Josko Gvardiol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never seen a back four/five like it (Dias, Stones, Akanji, Aké, Gvardiol). With Laporte if he doesn't go, although he almost certainly will. Oh and Ed behind that lot.
I distinctly remember in the late seventies watching Liverpool's defence, with Clemence behind it, and having the depressing feeling that it was like trying to break down a granite wall with your bare hands. The difference is that football's moved on, and your defenders are also supposed to be able to play forty-yard midfield passes that split the opposing defence in two. Nobody asked Tommy Smith to do that!
I mean it. Haven't seen this quality at City. Nor anywhere.
And you missed out Walker to boot (presuming Laporte is gone).

And you missed out Walker to boot (presuming Laporte is gone).

I remembered him. I'll get pelters, but I honestly don't quite rate Kyle as a defender at strictly the same level as the others. It may seem ridiculous to say that Akanji — who came in on a very modest basis — is better than Kyle, but if he's limited to strictly doing his job, and not asked to do any fancy stuff, then I actually think he is on the basis of last season. May be a case of one swallow does not a summer make, though. Akanji is definitely made better by those around him. They all are.
Kyle is a decent defender, and terrific in attack when he's got his mojo working.
He's also ageing a bit. I'd be sorry to see him go, but not surprised. Hope he doesn't go to fucking Bayern, though…

Never seen a back four/five like it (Dias, Stones, Akanji, Aké, Gvardiol). With Laporte if he doesn't go, although he almost certainly will. Oh and Ed behind that lot.
I distinctly remember in the late seventies watching Liverpool's defence, with Clemence behind it, and having the depressing feeling that it was like trying to break down a granite wall with your bare hands. The difference is that football's moved on, and your defenders are also supposed to be able to play forty-yard midfield passes that split the opposing defence in two. Nobody asked Tommy Smith to do that!
I’m really excited at the prospect of seeing teams come up against this lot …. I got the following quote in a fishing report this morning … made me smile :)

“Fishing during the last few weeks and expecting to catch fish has been a bit like playing Manchester City and expecting to keep a clean sheet!”

And, of course, liverpool's speciality in the 70s was passing it back to the keeper if they had o outball and he could pick it up. Modern players don't have that luxury.

And, of course, liverpool's speciality in the 70s was passing it back to the keeper if they had o outball and he could pick it up. Modern players don't have that luxury.

Yep pep moved that on to now we can pass it to our goalie and it’s like he can pick it up waste a bit of time and just pass it to one of our defenders..

Tommy Smith often split the opposing defence in two, but not with a pass.

Surely this deal depends on Laporte leaving? If so, who’s got the money to afford him besides PL teams? Can’t imagine he wants to stay in England playing for a second rate team, which is basically the other 19 teams in the league…

Surely this deal depends on Laporte leaving? If so, who’s got the money to afford him besides PL teams? Can’t imagine he wants to stay in England playing for a second rate team, which is basically the other 19 teams in the league…
It doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.