Kalvin Phillips

Saying we'd be better with him there than Ruben is a bit of a stretch!

Certainly could work at times though - depends on who we were up against. Wouldn't want to see Kalvin there against any kind of top team, but it could certainly work against bottom half teams at home.

Yep, that's what I am talking about.

Considering we won't be getting much for him, it's reasonable to keep him and use here & there, as it will be a big big season.

Maybe he even becomes suitable for "Akanji / Stones" role, once he regains full confidence and form.

But if decent offer arrives 20-25M, I would sell.

Yep, that's what I am talking about.

Considering we won't be getting much for him, it's reasonable to keep him and use here & there, as it will be a big big season.

Maybe he even becomes suitable for "Akanji / Stones" role, once he regains full confidence and form.

But if decent offer arrives 20-25M, I would sell.
Agreed, a sale and fresh start for all (plus an empty squad space) would be best for all ideally. But if that doesn't happen, at least we've possibly found a way to utilise him.

Very pleased that he had a decent tour and the last 2 games will benefit us because maybe a team will think he's worth a punt on. He showed he has a good pass in him but still on a couple of occasions gave possession away cheaply - something Pep hates. He also got in a couple of great blocks too.

There is little chance he will stay and get games. I think he knows it will never work out for him at a top four side but he could still prove to be good at mid to lower premier level? Depends how much we are prepared to lose on his wages and if a team ignores his disastrous West Ham loan.

Very pleased that he had a decent tour and the last 2 games will benefit us because maybe a team will think he's worth a punt on. He showed he has a good pass in him but still on a couple of occasions gave possession away cheaply - something Pep hates. He also got in a couple of great blocks too.

There is little chance he will stay and get games. I think he knows it will never work out for him at a top four side but he could still prove to be good at mid to lower premier level? Depends how much we are prepared to lose on his wages and if a team ignores his disastrous West Ham loan.
Very clever of pep to play him in a different position, so he looks good in the shop window which is what it was all about.

Mascherano would never be a starter in the Barca midfield of Xavi / busquets / iniesta / febregas / Messi etc but became one of the first names on the team sheet in the Pep era after he was converted alongside Puyol. Phillips in this city midfield wouldn’t either. Pep has given him the opportunity and I’m interested to see if it works.

Very clever of pep to play him in a different position, so he looks good in the shop window which is what it was all about.
By giving Kalvin a 180 degree field of view, rather than the 360 needed for a City pivot, Pep played a blinder. He also allowed him to show off his range with the deep ball out wide, and his tackling ability.

If no-one picks him up for real money, no-one can blame Pep after what he’s done.

OR, and indulge me, Pep sees something there and is trying to squeeze it out of him to regain some confidence and play a part for us, knowing the club can’t lose £50M plus wages on the guy.

Last edited:
I hope he has a john stones year. Stones was once almost sold but the following year he proved his worth. Give this kid a chance. I think he will be pretty good as a center back.
I'd like to see that.

It would be like a new signing. Which would also give boulders the confidence to keep improving in his DM role.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.