Juanma Lillo leaves to become Al-Sadd Head Coach

Most people complaining about Lillo earlier in the thread were saying we’d changed our style of play and it wasn’t working (we were 14th) and that it was boring to watch.

Pep is on record as saying he “didn’t like” the team, and in November went back to our old style of play. Which we did, to great success.

And you’re using that chain of events to say the people complaining in October had it all wrong?! Strange one.

It’s similar to the people gloating about Gundogan having a great 2nd half of the season as if it justifies his previous bog average 4 years. Lol
City 1 Chelsea 2. Now that's " back to our old style of play."

I'm so sorry because I dont speak english well but i'll try my best.

Juanma Lillo is considered a clown in Spain. A clown and a loser. Really 100%.

In fact, just can hear a old joke about him. His name is Juan Manuel "Juanma" Lillo. And people here do a wordplay with his name saying Juan Malillo, wich means "Juan Little Bad".

He just did some good succes 30 years ago in a little spanish team.

From there he falls in oblivion, 30 years or training 3rd class teams, just little villages teams, or even not geting a job.

Pep Guardiola was "in love" with him since 90's years. Because Juanma Lillo is a man who speak very "psychologist", very philosopher, and Lillo in those years sounded very different than spanish trainers like Camacho, Aragonés, Clemente... wich were educated in Franco regime, wich means just "con dos cojones ahí, joder!", wich means play football with your two balls and your big spanish dick!, football is for men, come on, and the football is testosterone and all is testosterone and be a fucked man and you will win and bla bla, all this shit.

It's just a change of generation, because Pep was a boy who could not understand Camacho, "be a man!! Be a fucked man with 2 balls and win those 11 mother fuckers!", he needs technical arguments and a modern mentality working and thinking, and Lillo represented that.

But objectively, Lillo's carrer was failures, failures and failures.

And he signed Lillo as his 2nd to help him because Lillo is his friend.

I hope it has been understood.

Last edited:
A lot of the game is psychological, especially at the top level, maybe he has a certain way of looking at things that Pep likes, maybe the players can benefit from that too, if Pep can.

I don't even mind if it was just an appointment to make Pep happier in his job, he's under intense pressure all the time. Don't forget he lost Domènec Torrent and Arteta as assistants. If Lillo being there helps him stay focused and calm, then great.

In fact, just can hear a old joke about him. His name is Juan Manuel "Juanma" Lillo. And people here do a wordplay with his name saying Juan Malillo, wich means "Juan Little Bad".

From there he falls in oblivion, 30 years or training 3rd class teams, just little villages teams, or even not geting a job.

Pep Guardiola was "in love" with him since 90's years. Because Juanma Lillo is a man who speak very "psychologist", very philosopher, and Lillo in those years sounded very different than spanish trainers like Camacho, Aragonés, Clemente... wich were educated in Franco regime, wich means just "con dos cojones ahí, joder!", wich means play football with your two balls and your big spanish dick!, football is for men, come on, and the football is testosterone and all is testosterone and be a fucked man and you will win and bla bla, all this shit.

It's just a change of generation, because Pep was a boy who could not understand Camacho, "be a man!! Be a fucked man with 2 balls and win those 11 mother fuckers!", he needs technical arguments and a modern mentality working and thinking, and Lillo represented that.

Your English sounds pretty good to me :)

if you listen to the why always us podcast sam (i know sam lee isn’t very popular on here but i really like him) has said that for a long time that Lillo’s role is primarily psychological. it seems to be working based on our success with him here. i have no problem with him at all.

I love watching him and pep having heated debates on the touch line when the camera pans to them. Whatever he does he is clearly doing it well

I think you are mixing things up a bit. Yes, Lillo’s career as a manager has been a disaster, but he is extremely respected among everyone who understands football because of his reflections, more on the academic side. In a way, you could compare him to Bielsa or even Rangnick in how they’re more known to influence other than for their own careers. To claim Pep got him a job to help him doesn’t seem fair. Lillo was assistant manager to Jorge Sampaoli in the Chilean national team and won two consecutive Copa América titles against Argentina half a decade ago. Pep himself is a bit of a philosophical manager, with an academic side, so having Lillo there if anything helps these last two seasons be more academic than the ones with Torrent and Arteta. Lillo basically invented the 4-2-3-1, for those who don’t know. You also forgot to mention that Pep’s final season as a player was under Lillo in Mexico. I’ve seen interviews of players who were in that team saying that Pep would often discuss and challenge him tactically openly in the dressing room and that those discussions were a marvel for other players to watch.
I’ve also been able to read the book below which was released in 2018 and talks about their styles and convictions by comparing them. It’s not a great book per se, but a very interesting read nonetheless. Unfortunately only available in Spanish. It was written long before they got to work together at City. I suspect Pep’s read it too…

E0193909-87E6-4629-A876-F0090E5113FB.jpeg

The spanish women i speak with say there is no such thing. Thats why they enjoy when the English men arrive on holiday.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.