Just Stop Oil protests

I expect history will judge these people far more kindly than they will the likes of HHJ Hehir.
He's probably had a t-shirt printed saying "I just stopped Just Stop Oil".

I've just read the sentencing remarks, which you should read yourself.

Hallam was a significant repeat offender, having been convicted of around a dozen previous offences. He was in breach of an injunction and on bail.

According to HHC Hehir, they planned significant disruption, far more than they achieved, as the police had some warning. They wanted to achieve complete gridlock in London but, even having failed to do that, caused significant inconvenience and even harm to members of the public. They also engaged in disruptive behaviour during the trial itself.

There are many issues with the criminal justice system, as I'm sure you know, but I think they got what they deserved in this case.

Last edited:

Hallam was a significant repeat offender, having been convicted of around a dozen previous offences. He was in breach of an injunction and on bail.

According to HHC Hehir, they planned significant disruption, far more than they achieved, as the police had some warning. They wanted to achieve complete gridlock in London but, even having failed to do that, caused significant inconvenience and even harm to members of the public. They also be engaged in disruptive behaviour during the trial itself.

There are many issues with the criminal justice system, as I'm sure you know, but I think they got what they deserved in this case.
Excellent post. So there we have it. Five years fully deserved.

According to HHC Hehir, they planned significant disruption, far more than they achieved, as the police had some warning. They wanted to achieve complete gridlock in London but, even having failed to do that, caused significant inconvenience and even harm to members of the public. They also engaged in disruptive behaviour during the trial itself.

"Five years for peacefully protesting!?! Outrageous! The system is broken!"

No, five years for a multitude of repeat offences for various breaches of the law, of which he received leniency from the courts, yet repeatedly flounted and this was the final straw. Nice sleuthing ;)

I think paragraph 42 provides a neat summary of their behaviour, both in this case and more generally.

“You have taken it upon yourselves to decide that your fellow citizens must suffer disruption and harm, and how much disruption and harm they must suffer, simply so that you may parade your views”.

I think paragraph 42 provides a neat summary of their behaviour, both in this case and more generally.

“You have taken it upon yourselves to decide that your fellow citizens must suffer disruption and harm, and how much disruption and harm they must suffer, simply so that you may parade your views”.
Reading the Judges' findings explains it quite clearly; they thought they were above the law, they thought they could dictate a policy to other members of the public on the sole premise that they believed they were "righteous" in their actions on their own opinion, not sanctioned by law or decree, authority or by an elected mandate.

Anyone now thinking that they were just "arrested for protesting" needs to give their head a wobble. They were narcissists who thought that statutory law did not apply to them and that they and they alone could dictate policy on climate change through their own actions that they would force others to follow, without any authority to do so, fed by a personal belief of what they thought was acceptable.

Last edited:

Sounds fair enough then. Fuck em.

"Bullying" is something that happens in schools not prisons. You know bullied senseless can only mean one thing, and it's just a very bizarre response.
There’s some fucking bizarre comments regarding this development on here to say the least.

Having just seen @Prestwich_Blue comments I can now see why they have been jailed but I’d still argue the length of the sentences are a bit extreme to say the least.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.