Just Stop Oil protests

I guess you have read the judge’s sentencing report? The two main ringleaders believed the law didn’t apply to them on repeated occasions. Community work would not have been a deterrent. A stiff custodial sentence hopefully will be.
Indeed, or to keep the prison population down we could go back to the old ways of a set of stocks in the town centre where law abiding citizens can throw things at them for a couple of weeks or so.

That’s just what judges say to justify a custodial sentence; it doesn’t mean it’s correct.
In the eyes of the law it is.
I agree with the detention, you and others don’t. I just think the judge decided unless a custodial sentence was issued, then they would just continue to disrupt society. Based on their previous behaviour it’s hard to disagree with him.

Indeed, or to keep the prison population down we could go back to the old ways of a set of stocks in the town centre where law abiding citizens can throw things at them for a couple of weeks or so.

Well we could then all throw orange paint at them... real "peacefully" like

Reactions: PPT
With prison places down to the low hundreds it is ridiculous to give then 4/5 yrs , 1 yr suspended would have been better with a solid chunk of community service . In the not to distant future we will all be saying that their message was correct but not the way they protested when it came to the glueing themselves to the road
They were already given a suspended sentence; 2 years, suspended for 18 months. That was just this year!

It is more expensive to send a man to jail than to send him to Eton. And what does he do when he gets there? Sits about doing fuck all. Prison should be reserved for when detention is necessary to protect society.
40 hours a week real hard work so much better.
In this case it is unlikely that community work would even have been available. It works well in some other countries, why not here?
Like he's going to do 40 hours real hard work, he doesn't give a flying fuck and what do you do then stand him on the naughty step or reflection corner. Trouble is the message is bollocks too Oil and Coal do nothing wrong the problem ls with the amount being used and unless you want to halve the world population it going to continue to be used it feeds the World.

Like he's going to do 40 hours real hard work, he doesn't give a flying fuck and what do you do then stand him on the naughty step or reflection corner. Trouble is the message is bollocks too Oil and Coal do nothing wrong the problem ls with the amount being used and unless you want to halve the world population it going to continue to be used it feeds the World.
Look, there is a stack of research on how these programs work in Belgium, Spain and elsewhere. Instead of being needlessly negative, go and read it.

In the eyes of the law it is.
I agree with the detention, you and others don’t. I just think the judge decided unless a custodial sentence was issued, then they would just continue to disrupt society. Based on their previous behaviour it’s hard to disagree with him.
Well, was there a community prog available? If not, the judges has no alternative but to impose a prison sentence and say it’s necessary. That’s the whole point of having such a prog, the judge is not hamstrung. There are about 30,000 prisoners currently who need not be there. What a waste of money.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.