Jude Bellingham

I remember all them years ago when Ronaldo did that wink to Rooney as he was sent off - England fans all frothing with outrage , so easily wound up. I thought to myself I wish we had a player with some fucking arrogance and ego about him - it might actually make the difference for us to win something. We’ve lacked a player with this attitude for decades, always been too nice.
This is probably the worst example to use to try to defend Bellingham’s behaviour and influence over the team.

Portugal perennially under performed at tournaments largely because they were completely unbalanced in an attempt to make Ronaldo the main man and his outsized influence on the team caused all sort of issues.

Only when his role and influence was significantly reduced, and the team was built to specifically play to the strengths of the other 10 players, rather than just glorify him, did they actually finally win something.

Which games have you seen him play well in, in 2024?
They can’t answer those questions. Easier to point to his couple of goals that massively paper over the cracks of his overall game.

It’s not like I think he’s shit, I’ve posted several times that he’s got all the ability in the world, just be nice to see it a bit more than 10 mins here and there.

Agree on Pickford but Southgate needs to find a link player quickly otherwise England will end up playing long balls. Perhaps Stones could do it but he has been poor recently. Southgate is the real problem.
For City Stones has Rodri to play alongside him. Would he be as effective in that position without him? I’m not so sure. He also has Foden , KDB and Haaland making runs in behind.

I thought TTA was supposed to be the new wonder box to box player?

It's really embarassing how many people on here did a 180 as soon as he signed for Real.
If that is the reason, it is embarrassing. But I was never a fan of his because of things I had heard about his behaviour at Dortmund (and the fact that I didn’t see him as the phenom others did), so was actually pleased he did not join us, and his exploits since have made me very happy we did not get him, as I think he would have been a very disruptive force within our squad.

Seems like you have asked yourself a question and answered it in the same post. Running his mouth about city was daft and probably made a few of us notice his arrogance and petulance a little more. I’m glad he didn’t sign for us. Not sure that ego would work with pep or the dressing room. Potentially a world class player but the hype is ahead of his talent at the moment. Be interesting to see how he copes with Mmmbop next season.
yup...theres more than a whiff of the Pogba about this boy....

Last edited:
Which games have you seen him play well in, in 2024?
I watched him first hand play brilliantly when at Dortmund against Rangers when he practically single handedly kept them in the tie.

He spoke very well in the press about my club. Not a hint of arrogance

Bellingham - Foden can work, we just don't know because Phil is stuck out on the left mostly and Bellingham is playing as a 10.

England have a box to box player with an eye for goal...Bellingham. That was basically his role at Dortmund for a lot of the time. It's likely his role in Madrid next season now Ancelotti has to fit all the forward players in with Mbappe there. Mbappe and Vini Jr both play a similar position coming in off the left, so one of them will move more central or they'll alternate, which means occupying Bellingham's position. So he'll probably be back in his more natural midfield position.

Put Phil as the 10 and Bellingham doing box to box. Tell Bellingham to pass to Phil now and again. That's it, it's not rocket science. It can work, they're different players that can blend well if they're used properly. Then it free's up a space for a more natural wide player on the left and gets rid of having to persist with the likes of Gallagher, Arnold, Mainoo etc..

We haven't even tried this obvious set up. Good players in their best positions and a bit of balance and width. Crazy concept eh?!?

England's issue is that deep lying playmaker. We don't have anyone currently who can thread the ball through the lines. When you watch the majority of the other teams in the Euro's they have someone who either drops deep alongside the defence, or finds a pocket to pick up the ball, turn and play it forwards. When it gets into someone in the attacking third the rest of the players move and there's a fluidity to their play.

If you pause the majority of England games (not that you need to as it's slow enough in real time) you see Rice dropping to pick up the ball and then there's Foden-Bellingham-Kane-Mainoo-Saka in a line trying to find space to receive the ball. But they shouldn't bother because Rice 9 times out of 10 isn't playing it. He's hesitant. He doesn't back himself to make it. He goes back to the defender and it goes out to the full back, out to the winger and back, then repeats the other side (where Phil often has to scamper over to be an option).

We either need Gordon as a left wing option because he'll run into space and take his man on to stretch the pitch (which should provide more space centrally and maybe help Rice thread the pass). Or we need to switch to a back 3 with wing backs. Sadly, Saka has to play left wing back in that system due to the squad options. If you had Saka and TAA as wing backs with Konza-Stones-Walker as the CBs you'd have natural width with players who are able to get the ball into the box. If they provide the width, there's space for the likes of Foden and Bellingham to find the pockets they want and support Kane. You could play Rice-Mainoo still if you wanted to be ultra cautious and cover your wing backs playing high up the pitch. Or you could have Rice as the pivot, Bellingham and Foden as box-to-box and someone like Watkins running in behind and stretching things. Numerous options in that system. But in my opinion it's the best way for us to operate with our current issues and the fact Switzerland play that way and we've struggled against sides with a back 3.

I remember all them years ago when Ronaldo did that wink to Rooney as he was sent off - England fans all frothing with outrage , so easily wound up. I thought to myself I wish we had a player with some fucking arrogance and ego about him - it might actually make the difference for us to win something. We’ve lacked a player with this attitude for decades, always been too nice.

There's a difference between being a bit arrogant and a full on knobhead and Bellingham is straying in to the latter.

He's doing things that undermine his teammates or make them seem beneath him, like shouting "who else?" After scoring, posting Meme's with the England and Madrid shirt, you've seen it. That implies he thinks he's bigger than the team.

You might get a few arse lickers in the squad that'll put up with it, but you'll also get some who think he's a right prick. He just needs to be humbled a bit.

Nobody minds confidence or even a touch of arrogance. People don't like pricks.

Either way he's gonna spit his dummy out next season when Mbappe takes all the spotlight at Real Madrid. Their fans are very fickle and Bellingham is too eager to bite back. Absolute powder keg just waiting to be lit.

If that is the reason, it is embarrassing. But I was never a fan of his because of things I had heard about his behaviour at Dortmund (and the fact that I didn’t see him as the phenom others did), so was actually pleased he did not join us, and his exploits since have made me very happy we did not get him, as I think he would have been a very disruptive force within our squad.
I’m not even sure it was just because of Madrid. I’d not seen enough of him up to that point to make a proper judgement but there’s no doubt he looked a standout player.
My feelings on him are based over the last 12 months where he’s been thrust into the limelight and I’ve not been impressed with everything I’ve seen.
Started like a house on fire for them but gradually fell away to the point his second half of the season on a personal level was distinctively average.
This euros has cemented that with far more poor minutes than good, but goals mean none of the other things matter to some.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.