Jude Bellingham

I don't like this guys arrogance but people questioning him and his achievements at 21 is very questionable in the extreme.

I don't like this guys arrogance but people questioning him and his achievements at 21 is very questionable in the extreme.
I think regarding his achievements people are (well I am) more questioning whether he warranted them (the voted for awards) and how big/influential a role he played (in a football sense) in the team won ones.

There's no doubting that the lad has certain footballing talents and attributes, but it just feels like a global marketing exercise that he's been swept up in, everybody vote now and the "Britain's got Talent"-winner gets the Christmas number 1! Feels like he's being wrung out as quickly as possible for all the money anybody (and their dogs) can make off him and unfortunately either the kid's happy with this or he can't see it for what it is. Whichever, it appears that he now thinks he's fucking Elvis when he's actually the tall one out of Liberty-X.

I think regarding his achievements people are (well I am) more questioning whether he warranted them (the voted for awards) and how big/influential a role he played (in a football sense) in the team won ones.

There's no doubting that the lad has certain footballing talents and attributes, but it just feels like a global marketing exercise that he's been swept up in, everybody vote now and the "Britain's got Talent"-winner gets the Christmas number 1! Feels like he's being wrung out as quickly as possible for all the money anybody (and their dogs) can make off him and unfortunately either the kid's happy with this or he can't see it for what it is. Whichever, it appears that he now thinks he's fucking Elvis when he's actually the tall one out of Liberty-X.
I agree but I look beyond the awards and commercial bullsh1t.

The fact remains he went as a teenager to Germany and was excellent, he then backed his talent and went to Madrid, and they are a very difficult club to play for, enormous pressures etc.

And again he has had superb success, his early form was superb.

His attitude and arrogance leave a bad taste but he has earned the right, his only issue is he has set high standards and they have to be maintained and improved upon.

His form dipped considerably towards the end of the season but at 21 than is probably to be expected.

He clearly is a talent.

My objection to the attention he receives goes beyond him and into the obsession with individuals beyond teamplay. When I listen to English football commentary, I hear constant analysis of individual players, oft expressed as legends of the game. I hear matches between clubs debased to headlines such as manager (insert name) Vs manager, or player Vs player.
Bellingham is a fine prospect who has achieved a lot in a short space of time. As often happens, the hype goes beyond the ability and it is abundantly clear that he has a lot to learn: bar moments of excellence, he has been very disappointing and continually attempts to do too much despite others in better positions to receive the ball from him. He has tremendous athletic ability which can promote young players well beyond their technical ability. I suspect he will not go on to be a great without a combination of a willingness to listen and the rigorous and insightful coaching he needs.

I agree but I look beyond the awards and commercial bullsh1t.

The fact remains he went as a teenager to Germany and was excellent, he then backed his talent and went to Madrid, and they are a very difficult club to play for, enormous pressures etc.

And again he has had superb success, his early form was superb.

His attitude and arrogance leave a bad taste but he has earned the right, his only issue is he has set high standards and they have to be maintained and improved upon.

His form dipped considerably towards the end of the season but at 21 than is probably to be expected.

It's just whether his form dipped because of a long season, fatigue etc, or because he's been found out a bit and teams have worked out how to cope with him better.

Either way, like you said, he needs to find ways to improve his game - especially now that Mbappe is at Madrid and will be the new flavour of the month. Quite possible Bellingham has to influence games from the bench for them next season if he doesn't have the perfect attitude.

He clearly is a talent.

My objection to the attention he receives goes beyond him and into the obsession with individuals beyond teamplay. When I listen to English football commentary, I hear constant analysis of individual players, oft expressed as legends of the game. I hear matches between clubs debased to headlines such as manager (insert name) Vs manager, or player Vs player.
Bellingham is a fine prospect who has achieved a lot in a short space of time. As often happens, the hype goes beyond the ability and it is abundantly clear that he has a lot to learn: bar moments of excellence, he has been very disappointing and continually attempts to do too much despite others in better positions to receive the ball from him. He has tremendous athletic ability which can promote young players well beyond their technical ability. I suspect he will not go on to be a great without a combination of a willingness to listen and the rigorous and insightful coaching he needs.
Always been the case and even more so .now

Keegan, Robson, Beckham, Gerrard there have always been the "favorites" domestic football is no different, just look at Rodri, head and shoulders the best player in world football at this time but you don't here or see him but that's his wish and desire, he talks of the pitch, the great players do just that.

Last edited:
It's just whether his form dipped because of a long season, fatigue etc, or because he's been found out a bit and teams have worked out how to cope with him better.

Either way, like you said, he needs to find ways to improve his game - especially now that Mbappe is at Madrid and will be the new flavour of the month. Quite possible Bellingham has to influence games from the bench for them next season if he doesn't have the perfect attitude.
Far. far too early to say that.

I think he's been found out. When he first started playing for Madrid he was mainly used as a striker/false 9 and teams weren't expecting it. He got decent stats (not great stats for a striker role btw) but when teams knew where he was going to play they could mark him properly and stats dropped off a cliff. I think he might struggle starting a game next season as Mbappe is going to be occupying his role which means Bellingham stats will be a hell of a lot worse looking

Far. far too early to say that.
Not really.

He's been playing more or less as their number 9. Now they've signed Mbappe. Something has to give.

Guessing they may just move him back to a more standard midfield role for starters, but he's no Kroos and he's no Modric. As a result he'll probably have less goals to help cover any other performance deficiencies, and you know how things go when Madrid get a few bad results...

I think he's good enough to bounce back, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a backwards step for him next season.

He clearly is a talent.

There's an article on him today on the home page of the BBC that is frankly ludicrous. It's not sports journalism and it's not even feature writing, it reads like a paid for promotional piece. If it carries on, he'll go the way of Beckham moving beyond football to just being a highly successful but utterly vacuous celebrity seemingly fueled only by avarice and narcissism. Alternatively he could try concentrating on becoming a more complete footballer to justify the hype, but sadly I'm not holding my breath on that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.