Kalvin Phillips

We aren't going to spend €100m on Barella either.
Tolmie literally said we're prepared to offer 90m pounds. The Rice bid. I'm not a mathematician but I can do the hard work for you. That's just above €105m.

€105m > €100m.

> = greater than.

Tolmie literally said we're prepared to offer 90m pounds. The Rice bid. I'm not a mathematician but I can do the hard work for you. That's just above €105m.

€105m > €100m.

> = greater than.
Inter will reject that due to the lateness of the bid. We had turned down bids for Ederson and Ortega due to their importance of the team.

Inter will reject that due to the lateness of the bid.
Ahh shucks. That's tough to hear. Really thought we had a chance of signing a midfielder this window but you've convinced me that's not a reality. Gosh darn it.

Cheers for the intel Inzaghi.

I was hoping he would come good but it seems pretty obvious that Pep doesn't rate him.

I don't mind us selling him to Liverpool as he doesn't improve them that much and they're probably one of the few clubs that would give us 40m+ due to how desperate they are for a defensive midfielder. If we can get our money back then we'll have done very well considering how badly it has gone for him here.

If he does go then we just need to put this transfer down as an error in judgement and be more careful in the future about buying back-ups that aren't good enough to challenge the player they're competing with. It'll be interesting to see who we've lined up to replace him.

I think he's pretty much perfect for Liverpool. He'll run around like a madman much like Henderson used to in the early days and then when he does win the ball back his one outstanding technical quality is long passes, which their front 3 will love running onto.
In the few times Philips played for us I dont think running was something to note.

I dont think it was at Leeds either.

The current matter is that his intensity and speed of thought under pressure is just a little too slow for us. In our system thats too vital for us.

I could see him doing the long diagonal passes for Liverpool though and putting in the odd tackle to snuff things out.

But unsure on his ability under pressure, maybe that wont matter for Liverpool.

I was hoping he would come good but it seems pretty obvious that Pep doesn't rate him.

I don't mind us selling him to Liverpool as he doesn't improve them that much and they're probably one of the few clubs that would give us 40m+ due to how desperate they are for a defensive midfielder. If we can get our money back then we'll have done very well considering how badly it has gone for him here.

If he does go then we just need to put this transfer down as an error in judgement and be more careful in the future about buying back-ups that aren't good enough to challenge the player they're competing with. It'll be interesting to see who we've lined up to replace him.
He's been off the pace since he arrived , literally just jogging arround in midfield unable to close the opposition down. Never good enough for this team. Just one of those poor buys. Hopefully get shot in this window.

Your final paragraph sums the problem with Phillips up. Unfortunately from his perspective, he was bought to back up a player who has developed into an absolute world beater over the last 2 years. As such the drop off in replacing Rodri with Phillips is huge and seems too much for Pep to bare. It is a vicious circle, compounded by injury, and he needs to go. Where that leaves us in terms of giving Rodri a rest occasionally I’m not sure.

So would we be after two midfielders if he goes?
Based on what's been reported during the summer the club may even want three.

We were already after a midfielder before De Bruyne got injured (Bellingham, Rice) so that's one, then Kev picked up a long term injury and we wanted someone to cover his absence (Paqueta) so that's two and if Phillips leaves we'll need to replace him because despite the fact that he never plays, it's not sustainable for Rodri to play almost 60 games again this season so that's three.

Two is much more realistic though and if Foden is a genuine option in the middle then that's probably all we need. It's going to be hard to get two over the line this late in the window but hopefully Txiki can pull something out of the bag.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.