Kalvin Phillips

Well he's not exactly showing any degree of belief in him is he?

Phillips has been widely criticised by a lot of City fans, and has become a figure of fun for many fans of other clubs.

Where's Pep’s public support? Even if he hates the lad, he should at least give him a decent chance.

If the lad is 'bad' in training, work on his game. We've got more coaches than Network Rail - are they all unable to work with Phillips to help improve his game?

If it's psychological, where's Pep’s 'arm round the shoulder' technique?

From the public perspective, Phillips seems to have upset Pep, and has effectively been 'hung out to dry'. Not exactly the best example of man-management is it?
I wonder if Pep ever wanted him. He certainly has not given him many chances but I cannot see that KP has done much to deserve them. I really wonder how our scouting/recruitment team made such a blunder.

Well he's not exactly showing any degree of belief in him is he?

Phillips has been widely criticised by a lot of City fans, and has become a figure of fun for many fans of other clubs.

Where's Pep’s public support? Even if he hates the lad, he should at least give him a decent chance.

If the lad is 'bad' in training, work on his game. We've got more coaches than Network Rail - are they all unable to work with Phillips to help improve his game?

If it's psychological, where's Pep’s 'arm round the shoulder' technique?

From the public perspective, Phillips seems to have upset Pep, and has effectively been 'hung out to dry'. Not exactly the best example of man-management is it?
Pep has said often enough, he doesn't want to be the player's mum nor dad. He doesn't feel responsible for motivational topics. Player's must be self motivated.

If Phillips doesn't show burning desire he lacks a basic key quality and it's his own problem when starting to "fight for his place" or not.
Btw, I must have missed the moment watching Kalvin fight in a City shirt. I saw him jogging across the pitch, smiling quite cute off it or walking his elephant boots though.

Pep wants to work with top attitude lads to get City to a different level compared to all the rest. That's why we are where we are now. Player's decision to join that road or not. They have to show Pep he can trust them or they won't play. That's no news. It's about Kalvin to deliver, not Pep.

Agreed. For all the talk of fighting, I haven't seen much of it.

What I have seen is a series of sub-standard, half-assed displays that he laughed off.

I think the final straw for Pep was the Leicester game, where his introduction turned a comfortable 3-0 into a game where we were really hanging on.
Pep made all 5 substitutions in the second half of that game which totally disrupted the team's momentum. (It certainly was a lesson learned in game management for Pep hence his explanation why there were no subs used at all last weekend v Newcastle).

I don't think you can blame Phillips alone for the turn around in the Leicester game.

Sadly some City fans seem to always need one player as a scapegoat no matter how successful our team is.

IMHO Rodri is world class , the best in his position, the first name on the team sheet. At present there is no footballer on the planet who could replicate what Rodri brings to our team.

No wonder Phillips couldn't get a game to replace him last season when virtually every game was a must win.

No single player could replace Rodri but Pep won't play a double pivot yet to cover Rodri's absence as it unbalances the team.

Let's see what the new signings bring to the table before writing off Phillips.

CTID

I wonder if Pep ever wanted him. He certainly has not given him many chances but I cannot see that KP has done much to deserve them. I really wonder how our scouting/recruitment team made such a blunder.
His performances for England in the Euros?

He looked a good player in those and for 40m seemed a sensible deal as a backup, but as we have seen , it's simply not worked out.

Mangala showed how poor he was on a very regular basis at City. Negative fan reaction was understandable and, in my opinion, usually well deserved. He simply isn't/wasn't a good footballer.

Bravo had a horrendous start at City and looked like he couldn't save anything on target. Again, negative fan reaction was understandable, but (again imo) perhaps unfair. Pep threw him in and let him struggle... Seemingly, just to show Joe Hart that he was out of the picture. This was the poorest piece of management I'd seen from Pep in his time at City.

Until...

Kalvin Phillips hasn't even had a decent chance to prove or improve his performance. He's been left high and dry by Pep and fans - no doubt hanging onto and influenced by Pep's every thought - jumped straight on his back. Pep's (seemingly obvious) lack of faith in Kalvin Phillips does no more than increase 'fan hatred' of the lad.

I'm no great believer in Kalvin's ability to play at elite level, but I do believe that he should be at least given a chance to show that he can do a job at City. He certainly doesn't deserve the level of criticism aimed at him. It's got out of hand.
I wholeheartedly agree with everything you say but what is fairly odd is that, at least until the end of last season, we know players were still pointing at Grealishes' first season and saying 'everyone struggles first year under Pep'.
They don't/didn't believe there was anything a miss - but clearly this isn't the same as others pre season.

Did Kalvin sleep with one of Peps daughters? Wtf. Even Hart got game time early on even thought it was clear he was surplus to requirements.

I dont think it's an issue with Philips the problem is Rodri is so important to how we play and is probably the best in the world in his position, pep wants to play him every minute. Philips is a great player and will do well wherever he goes he just can get a run of games here as he can only play one position and that spot is filled best a guy that is key to our play style, Nunes and kovacic can play along side Rodri as well as cover for him. He seems a nice lad and was recommended to pep by marcelo bielsa so I cant imagine attitude or effort would be an issue.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.