Kalvin Phillips

Honestly, I'm not really bothered. I've argued all day for the positive side of Phillips that I can't be arsed with negative 'fans' tearing down a player needing confidence that plays in our Blue shirt.

As long as he gets his head and confidence up, that'll do for me and whatever gets you guys off to knock him down I hope you cling to it.

Seen it since Edgehill, when it clicked with me he was a Boo Boy.

Didn't like it then and I don't like it now.
This is a forum mate. Not the ground. A forum is used for debate, and a platform to do so. This is exactly the *forum* to discuss and question him. It doesn’t mean anyone is “tearing” or “knocking him down”.

If people booed him every time he touched the ball at the Etihad I would agree with you. However, they don’t - partly because Pep didn’t trust him to play, and partly because we know it’s not the time or the place.

Stating obvious facts around his playing time is just that - stating facts. It doesn’t mean he’s a boo boy, and certainly doesn’t mean people want him to fail. Far from it.

But not every signing works, and right now it doesn’t look like he will. I mean come on, in what serious game did Pep trust him. It must have been embarrassing for him.

Here’s hoping he steps up.

I think he'd better pushed higher up. He is too careless in possession to play that Rodri position where you are expected to be on the ball so much and receive it from every angle

I think I mentioned on here before that he and Rice have tried to play that position for England before and both looked limited. They would basically hide behind the pressing opponents and offer no out ball for the keeper or defender in possession.

You have to be a highly intelligent player to play in that position, as well as extremely confident and comfortable on the ball. You have to enjoy the responsibility and having the ball.

But that's why you could count one on hand the players in that position anywhere near the level of Rodri in the whole of football.

So there's always going to be a big drop off in terms of quality if Rodri can't play, but id prefer to have a backup that at least looks a little bit comfortable in that position and understands positioning instead of looking like they're hiding.

I think I mentioned on here before that he and Rice have tried to play that position for England before and both looked limited. They would basically hide behind the pressing opponents and offer no out ball for the keeper or defender in possession.

You have to be a highly intelligent player to play in that position, as well as extremely confident and comfortable on the ball. You have to enjoy the responsibility and having the ball.

But that's why you could count one on hand the players in that position anywhere near the level of Rodri in the whole of football.

So there's always going to be a big drop off in terms of quality if Rodri can't play, but id prefer to have a backup that at least looks a little bit comfortable in that position and understands positioning instead of looking like they're hiding.
Definitely, the thing with Kalvin is that I don't think he ever looks to be hiding from the ball for City or England. He just doesn't look like he's comfortable on it facing his own goal.

Whereas during the World Cup, Rice was definitely "hiding" and offered no easy pass out when Pickford, Stones or Maguire had the ball. Always felt with Rice that he just needs better coaching than what he would receive with Moyes et al. Give him 6-12 months and Arteta will have that right.

Easy champ -Everyone’s entitled to an opinion, as you point out, just don’t resort to aggressive personal abuse when it doesn’t concur with yours.
I'm not resorting to anything. It's obvious you don't rate the guy but that's no reason to post over the top BS. I don't give a fuck what your opinion is, I'm not trying to convince you or anyone else of anything. In fact, I've plainly stated that personally I'm not sure how KP will play out here.

Take note I said you're being a prick, I didn't say you are one. But I can be persuaded fella...

I thought he looked very confused yesterday in terms of where to be to accept the ball.

Perrone looked more able at that.

But I suspect/hope that Philips gets better at that after another few games. I also suspect that he'll not be a direct alternative to Rodri. If Rodri is out then it'll be Phillips plus another filling in and we'll have to change formation. Philips just isn't able to do a Rodri role alone imo. But we'll see.

Errr, OK, but I replied to this….

I never said a word about whatever it us you’re going on about!

Never mentioned pressing or hustle or ANYTHING negative!

The goalkeeper was claiming that Phillips interfered with him as he scrambled across his goal. Phillips just stood his ground and tried to make himself small so Alvarez didn’t hit him! THAT was what I was referring to.

And, lest it go unnoticed, I’ve been one of the few who have asked for Phillips to be given a season to see if he can be City material. There is a player in there, but I’m not sure if he is a City (Best team in Europe) player or simply a decent Premier League player for the right team and right system for him.
In the context of what was being posted non stop I took it to be another dig. My apologies if I misunderstood your post. I have no reason not to take you at your word...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.