Kalvin Phillips | Joins City on a 6-year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who knows? But I have to say he looks pretty average. I really don’t see it. He looks worse than Milner who again was always average at best. We have moved on since these klunks. Doubt City are remotely interested. We have better in the EDS.

James Milner has been a solid squad player for both City and Liverpool for the last 12 years. Every squad competing for trophies needs players who wouldn’t necessarily ever be an automatic pick for the starting 11 in a big game but who could slot in and not let you down in those games if called upon and who can still start 20+ games a season in all competitions.

In the Guardiola City era see Zinchenko, Ake, Jesus for reference. You don’t win the league without a few of these kind of players in the squad.

Key thing is Rodri has progressed to the stage where he’s now the best defensive midfielder in the premier league. Hes first choice DM for us without any doubt. We are buying cover for him, not buying somebody else at his level.

James Milner has been a solid squad player for both City and Liverpool for the last 12 years. Every squad competing for trophies needs players who wouldn’t necessarily ever be an automatic pick for the starting 11 in a big game but who could slot in and not let you down in those games if called upon and who can still start 20+ games a season in all competitions.

In the Guardiola City era see Zinchenko, Ake, Jesus for reference. You don’t win the league without a few of these kind of players in the squad.

Key thing is Rodri has progressed to the stage where he’s now the best defensive midfielder in the premier league. Hes first choice DM for us without any doubt. We are buying cover for him, not buying somebody else at his level.
Stop talking sense :-)

I don't get the mass confusion around Phillips. He's there as a back-up to Rodri. The likelihood is we play 4-3-3 again with Rodri sitting. Phillips gives an option to play 2 sitters and/or the ability to bring high energy/break up play in games we are winning off the bench.

For a player with the role of above City are not going to go and buy a world beater. We talk about replacing fernandinho but in reality we aren't. Rodri replaced fernan as the starting dm. We are replacing fernan of the last two years who has played a bit part role and looked leggy at rimes this season.

City will only go for Phillips if the price is role, again because he's not a starting dm or supposed to be the best in class. He's a good squad player and no doubt fits the attitude and application mould that pep would want. I can't see City wanting to spend over 45m for him. I wouldnt be surprised if Phillips doesn't come off that we don't buy a dm cover like last year when we didn't get a striker and go into this season with gundo as potential cover.

If this deal is too complicated then I'd be okay with getting just Cucurella and letting Zinchenko play in midfield next to Berni or Gundogan in a pair with Rodri resting.

I prefer keeping Zinchenko at all costs and giving him more game time in midfield as well as back up leftback is perfectly fine to me.

I don't get the mass confusion around Phillips. He's there as a back-up to Rodri. The likelihood is we play 4-3-3 again with Rodri sitting. Phillips gives an option to play 2 sitters and/or the ability to bring high energy/break up play in games we are winning off the bench.

For a player with the role of above City are not going to go and buy a world beater. We talk about replacing fernandinho but in reality we aren't. Rodri replaced fernan as the starting dm. We are replacing fernan of the last two years who has played a bit part role and looked leggy at rimes this season.

City will only go for Phillips if the price is role, again because he's not a starting dm or supposed to be the best in class. He's a good squad player and no doubt fits the attitude and application mould that pep would want. I can't see City wanting to spend over 45m for him. I wouldnt be surprised if Phillips doesn't come off that we don't buy a dm cover like last year when we didn't get a striker and go into this season with gundo as potential cover.
In City backup doesn't exist. Why are people talking about backup when we have the thinnest squad in the league? We need to have a HUGE QUALITY midfielder not fuckin back-up. We need something that would be a competition for all the midfielders, no backup. Is Real, Liverpool, or the other top clubs buying backups? I don't think so. "RODRI'S BACK UP" is the most deluded sentence about the potential midfielder transfer.

OK, it wouldn't be your and my problem if Rodri gets injured, but a BIG PROBLEM for the club and I think everyone will be happy with Gundogan as a 6 and zero defensive awareness in midfield :) Amazing. Buying DM is a priority. If Rodri gets injured we have ZERO OPTIONS, coz Gundogan is not an option.

We have had a year to prepare for Fernandinho's leaving.

Last edited:
If this deal is too complicated then I'd be okay with getting just Cucurella and letting Zinchenko play in midfield next to Berni or Gundogan in a pair with Rodri resting.

I prefer keeping Zinchenko at all costs and giving him more game time in midfield as well as back up leftback is perfectly fine to me.
Maybe for you it's perfectly fine, but not for the rest, because we need physicality and a hardworking player in midfield. We've not strengthened midfield for 3 years and it's time to buy a central midfielder. We are absolutely short in that department, probably the shortest of all the top6 teams.

Maybe for you it's perfectly fine, but not for the rest, because we need physicality and a hardworking player in midfield. We've not strengthened midfield for 3 years and it's time to buy a central midfielder. We are absolutely short in that department, probably the shortest of all the top6 teams.
Exactly, so let's go and buy one thats suitable. Hopefully they move on from phillips if the price and competition is too much and at the moment we have time to do that.

Exactly, so let's go and buy one thats suitable. Hopefully they move on from phillips if the price and competition is too much and at the moment we have time to do that.
Let's play Gundogan or Zinchenko as a 6 against Spurs, Chelsea, or Liverpool if Rodri could get injured. Great solution ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.