Josko Gvardiol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Signing him and not using him primarily as a CB would be stupid
We play 4 CB's now with Stones pushing up into midfield so it's a back 3 at times. Gvardiol is also quick and has great passing ability, he's a step up from playing Ake, Akanji on the left of the back 4/3

Well, well...surprise surprise...

Seems logical that we are very much "in" for him.

Makes perfect sense as some here already were aware. This was my attempt to outline why here in early August:

1 year ago (2 Aug, 2022) some may recall other than that recent re-post this long post I wrote, citing data and quoting various articles to offer:

My humble attempt to provide a summary of Gvardiol intended to demonstrate some key reasons he could readily fit into a sort of cyborg combination of Walker + Cancelo on the left as a hybrid LB/CB Pep desires from defenders and why we could very well be targeting him (and a key bonus reason mentioned at the end)

Take a look at the post if you wish, but whilst you may not too bothered...

perhaps stick around for the lat bits I'll post below on:
  1. How Gvardiol differs from our other defenders

2. COULD offer something even more in some version to what we've seen from Stones, Lewis, Akanji, Cancelo, Delph and other defenders before under Pep
I cited this 4 part summary from one of the articles

Hone in on the 1st 3 points on Josko below

Even if we know the value with the 4th on Gvardiol on being one who loves defending has risen within the back line as per Pep and Ake's comments the other day.

- A Constant Threat in Attack
- A Forward-Thinking Presence in Defense
- Final Third Penetration: Exploiting the Opponent’s Defensive Line
- Defensive Style: Beautifully Old-School

THe attacking bits and everything about him make me almost want to attempt use of the term:

BOX TO BOX BALL PLAYING ATTACKING WIDE DEFENDER

In Football Manager this could be some combo of:

- Wide Central Defender on Support or Attack meets Inverted Wing Back / on Support or Attack
- who also has strong defending attributes of bravery and aggression.

THis leads to my final words in that post that I still WONDER about Gvardiol here with how...

Pep used Stones & Akanji at times and Lewis both this past season and pre-season with runs with the ball FAR into the opposition half making runs into the box...

the idea I propose doesn't sound mental to me at all given the realities with losses in midfield and Pep being...Pep:

Here's what I wrote:

Lastly, there may be another potentially hidden factor of signing Gvardiol for Pep.

Pep could very well see Gvardiol as an additional rotation calibre no. 6-8 along with LB/CB.

That would mean the bonus of adding a left footed, hard working, dynamic CB/LB/CDM/CM we may need very soon.

Why?

We are set to likely lose Gundo and Bernardo next summer
and that would mean we could have to spend massively on 2 midfielders, whilst also considering KDB's age.

By adding Gvardiol to the squad one can see such a conversion bing plausible as Pep did with Lahm, Delph, Zinchenko improving depth to mitigate the potential loss of Bernardo, in particular as he both are left footed.

Absolutely any player in world football could have a 'lowlights' reel made about their performances, with film of every mistake they have made. I always prefer the Gerard Houllier approach on this one, remembering him talk about looking only at a player's strengths when assessing what they could bring to the team. This guy is universally regarded as one of the best young players in the game, and potentially the world's best defender. How can you not be pleased with a purchase like this one if you are a Manchester City supporter?

Absolutely any player in world football could have a 'lowlights' reel made about their performances, with film of every mistake they have made. I always prefer the Gerard Houllier approach on this one, remembering him talk about looking only at a player's strengths when assessing what they could bring to the team. This guy is universally regarded as one of the best young players in the game, and potentially the world's best defender. How can you not be pleased with a purchase like this one if you are a Manchester City supporter?
Are you sad we’re didn’t give Callum Doyle a chance instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.