Kalvin Phillips

I think Pep's just too much of a hard ass for a guy like Kalvin.

It's like someone who's been a decent bank clerk at a local branch in a Yorkshire village being promoted to work on a Wall St. trading floor and Pep is Gordon Gekko.

Do think there is an element of him being at a level too high with City and with a demanding coach. The combination of that and the inability to play like he was used to has left him trying to be too perfect. Each mistake feeds on the next and he's at a serious lack of confidence, especially when he sees someone like Rodri in front of him. But what he doesn't see is that Rodri makes mistakes, too. He just moves on from them. Kalvin seems like he can't.

Checked on transfermarket...

At Anderlecht it was 1 appearance out of 121 in midfield. At Hamburg it was around 60% of his matches in midfield (not totally accurate as some games don't have a position listed for him).

I'd say he was a natural defender, who could do a job in a limited role in midfield. No idea what our original plan was, but our immediate need was a midfield tackler. That will have changed once we got De Jong, and then Barry also. Whether moving him back was because of that, or we bought them because we wanted to move him back anyway, I have no idea. It was a good

Checked on transfermarket...

At Anderlecht it was 1 appearance out of 121 in midfield. At Hamburg it was around 60% of his matches in midfield (not totally accurate as some games don't have a position listed for him).

I'd say he was a natural defender, who could do a job in a limited role in midfield. No idea what our original plan was, but our immediate need was a midfield tackler. That will have changed once we got De Jong, and then Barry also. Whether moving him back was because of that, or we bought them because we wanted to move him back anyway, I have no idea. It was a good move though!
Kompany was signed in the summer of 2008, before Sheikhs had arrived. We also signed Zabaleta, after Corluka was sold to Spurs.

So by that time, we hadn’t even dreamed about Barry or DeJong

Kompany was replacement for Hamann and no one planned to play him centre-back as we had Richards, Dunne and Onuoha.

But he couldn’t play well and therefore was destined to be a flop.

Also after we signed DeJong, he didn’t get a chance as a CB. We signed Toure and Lescott as well

He only got his chance, when Mancini arrived and Toure got injured.

Kompany was signed in the summer of 2008, before Sheikhs had arrived. We also signed Zabaleta, after Corluka was sold to Spurs.

So by that time, we hadn’t even dreamed about Barry or DeJong

Kompany was replacement for Hamann and no one planned to play him centre-back as we had Richards, Dunne and Onuoha.

But he couldn’t play well and therefore was destined to be a flop.

Also after we signed DeJong, he didn’t get a chance as a CB. We signed Toure and Lescott as well

He only got his chance, when Mancini arrived and Toure got injured.

I think I'm generally agreeing, but my point is that he was a huge prospect as a defender, playing regularly for Anderlecht as a 16 year old.

He was an adequate defensive midfielder, purely a destroyer in that role.

We needed someone who could do that at that time, and you say he couldn't play well, I'm not so sure about that. He wasn't the best, but filled a need and was better than any alternatives we had.

I don't think it was a surprise he got moved back to his natural position. Mancini did some great things for us, but doing this didn't make him a genius, it was just common sense.

I think I'm generally agreeing, but my point is that he was a huge prospect as a defender, playing regularly for Anderlecht as a 16 year old.

He was an adequate defensive midfielder, purely a destroyer in that role.

We needed someone who could do that at that time, and you say he couldn't play well, I'm not so sure about that. He wasn't the best, but filled a need and was better than any alternatives we had.

I don't think it was a surprise he got moved back to his natural position. Mancini did some great things for us, but doing this didn't make him a genius, it was just common sense.
Yeah, like common sense is now to move Kalvin into central defence and use him.

We signed him for 40, right now we are unable to sell him even for 10m I guess.

He showed his potential as a CB and therefore can give Pep more flexibility in terms of tactics.

------------------------Ederson / Ortega-------------------------------
----Walker/Rico--------Ruben/Kalvin-----------Guardiol/Ake------
---------------John/Akanji-----------Rodri/Kova-----------------------
Bernie/Savio---KDB/Macatee-----Foden/Matheus--Grealish/Doku
----------------------------Haaland/Bobb/Alvarez?----------------------

Se let's imagine we don't sign any new players other than Savio and don't sell anyone as well..
We have two players Ederson and Alvarez, who we aren't sure about, but other ones will stay.

It means that Rodri replacement is still an issue. Cause against the bigger teams, replacing Rodri with Kovacic, won't be as productive, as we wished to. And mainly it will cost us in ball possession and build-ups, as we won't be as solid in that areas, as we are with Rodri.

Kalvin as a CB, with his long-ball-deliveries, can help us to balance those areas, when Rodri isn't on the pitch. Yep as a defender he may not be as good as Ruben is or other ones, but when Rodri isn't on the pitch, defence isn't the most important one to think about.

So like....

------------------------Ederson----------------------------
-------Walker---------Kalvin-----------Guardiol---------
----------------John------------Kova-----------------------
Bernie--------KDB-------------Foden-----------Grealish
------------------------Haaland-----------------------------

This 11 for me is better with Kalvin, than with Ruben or other ones, when it comes to covering for Rodri.

Yeah, like common sense is now to move Kalvin into central defence and use him.

We signed him for 40, right now we are unable to sell him even for 10m I guess.

He showed his potential as a CB and therefore can give Pep more flexibility in terms of tactics.

------------------------Ederson / Ortega-------------------------------
----Walker/Rico--------Ruben/Kalvin-----------Guardiol/Ake------
---------------John/Akanji-----------Rodri/Kova-----------------------
Bernie/Savio---KDB/Macatee-----Foden/Matheus--Grealish/Doku
----------------------------Haaland/Bobb/Alvarez?----------------------

Se let's imagine we don't sign any new players other than Savio and don't sell anyone as well..
We have two players Ederson and Alvarez, who we aren't sure about, but other ones will stay.

It means that Rodri replacement is still an issue. Cause against the bigger teams, replacing Rodri with Kovacic, won't be as productive, as we wished to. And mainly it will cost us in ball possession and build-ups, as we won't be as solid in that areas, as we are with Rodri.

Kalvin as a CB, with his long-ball-deliveries, can help us to balance those areas, when Rodri isn't on the pitch. Yep as a defender he may not be as good as Ruben is or other ones, but when Rodri isn't on the pitch, defence isn't the most important one to think about.

So like....

------------------------Ederson----------------------------
-------Walker---------Kalvin-----------Guardiol---------
----------------John------------Kova-----------------------
Bernie--------KDB-------------Foden-----------Grealish
------------------------Haaland-----------------------------

This 11 for me is better with Kalvin, than with Ruben or other ones, when it comes to covering for Rodri.

Saying we'd be better with him there than Ruben is a bit of a stretch!

Certainly could work at times though - depends on who we were up against. Wouldn't want to see Kalvin there against any kind of top team, but it could certainly work against bottom half teams at home.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.