Kalvin Phillips

He’s obviously not fat for the average person, but here’s the Liverpool players getting their measurements done on the first day of preseason.

And bear in mind Phillips is in last chance saloon, and his manager commented on his weight last year AND he was just in the press this week talking among how he felt that was unfair.

I don’t know when that photo of Philips was taken, but hard to imagine him coming back in similar shape.

This isn't an excuse or anything, given the bottom line is that his fitness is his responsibility, but he's from an entire family of... err... plus sized women. I wonder if he's genetically predisposed to gaining weight quickly, similar to how Aguero was.

Not an issue if he can lose it just as quickly but he definitely doesn't seem to be as lucky as someone like Grealish, who can spend the summer consuming everything behind every bar he goes in and still comes back looking like he's never even glanced at a packet of Wotsits in his life.

He’s obviously not fat for the average person, but here’s the Liverpool players getting their measurements done on the first day of preseason.

And bear in mind Phillips is in last chance saloon, and his manager commented on his weight last year AND he was just in the press this week talking among how he felt that was unfair.

I don’t know when that photo of Philips was taken, but hard to imagine him coming back in similar shape.

At the same time, some players are just like that. KDB literally has a dad bod. It's reassuring lol. Probably is just the angle too. Remember all those photos of aguero apparently being fat? Days later he was there ripped as fuck in another photo.

At the same time, some players are just like that. KDB literally has a dad bod. It's reassuring lol. Probably is just the angle too. Remember all those photos of aguero apparently being fat? Days later he was there ripped as fuck in another photo.

I just haven't seen anything from Phillips at all, on or off the pitch, to suggest he's going to turn his City career around.

This logic is incredibly flawed, and anyone who thinks about it for more than 10 Seconds knows this.

Yes, some players have kicked on massively in their second season under Pep, but they played 20x more than Phillips in their first season, and what about the players who didn't kick on? Bravo, Angelino, Phillippe Sandler, Ferran Torres, Mangala, Eric Garcia?

And name a player who kicked on in their second season and I'll name you 5 games where they showed their level in year one.

The problem with Phillips is that he's not going into his second season having played 35 games getting used to his teammates and a year training with Pep to absorb his ideas with some performances under his belt showing he's got the right level inside him.

He's resitting his first year.

There is a little bit more context to that. People like Jack and Bernardo didn't have surgery in their first season and they weren't competing with arguably the best player in the world in their position.

Again, I'm not really trying to defend him. I didn't think he was good enough when we signed him and took a bit of flack of saying so. He's hardly done anything to prove me wrong up until now and I'd much rather have someone else as backup but people have gone so over the top on here that I feel like someone needs to bring a bit of balance.

He's got plenty of international experience for by far the best England side of my lifetime and he's got a seal of approval from one of the most respected coaches in world football so he's definitely got something about him. Not really convinced we'll get to see his best qualities but it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.

I just haven't seen anything from Phillips at all, on or off the pitch, to suggest he's going to turn his City career around.

That's fair enough. Not so sure which way itll go either, but I doubt its a fitness thing personally. It'll be down to his talent. I personally struggle to think that a player who played at the level he did for England/Leeds under Bielsa etc is simply not good enough to be a Rodri backup. It's really confusing, but then again football can be confusing at times!

This logic is incredibly flawed, and anyone who thinks about it for more than 10 Seconds knows this.

Yes, some players have kicked on massively in their second season under Pep, but they played 20x more than Phillips in their first season, and what about the players who didn't kick on? Bravo, Angelino, Phillippe Sandler, Ferran Torres, Mangala, Eric Garcia?

And name a player who kicked on in their second season and I'll name you 5 games where they showed their level in year one.

The problem with Phillips is that he's not going into his second season having played 35 games getting used to his teammates and a year training with Pep to absorb his ideas with some performances under his belt showing he's got the right level inside him.

He's resitting his first year.

Do you remember he came to us injured and needing surgery? As I've said before, elsewhere, Leeds tended to throw him in back into games after delayed surgery without the required recovery period needed and he'd go out again injured.

I think this has made him cautious in his games, but he's come through the games without injury and he'll kick on. This validates your statement of "resitting his first year", but doesn't negate my point on his injuries nor the Boo Boys coming for him.

All those players you named were not Prem level players and did Grealish not 'kick on' in his second season? It takes mentality to play in this league as it's demanding. Phillips can get there under Guardiola.

Yeah but they've all been on the Jimmy Corkhill diet doing smack in Toxteth, getting the full Scouse community experience.

I remember he refused surgery against doctrors advice until after the world cup.

You're a player who may never get the chance to play in the World Cup again if something freaky happens. The great original Ronaldo did the same thing. He was terrible in that WC, but he took the chance.

I don't fault Phillips for that thought process.

You're a player who may never get the chance to play in the World Cup again if something freaky happens. The great original Ronaldo did the same thing. He was terrible in that WC, but he took the chance.

I don't fault Phillips for that thought process.
He had his shoulder surgery last September, and then managed to get somewhere close to fitness in order to take his place in the World Cup squad.

He wouldn’t have been fully fit when he turned up at the WC, but the expectation was that he would work on his conditioning and have a few weeks of warm weather training to get up to speed, so that he could crack on when the domestic season resumed. City’s medical staff also went to great lengths so as to help the players when they returned after the WC. Unfortunately Phillips turned up in worse shape than when he left, and in no position to feature at a crucial period of the season.

He was however fully fit from January to June, but as we all know Guardiola refused to play him, other than in dead rubber games, even when key players were in dire need of a rest. On the odd occasions when he did play, he looked out of his depth, on the back foot, often hiding from the ball and unable to keep up with the pace of the game.

Personally I think he’s just been a bad buy, and the fact that we bid for Rice suggests to me that he won’t be around for that much longer.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.