Jude Bellingham

Bellingham - Foden can work, we just don't know because Phil is stuck out on the left mostly and Bellingham is playing as a 10.

England have a box to box player with an eye for goal...Bellingham. That was basically his role at Dortmund for a lot of the time. It's likely his role in Madrid next season now Ancelotti has to fit all the forward players in with Mbappe there. Mbappe and Vini Jr both play a similar position coming in off the left, so one of them will move more central or they'll alternate, which means occupying Bellingham's position. So he'll probably be back in his more natural midfield position.

Put Phil as the 10 and Bellingham doing box to box. Tell Bellingham to pass to Phil now and again. That's it, it's not rocket science. It can work, they're different players that can blend well if they're used properly. Then it free's up a space for a more natural wide player on the left and gets rid of having to persist with the likes of Gallagher, Arnold, Mainoo etc..

We haven't even tried this obvious set up. Good players in their best positions and a bit of balance and width. Crazy concept eh?!?
Who is that wide left player though? Either way yeah Foden is playing crap because he's in the wrong position. Ideally I think he'd play better replacing Saka who I don't rate that much to be honest.

We don't need a player who can beat people out wide, we're far better suited with players dropping inside, especially with Kane in there who's a finisher and not a target man.

All of this is a mentality thing, he could play Bellingham box-to-box but he doesn't pass like Rodri and he hasn't got the physicality of Rodri so it would be a slight risk defensively and Southgate hates that. He's more of a Gundogan but he needs mobile players around him.

Watch this video, we're a million miles from this now, (note Grealish involved in every goal.. :) ).

Ok. Work with me, yeh? The rule of football is to put the ball in the net. Up until the 94th minute yesterday nobody in the England team had done that. After the 94th minute, Bellingham put the ball in the net, thus saving us. Is that still beyond your understanding?
Did Kane also “save us” with the winner?

Last edited:
But as of right now, the pros are outweighing the cons, no? Is it not more simplistic to say take him out of the team because hypothetically we'll do better?
And the jibe about him stinking the place out would have more credence if literally every other England player hadn't stunk the place out; as I said, at the end of the game he'd contributed more than any other player (bar maybe Toney when you consider how impactful his introduction was).
This is the Bellingham thread. That’s why I’m discussing him here. Nobody has stood out so far with Englands best performer’s probably lucky to get a 5/10 so far.
I’m not even advocating taking him out. Dropping him deeper could solve so many issues that England have atm it blows my mind that the manager hasn’t even considered it.

I don't get this insistence that pundits should be ex players that have either never managed or failed miserably and ran back to the punditry lark.

Having Neville give advice on what to do is quite hilarious. The guy who failed hugely playing for England, failed as a domestic manager and was part of the most inept coaching team in that game against Iceland is hilarious..
The competent managers that actually have any insight would still be in management at present. Some of these ex-players turn pundits, became pundits because they couldn't hack it as a manager.

I still find it amazing Neville thought he can turn up at Spain for a job and not bother learning the language. The sheer arrogance.

The evidence of my eyes is that he has played poorly, and been a snide, petulant, prima donna for the entire Euros, was mediocre in the second half of the La Liga season, and played poorly and was petulant in the CL knockout rounds.

And he is a major reason why England needed the last minute equaliser in the first place, and why we have struggled throughout, and is very fortunate that shot came off.

His ability as a footballer right now is significantly less than what many—including yourself, apparently—are strangely claiming it is. You seem to be basing your entire view of him on his first 6 months at Real Madrid, whilst ignoring literally everything after that.

And my dislike of him is far from irrational. He has become Ronaldo-levels of dislikable (with the disruptive and derisive nature that comes with it). I am far from the only one that feels this way, and it certainly isn’t only City fans that hold this view, either.
Very well argued.

I’ve not watched him the last 7 months other than him single-handedly saving England and their team full of World beaters

Oh and when Madrid knocked City out of Europe and when he won the Champions League.

28 league games scoring 19 goals in his debut season in La Liga

Aye he’s had a fucking nightmare 2024 hahahaha
I know he’s an egotistical twat but he didn’t take the fucking throw in himself to start with, maybe he, like you, should realise it’s a team sport and that if he played as part of the team we wouldn’t need the last second fluke to take us to extra time in the fucking first place.

And before you retort regarding the ‘fluke’, that’s exactly what it was because even I managed to score one once!!

I’ve not watched him the last 7 months other than him single-handedly saving England and their team full of World beaters

Oh and when Madrid knocked City out of Europe and when he won the Champions League.

28 league games scoring 19 goals in his debut season in La Liga

Aye he’s had a fucking nightmare 2024 hahahaha
Invisible in both legs vs City in the Champions League but scored a glory penalty. He is just another Dele Ali. Nothing in his skill set that makes him particularly outstanding.

Last edited:
Ok. Work with me, yeh? The rule of football is to put the ball in the net. Up until the 94th minute yesterday nobody in the England team had done that. After the 94th minute, Bellingham put the ball in the net, thus saving us. Is that still beyond your understanding?

He also was a major part of the reason why nobody had put the ball in the net during the previous 94 minutes.

Not all down to him, no, but he seems to me a player with great moments, yet not a great player.

Maybe that's enough? Maybe. But there are smaller nations out there putting in better team performances than us, because they haven't got the big names that feel like they have to be the centre of everything.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.