Kalvin Phillips | Joins City on a 6-year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don’t need to put anything together for me, you do it because you like it. Rubbing people the wrong way isn’t an issue. You have rubbed me the wrong way many times and it hasn’t been exclusive to me. It happens, just weird that some can’t handle disagreements.
You asked for the evidence, I didn't put it forward, you asked for it....
I wont bother if you don't want me to, just say that next time.

That is a weird comment to make considering one of our most consistent players came from France. I suppose we can’t really say whether Mbappe is a good player.
Funny thing about Kamara is that he played well AGAINST US.
How fucking English-centric to think that you can’t decide how good a player is until they play in the Premier League?
Much weirder when you consider that the best Phillips has looked is with his national team
There has been a ton of players who have joined from Ligue 1 who have turned shite, up their with the eredivisie for failed transfers to the premier league.

I would judge someone like Mbappe on his performances in the CL and international competitions. Ligue 1 is a joke, please don't try and make it out like its any different.

I remember Ben Watson scored a winner against us in an FA Cup final, maybe we should have bought him back in 2013 rather than Fernandinho.

Anyway, back to Phillips, if he joins will be a monster and I am sure ill be in his player thread fighting for 6mths like we had to with Cancelo, Rodri and many more. Then he will prove to be a great signing and hopefully play his part towards future trophies.

Anyway, back to Phillips, if he joins will be a monster and I am sure ill be in his player thread fighting for 6mths like we had to with Cancelo, Rodri and many more. Then he will prove to be a great signing and hopefully play his part towards future trophies.
Hopefully it’s another player with a much higher ceiling and younger who will be said “monster”

That is a weird comment to make considering one of our most consistent players came from France. I suppose we can’t really say whether Mbappe is a good player.
Funny thing about Kamara is that he played well AGAINST US.
How fucking English-centric to think that you can’t decide how good a player is until they play in the Premier League?
Much weirder when you consider that the best Phillips has looked is with his national team
There was a post few pages back preferring players from all over the world (several leagues) over Phillips. I highly doubt anyone follows the player' said teams week in week out (over sevel leagues).

I think he’s looking back at Fernandinho’s career with hindsight.

A lot of City fans were underwhelmed when he joined for £30m at the age of 28.

He turned into a bargain. Maybe Phillips will too.
I was a huge fan of Fernandinho before he joined City .. he was a star in his team and they did well in UCL for afew years!

Kalvin ticks a couple boxes:

- hes a Bielsa player .. he knows positional play which is pep's school of football .. so he will hit the ground running and wont need a year like Grealish did .. infact all 4 signings this summer play positional football (juego de posicion) Halland +Alvarez+Cucurella

Alvarez is coached by one of Bielsa students: Gallardo

Cucurella is la massia graduate (barca academy)

Halland played for Salzburg and Dortmund which follow the same philosophy

so I think Pep's summer strategy is players who will hit the ground running and dont need to learn the basics

- Kalvin is a typical destroyer .. I think this season shows that Pep is becoming more pragmatic in his game management .. so I expect Kalvin to come in from the bench when the team is winning against tough rivals .. he was much needed in a game like Real Madrid ...

There was a post few pages back preferring players from all over the world (several leagues) over Phillips. I highly doubt anyone follows the player' said teams week in week out (over sevel leagues).
You can’t assume that.

As our success develops, we have to be thankful that we are gaining supporters around the world who watch every single moment of every single league and know perfectly how each player would assimilate in our side.

If I were CFG, I would disband our scouting networks as the real experts are on here.

He does know an awful lot about his job, and the more I read and watch, he really does indeed sort of fit the mould of Fern. Great reader, ball winner, tremendous engine, suprisingly good vision and passing range. I just dunno. Fern was quite nippy in his prime, and had a neat touch. He also really helped with a tidy short passing game, lots of near one touch stuff. I really don't quite see that in Philips. I don't really know his character that well either. For me, there's something a bit meh about him, 26, at this level. Fern had proven himself extensively in the CL. I get this feeling we might find ourselves saying, good, but not great... mostly because Tika-Taka. But if he is there to really do the destructive job above all else, there are very few better.

If Pep and the City recruitment team think he's good enough then that'll do for me. They very rarely get it wrong and given we already have Rodri, whoever does come in has got time to adapt and improve.

He does know an awful lot about his job, and the more I read and watch, he really does indeed sort of fit the mould of Fern. Great reader, ball winner, tremendous engine, suprisingly good vision and passing range. I just dunno. Fern was quite nippy in his prime, and had a neat touch. He also really helped with a tidy short passing game, lots of near one touch stuff. I really don't quite see that in Philips. I don't really know his character that well either. For me, there's something a bit meh about him, 26, at this level. Fern had proven himself extensively in the CL. I get this feeling we might find ourselves saying, good, but not great... mostly because Tika-Taka. But if he is there to really do the destructive job above all else, there are very few better.
think most with this similar take might be surprised by the passing range he does have in his locker.

long-ball-efficiency1.jpeg

focus-on-leeds.jpg

Source: Player Analysis: Kalvin Phillips – Breaking The Lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.