Kalvin Phillips

His agent done an amazing job getting him his city contract. Not sure how we paid him so much for so long. For me he was never more than a stopgap. That and the Nunes transfer really baffle me. But I suppose you can't get them all right.
I'm sure Pep thought Kalvin could deputise for Rodri, or even play alongside him.
Perhaps Pep was blinded by Bielsa's (relatively) successful style of football with Leeds ?
He has extolled the virtues of Bielsa, who is an interesting character.
Leeds certainly initially played enterprising, attacking football that entertained. Phillips was a crucial part of this.
Kalvin was also respected by Gareth Southgate and a key part of his midfield.
Every team make mistakes with signatures.
City under Pep, have done better than most...

I'm sure Pep thought Kalvin could deputise for Rodri, or even play alongside him.
Perhaps Pep was blinded by Bielsa's (relatively) successful style of football with Leeds ?
Leeds certainly initially played enterprising, attacking football that entertained. Phillips was a crucial part of this.

It's not as if he's "crap" because he wouldn't ever got as far as he has to catch the eye of City. City are the loftiest football club in the world, right now. It takes levels of self assurance to play with pressure that none of us on BM can comprehend or we'd be out there in his place.

I think Phillips has a mental block and is, possibly, suffering from 'Imposters Syndrome'; where he doubts he should be worthy of where he is. Maybe Grealish is suffering a little bit of the same (I thought he's said as much before?).

I find it ridiculous reading the arseholes that tear him down when they're not out there doing his job.

I've always believe Pep wanted Phillips playing what is now sene as the Stones role and it's obvious if you remember his early pre season games, plus his early substitute appearances too it indicated a want for him to play as a CB/CM hybrid, unfortunately Kalvin wasn't positionally intelligent enough to adapt to Pep's plans for him which has been a disappointment all round.

Hopefully he can move on and still be useful to someone else he's just far from what we hoped for, him not working out here it's not Pep Txiki or Phillips fault mistakes do happen.

I've always believe Pep wanted Phillips playing what is now sene as the Stones role and it's obvious if you remember his early pre season games, plus his early substitute appearances too it indicated a want for him to play as a CB/CM hybrid, unfortunately Kalvin wasn't positionally intelligent enough to adapt to Pep's plans for him which has been a disappointment all round.

Hopefully he can move on and still be useful to someone else he's just far from what we hoped for, him not working out here it's not Pep Txiki or Phillips fault mistakes do happen.
Dont think so the Stones role didnt come into play till about xmas, Pep was rolling with the usual 433 (om paper Kalvin fit that when we bought him).

I think the fact he had to unlearn everything that had been drilled into him and didn't have any game time with the injury as well to get up to speed. He was always behind the curve and never recovered.

Hard to put into words how incredibly terrible this transfer has gone for the club.
I wonder if Pep ever regrets his comments on him after the WC, because it seems to have ruined him as a footballer.
Regardless, if it was a correct assessment of him or not.

Hopefully the club can just cut their losses soon, but these performances cannot be helping our negotiations at all!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.