but do not share any great affection for him. As much as I like Mourinho he is a media whore and everything becomes about him and not his football (one of the major criticisms they have of him in Italy). If he comes, he will instantly be bigger than City, and all you will have in the press are Clough-esque ‘one-liners’, criticisms of referees, and controversy! Yes, it will be entertaining but, we will become even more of a media circus than we already are (hardly the impression Sheikh Mansour wants the club to display).

In addition, if Mourinho does come, you can pretty much forget about Aguero, Villa, Kaka, Ribery, Ibrahimovic or any other superstar turning up at Eastlands. Mourinho is the boss, and he does not suffer fools gladly, as the Porto fan said, he buys talented players (not big names) who give there all for HIM on the pitch, and has never managed egos (unless he gave them that ego i.e. Terry) very well (alienated Ibra, Balotelli at Inter, Robben, Shevchenko at Chelsea).

Also, it would not take long for many fans to get on his back, as leaving aside his distaste for flair (his ego more than makes up for it), or fireworks on the pitch (his personality creates fireworks off the pitch) he does make some bizarre tactical decisions which would drive many a Bluemoon-er up the wall. At Chelsea, he sometimes stuck Robert Huth upfront and then instructed his team to proceed to launch long balls up to him, a trick he recently repeated with Materazzi at Inter!

A couple of points about the Real Madrid job. I understand that the lack of control Mourinho would get at the Bernabéu would not rest easy with his ego but he has stated time and time again that he wants to be the first manager to win the Premiership, Seria A and La Liga so he will eventually have to mange in Spain. Now, he has burnt his bridges with Barca, whose fans still refer to him in the derogatory manner of ‘the translater’ (the position he held when Sir Bobby Robson was managing at the Nou Camp) and unless he fancies himself turning Valencia or Sevilla into Champions, he has no choice but to eventually cave in to Perez’s demands and take the Madrid job (with or without complete control). If Mourinho comes to us before he manages in Spain then the lure of La Liga will always be an issue which I fear may destabilise the club. The better option would be to let him go to Madrid, complete his dream and when he has no distractions and if we are not successful by then welcome him to City. I only think he will last 1 season at Madrid (unless he wins the Champions League with them at the first time of asking). He will most probably win La Liga in his first season get to the semis of the Champions League and then unceremoniously get sacked for playing boring football (despite La Liga success, the Madridistas will not tolerate anything other than free-flowing football as Capello found out to his detriment TWICE (1997, 2007)).

Another point I would like to make is that do not believe all the rubbish you read in the papers about Mourinho being the best manager who ever lived, etc ,etc. The Press love him because he always gives them something to write about where other managers just talk about the match Mourinho will bring up swine-flu, eggs and any number of quotable back page headlines. While undoubtedly a great manager (who is still very young), out of those still currently in management I would put Capello, and Del Bosque above him. Also, I rate Guardiola above him as what he achieved in his first season in 1st team management (at the tender age of 38) was astonishing, an unprecedented treble plus 3 more trophies. Remember he took over a Barca team that had not won La Liga for the last two seasons and which was plagued by fractures (Ronaldinho, Eto’o etc.). He is also a humble character who unites, a stark contrast to Mourinho’s divisive personality.

You also have to realise that at both Chelsea and Inter Mourinho inherited very good squads, and in the case of the latter Mancini has already built him a title winning team which all he had to do was maintain. The only place where Mourinho had to actually build his team was at Porto, where he finished 3rd in his first season before winning back to back titles. If people think that the Italian league is poor, I wonder what they think of the Portuguese League! By contrast as I have stated in previous posts, Mancini has shown that he is a winner, and has an illustrious track record of building teams (his success at Fiorentina, Lazio and Inter are testament to that).

Mancini is making do with the players he has, Mourinho, Hiddink, Capello, Guardiola, del Bosque or any other top manager, would not be able to turn what we have into swash-buckling Barca-esque champions. Mancini admittedly has a relatively weak record in Europe (2 QF’s and a last 16) yet he has done enough with his previous clubs (3 Seria A titles, 4 Coppa Italias, 2 Italian Supercups) to convince me that he deserves more time at City. If we do not finish top 4 this season and next year we are not challenging for the title then calls for the ‘Special One’ may justifiably grow louder but for now I suggest we stick with the One Baciato dalla grazia*!

Great post mate. I don't like how he takes the credit for everything his team achieves either. I also want a long term manager, not one who will use us as a stepping stone to Real Madrid

hbruz80 said:

i posted that piece by the porto fan and its scarily accurate and a brilliant read

A bit of perspective please.

JM won Chelsea two titles with arguably the strongest squad in Europe. In Italy as has ben pointed out Mancini built a great Inter squad which Mou has taken over.

Porto yes phenomenal achievement.

But I reckon Mancini can do just as good a job for us. And hope he stays.

And do we have to have this post everytime Mou opens his mouth?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.