Kalvin Phillips

I have the feeling pep will play him the first half dozen games he will have to show pep he has learned of not he be on the bench and out the door January

He looks like a player that has won a raffle to play for City.

He is completely out if his depth in our team. Looks like a rabbit in the headlights.

The giveaways in his position are absolutely lethal, i think there are some things he does well, but can't have a 6 that gives the ball away inside his own half three times a game.

That has to stop and it has to stop very soon, if it's still happening once the competitive games start he won't get minutes.

He just seems to…lackadaisical which is the opposite of what I thought he’d be when we got him.

The second goal today was him miscontrolling it, then jogging following a player to the wing before lazily jumping into midfield to a ball he was never going to get.

Yes it’s a pre-season but those are things that come with ability to read situations and the game, not fitness (IMO anyway) given how often we’ve seen it since he signed.

Hope it works out for him personally, think there’s something there to offer us but there’s not many positive signs.

I just find it weird how posters are pointing to the last four 'meaningless' games Phillips played in the season and don't seem to factor in that, over the course of the season, h probably turned out above average for appearances min-wise in a first season under Guardiola.

So, all the 2-15 min cameos over a season that usually happens came in a range of games.

Last season was the first time Guardiola, that I can recall, used players from the bench with 20 or more mins left in the game.
You're not serious?

He played 593 minutes last season.

Sergio Gomez played 971.

In Grealish's first season he played 2730.

In Rodri's first season he played 3711.

I could go on.

Angelino played 892 minutes in 19/20, and he left for Leipzig in the January window.

Even Rodwell played 607 minutes in 12/13.

As far as I can tell, the last first team signing to play less minutes than Phillips during their first season at the club was Scott Sinclair.

Last edited:
I think he'd better pushed higher up. He is too careless in possession to play that Rodri position where you are expected to be on the ball so much and receive it from every angle

For me he looses possession too easily & doesn't have the pace to recover.
Maybe, just maybe that will come with games. He has not really played for god knows how long and that takes its toll on any player. Needs to improve, but we have to give him a chance.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.