Just Stop Oil protests

The jails are so overcrowded that we are releasing prisoners early, replacing them with climate change protestors. Right. Captain Sensible rules.

Good on the judge. Fed up of these wankers causing disruption to ordinary people trying to get on with their livelihoods. Overarchingly, they're being made an example of and short-mid term this should act as a deterrent.

I'm all for transitioning to green but it can't happen without the proper infrastructure, which is going to take a long time. In the meantime, these idiots need to realise their actions are achieving precisely nothing.

What would you suggest?
We should put together a proper community sentence system and possibly drug rehab instead of the ramshackle, almost voluntary, nonsense we have now. It would be an additional cost to start with but eventually we could reduce the prison population by 30,000, a long term big cost saving.
These oil protesters, for example, need reminding that they cannot freely disrupt other people’s lives, but prison is ridiculous. 500 hours serious community work, supervised, no get outs, would be much more sensible.

We should put together a proper community sentence system and possibly drug rehab instead of the ramshackle, almost voluntary, nonsense we have now. It would be an additional cost to start with but eventually we could reduce the prison population by 30,000, a long term big cost saving.
These oil protesters, for example, need reminding that they cannot freely disrupt other people’s lives, but prison is ridiculous. 500 hours serious community work, supervised, no get outs, would be much more sensible.
I guess you have read the judge’s sentencing report? The two main ringleaders believed the law didn’t apply to them on repeated occasions. Community work would not have been a deterrent. A stiff custodial sentence hopefully will be.

With prison places down to the low hundreds it is ridiculous to give then 4/5 yrs , 1 yr suspended would have been better with a solid chunk of community service . In the not to distant future we will all be saying that their message was correct but not the way they protested when it came to the glueing themselves to the road

I guess you have read the judge’s sentencing report? The two main ringleaders believed the law didn’t apply to them on repeated occasions. Community work would not have been a deterrent. A stiff custodial sentence hopefully will be.
It is more expensive to send a man to jail than to send him to Eton. And what does he do when he gets there? Sits about doing fuck all. Prison should be reserved for when detention is necessary to protect society.
40 hours a week real hard work so much better.
In this case it is unlikely that community work would even have been available. It works well in some other countries, why not here?

It is more expensive to send a man to jail than to send him to Eton. And what does he do when he gets there? Sits about doing fuck all. Prison should be reserved for when detention is necessary to protect society.
40 hours a week real hard work so much better.
In this case it is unlikely that community work would even have been available. It works well in some other countries, why not here?
I think the conclusion the judge came to with this pair is that detention was required to protect society.

I think the conclusion the judge came to with this pair is that detention was required to protect society.
That’s just what judges say to justify a custodial sentence; it doesn’t mean it’s correct.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.