Kalvin Phillips

Currently he's an expensive, outfield version of Scott Carson. Maybe he can take the 4th keeper role....

Wish it had worked, but nah, nevermind. I'll wish him the best every game he plays when he leaves, as long as it isn't against us, but even then I wouldn't exactly worry.
Weird comparison to Carson.

Carson was never signed to be a player. He is for all intents and purposes part of the goalkeeping coaching team and always has been.

Phillips is just a shite footballer who we should never have gone anywhere near in the first place.

Maybe another loan spell at a newly promoted relegated side. He shouldn't feel above that. Ross Barkley rejuvenated his career at Luton by putting in good performances. He's got a move to Villa out of it. His wasn't a loan spell of course, but it does no harm to shine in a team that may not even stay up.
Fixed the typo for you mate.

Weird comparison to Carson.

Carson was never signed to be a player. He is for all intents and purposes part of the goalkeeping coaching team and always has been.

Phillips is just a shite footballer who we should never have gone anywhere near in the first place.

Just mean that he's basically ended up being here for 'vibes' around the squad. He seems to do that part quite well, but never plays.

Obviously it's different, but there are similarities also.

Just mean that he's basically ended up being here for 'vibes' around the squad. He seems to do that part quite well, but never plays.

The expectations are massively different.

Carson does the job he was hired to do very well by all accounts.

Philips is just a useless gurn merchant.

Yeah, after all Pep is famous for wrecking the careers of footballers and coaching them backwards.

Oh, hang on a sec...
It was just odd that he went after his weight, and therefore one could summarize professionalism in a public manner.
It certainly doesn't looked like it helped matters.
I would just be curious if he wished he had a do-over.

If I hadn’t seen him put in a handful of competent performances for England and Leeds, I’d quite easily judge Phillips to be completely out of place in top flight football and therefore always destined to completely fail at City (and West Ham), due to the standard of football in the Premier League being several levels above his ability.

Certainly, that’s the conclusion you’d have to come to if you watched any of his performances over the last two two years.

The very basics of playing the central midfield role at a decent level have been missing. Making sure you are available. Thinking about the options that you or your mate will need when in possession two or three passes into the future - not just not always there, but consistently never there. To a degree you wouldn’t expect from a kid making his debut or a League One player.

But as I’ve seen him play decent games in the past, you have to conclude that at some point between his last decent performances for Leeds/England and making his debut for City, his head has completely gone. For footballing or non footballing reasons. More so than I’ve ever seen in a player. Even Rick Holden looked like he was giving it a go at times.

By all accounts the rest of the squad love him being around as he appears to be a good egg all round guy. He`ll never be out of work IMO.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.