Kalvin Phillips

Just been reading Rodri 21/22 thread, starting at the beginning it was an interesting read on how we perceive Pep's thoughts on a player in our opinion.
One comment that raised a smile was " second worse player to Mendy" and some "get rid now" thrown in for good measure.
Think it turned out well in the end for him.
I haven't got an opinion on Phillips making it here or not because he hasn't had a decent run in the team and I really don't watch matches where city are not involved.
Judging him against the Rodri we are seeing now is not possible so far but city don't get it so wrong often and I hope there's a decent player in him, only time will tell.
The big difference is that Rodri was (mostly) trusted by Pep whereas KP seems not to be. I cannot see any realistic scenario where he turns things around.

I think we all agree he's probably not quite at our level but there's some very nasty things being said in this thread and across social media that I think are pretty reprehensible.

Like I posted above - all the dancing and gurning etc is likely a coping mechanism.

Wasn't it widely reported that he broke down in tears after the Leicester match?

Some very classless "blues" about. Not even Mangala or Bravo were subjected to the levels of abuse Philips is from corners of our own fanbase.

Mangala showed how poor he was on a very regular basis at City. Negative fan reaction was understandable and, in my opinion, usually well deserved. He simply isn't/wasn't a good footballer.

Bravo had a horrendous start at City and looked like he couldn't save anything on target. Again, negative fan reaction was understandable, but (again imo) perhaps unfair. Pep threw him in and let him struggle... Seemingly, just to show Joe Hart that he was out of the picture. This was the poorest piece of management I'd seen from Pep in his time at City.

Until...

Kalvin Phillips hasn't even had a decent chance to prove or improve his performance. He's been left high and dry by Pep and fans - no doubt hanging onto and influenced by Pep's every thought - jumped straight on his back. Pep's (seemingly obvious) lack of faith in Kalvin Phillips does no more than increase 'fan hatred' of the lad.

I'm no great believer in Kalvin's ability to play at elite level, but I do believe that he should be at least given a chance to show that he can do a job at City. He certainly doesn't deserve the level of criticism aimed at him. It's got out of hand.

Mangala showed how poor he was on a very regular basis at City. Negative fan reaction was understandable and, in my opinion, usually well deserved. He simply isn't/wasn't a good footballer.

Bravo had a horrendous start at City and looked like he couldn't save anything on target. Again, negative fan reaction was understandable, but (again imo) perhaps unfair. Pep threw him in and let him struggle... Seemingly, just to show Joe Hart that he was out of the picture. This was the poorest piece of management I'd seen from Pep in his time at City.

Until...

Kalvin Phillips hasn't even had a decent chance to prove or improve his performance. He's been left high and dry by Pep and fans - no doubt hanging onto and influenced by Pep's every thought - jumped straight on his back. Pep's (seemingly obvious) lack of faith in Kalvin Phillips does no more than increase 'fan hatred' of the lad.

I'm no great believer in Kalvin's ability to play at elite level, but I do believe that he should be at least given a chance to show that he can do a job at City. He certainly doesn't deserve the level of criticism aimed at him. It's got out of hand.
Well said. I agree with all of that mate.

Until...

Agreed. From what I remember with the mangler where I was sat it was more a bit of dark comedy rather than some of the vitriol we're seeing now.

whilst he is at city ill back him 100%,fucking disgraceful some of the comments on here, nobody on here has a clue what is going on with him,but want him out so we can buy another, well if he doesn't want to go tough shit, he needs backing not making out that he is the bad man,which he clearly isn't, credit to him for backing himself, hopefully he will become a solid player for us, he wouldn't be the first one to come good after they were slaughtered on here ,and if he goes well then ill wish him good luck for the future.

I just really think injuries have ruined him. There was a point where Kalvin was regarded as one of the best destroyer CDMs in Europe under Bielsa.

Brilliant at winning the ball. Made Leeds tic and had better performances for England than Rice. Injuries have really affected him. Hamstring at Leeds , Shoulder injury here. Knocks etc

It might be the reason Pep just doesn’t trust him , even if he’s working hard in training there’s always the issue of injury. If he can keep fit get Peps trust back and go back to what he was like under Bielsa we will have an incredible asset. A very good player

Until...

Some good points no doubt. Could you elaborate on the "left high and dry by Pep" bit?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.