Kalvin Phillips | On loan at West Ham

If i was him, after the season he has just had, i would be working all over the summer to be the fittest ive ever been.
Reporting back to pre season training in great shape would show Pep he means business.
100%

Let's see if he walks the walk.

Although I'm still hoping he is a Rice px.

Carnt we loan him to Sheffield utd and bring Tommy Doyle back ,a player who would look to impress in the limited role he would get

Carnt we loan him to Sheffield utd and bring Tommy Doyle back ,a player who would look to impress in the limited role he would get

All jokes aside,Doyle would have been far more useful last season.

With a couple of seasons extra experience,he will be a very decent midfielder.

Liked his quote "i spoke to Jack and Nathan and they said their first year under Pep was hardest of their career, but after that its easy, ive not quite got up to speed on Peps play but i will" Exactly why id be happy him and Rodri DM and Rice as #8

The fact is that, right now Rodri is at unreachable level for Kalvin. That's why Pep rotated Rodri with Gundo or Bernardo when he needed to rest him.

So Kalvin starts his career from the scratch, which means that he will have to go through phases of professional football career - step-by-step again and convince Pep, that he deserves to play in this City team.

No one cares about his Leeds period or caps in England team, that's in the past.

But there are some positives: Pep's new 4 CB system needs one player who can play both in Defensive Midfield and Centre Back zones.. So this kind of player doesn't need to be as good as Rodri for example and have pace and ball-controlling skills and etc. and doesn't need to be as good as Ruben, normal defender also counts.

Yes, there is John Stones as a regular starter, but there are plenty of games and Kalvin will have a lot of chance to prove himself and contribute there.

That's maximum what we can get of him during the next season I think -> player who contributes from that "Stones" position at the level of John and helps Rodri in midfield as well as Ruben in defense.

After that when he has played a lot of games with City and has experience and practice with the boys and knows system, we can talk about - rotating him with Rodri, i.e one year from now.

As for Rodri - I guess Pep will use Kovacic or Rico, considering both Gundo and Bernardo are gone.

That's why I still think that Rice option is good both for City and Kalvin.
City gets player who rotates both with John and Rodri (Kalvin can be rotated with John only (if we are realistic..)
Kalvin doesn't have to go through above mentioned "cycle of trust" and get a regular starter role at West Ham on that DM position.

But if Kalvin stays, I think there is potential that in 1 year - we will get a player, we signed 1 year ago :D

I just have this wierd image of him being Stones cover in the hybrid role. The main thing he would lack is the height for the longer balls but he has every other attribute to do it.

Could be lack of sleep creating these images tbf

I hope he stays.

I like his enthusiasm and his attitude to fight for his place and hopefully next season he'll show everyone why we bought him.

With such a short turnaround until the start of next season it wouldn't surprise me to see Phillips and Kovacic starting at the beginning, so it's up to him to take his chance.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.