Kalvin Phillips | Joins City on a 6-year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 46117

You can cherry-pick stats to fuel almost any argument you want. Here's a comparison of Rodri and Phillips from 20/21 where Phillips comes out on top in most defensive stats. He also put in 77 crosses to Rod's 14, was dispossessed fewer times, and made five times as many big chances (5 to 1 according to the official Prem site).

Does this mean Phillips is better? Absolutely not. Do random pie chart comparisons of an injury-hit season mean he's crap? Absolutely not. They're different players at different clubs with totally different situations and styles.

I don't know why people are getting so worked up about this particular transfer possibility. And before Gus (who I also reluctantly put on ignore due to his attitude) starts coming back with "But this is a forum! We're allowed to debate!" - I completely agree.

It's perfectly fine to express an opinion, to suggest alternatives you think would be better, to doubt the transfer, and so on. What I, and I think a few others, have a problem with is the sneering, snide, bad faith attitude with which so many of those comments seem to be delivered. Throwing around words like "cultists" for people who have a different opinion to you or acting high and mighty because you "look at stats", as if others don't, or as if our own club's scouting department, who frankly have barely put a foot wrong since Pep arrived, are somehow a bunch of charlatans for even considering Phillips in the first place. The way some people comment in this thread, it almost sounds like they're hoping the lad does sign and then turns out to be crap, just so they can come back here and rub it in everyone's faces. It's a weird way to support the club, IMO.

It's just a shame. I'm not looking to start another argument here, as that's not what I visit the forum for. I enjoy debate and discussion and other ideas and mostly just read what others have to say and think about their ideas. But all of that becomes far less enjoyable when there's nastiness and attitudes going around.
Post of the year.

Like everyone in here I have views on players, on how we play, how players perform, who we should buy and who we should let go.

But I am a fan, I am not an expert (the club hires experts in all aspects of football, Pep, the data guys, the scouts, the coaches) - these experts have made our club the best in the world as such I trust them. Its not cultish devotion they make mistakes (look at Mendy) but based on what they have done so far how can you not trust them. If the club want this lad fine, sign him up that's good enough for me.

In City we trust.

Er I'm not sure the data analysts could have forseen that one. Maybe we need to employ someone with a crystal ball?
But we do background checks on potential signings, I assume the scouts etc. But even before we found out he was an alleged rapist his performances were hardly good enough.

Like everyone in here I have views on players, on how we play, how players perform, who we should buy and who we should let go.

But I am a fan, I am not an expert (the club hires experts in all aspects of football, Pep, the data guys, the scouts, the coaches) - these experts have made our club the best in the world as such I trust them. Its not cultish devotion they make mistakes (look at Mendy) but based on what they have done so far how can you not trust them. If the club want this lad fine, sign him up that's good enough for me.

In City we trust.
Yep, very true, but it would make for one hell of a dull forum if everyone posted ‘in the club we trust’ on every thread. I’m interested to hear what fellow blues think otherwise I wouldn’t even bother coming on here.

View attachment 46117

You can cherry-pick stats to fuel almost any argument you want. Here's a comparison of Rodri and Phillips from 20/21 where Phillips comes out on top in most defensive stats. He also put in 77 crosses to Rod's 14, was dispossessed fewer times, and made five times as many big chances (5 to 1 according to the official Prem site).

Does this mean Phillips is better? Absolutely not. Do random pie chart comparisons of an injury-hit season mean he's crap? Absolutely not. They're different players at different clubs with totally different situations and styles.

I don't know why people are getting so worked up about this particular transfer possibility. And before Gus (who I also reluctantly put on ignore due to his attitude) starts coming back with "But this is a forum! We're allowed to debate!" - I completely agree.

It's perfectly fine to express an opinion, to suggest alternatives you think would be better, to doubt the transfer, and so on. What I, and I think a few others, have a problem with is the sneering, snide, bad faith attitude with which so many of those comments seem to be delivered. Throwing around words like "cultists" for people who have a different opinion to you or acting high and mighty because you "look at stats", as if others don't, or as if our own club's scouting department, who frankly have barely put a foot wrong since Pep arrived, are somehow a bunch of charlatans for even considering Phillips in the first place. The way some people comment in this thread, it almost sounds like they're hoping the lad does sign and then turns out to be crap, just so they can come back here and rub it in everyone's faces. It's a weird way to support the club, IMO.

It's just a shame. I'm not looking to start another argument here, as that's not what I visit the forum for. I enjoy debate and discussion and other ideas and mostly just read what others have to say and think about their ideas. But all of that becomes far less enjoyable when there's nastiness and attitudes going around.
Rag

For example the sources I have used for Phillips are , Graham Bailey who is a football correspondent with 80k followers, Tom Young- Man City editor, Sam Lee- Man City correspondent from the Athletic. I would only use trusted sources.
I wouldn’t trust any of those people to mind my pint never mind anything to do with City

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.