Kalvin Phillips

It doesn’t happen often these days in regards to getting it wrong in the transfer market but I fear that Kalvin just hasn’t got the overall quality required to play in this team. It’s no sleight on him because we are the best team on the planet. I don’t see him getting any serious minutes this season so I’d like to think both the club and player can work something out. Not going to slag him off. He seems a good kid, just a case of not quite being at the level required. Others who may have struggled at first in the past showed they had it in them to make the step up, ive just not seen much evidence from him so far, sadly.

If Phillips was prepared to move out of the comfortable chair he's apparently decided to sit himself in at City; probably quite a few.

He's a Championship player that we signed by mistake.

I'm sorry but I asked the OP who of the " 40 or so " players he suggested City would take.

But thanks for jumping in

If Phillips was prepared to move out of the comfortable chair he's apparently decided to sit himself in at City; probably quite a few.

He's a Championship player that we signed by mistake.
Whilst he may not be upto City's level you last comment is crap, there will be plenty of PL clubs after his signature if he leaves.

Last edited:
Whilst he may not be upto City's level you last comment is crap, there will be plenty of PL clubs after his signature if he leaves.
He was a good player at Leeds. He looks like a fish out of water at City. It's a world of difference.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall there being plenty of PL clubs lining up to sign him when we got him.

He was a gamble that hasn't come off.

I'm sorry but I asked the OP who of the " 40 or so " players he suggested City would take.

But thanks for jumping in

Put your purse down Gladys.

I obviously meant that City would probably take quite a few of any 40 he could name, if the price was right.

Don't post on an open forum if you don't want other members to jump in...

:-)

He was a good player at Leeds. He looks like a fish out of water at City. It's a world of difference.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall there being plenty of PL clubs lining up to sign him when we got him.

Pep wanted someone to cover Rodri and I'm sure Bielsa gave the stamp of approval and it went from there. It didn't really make sense at the time as his style of play was much more suited to Klopp and Liverpool. Win the ball back and fire it forwards to someone else. He wasn't the conductor of the orchestra like Rodri is, or like Rice has the potential to become.

However, we didn't need the cover for Rodri so all that Kalvin really cost us was the £40m and the league cup - as he was horrific in that game at Southampton. We'll sell him for £25-30m whenever we do - January probably - when he's had enough of being on the bench and Gareth has told him he won't be at the Euros unless he moves.

Kovacic looks capable of covering Rodri if needed and Perrone in time could do as well - I really like the look of him.

Until then, I'll support him and hope he can step up and play some sort of positive role for us, perhaps alongside Rodri.

Put your purse down Gladys.

I obviously meant that City would probably take quite a few of any 40 he could name, if the price was right.

Don't post on an open forum if you don't want other members to jump in...

:-)

Thanks but still not a reply with specific names, although I failed to appreciate your ability to anticipate exactly what @Tb1981 thinks.

And nothing " obvious " in your reply either, but your input is invaluable even.................................. if uninvited on this occasion.

I do feel for Phillips, the issues with fitness have set him back and I'm not sure he can recover from that at city add that to his lack of confidence to play his natural game is not helping him. I hope he turns it round, there's a good player in there with a great passing range, my feeling is its a step to far and we won't see the real phillips till he moves to another club playing week in week out.

Really want him to succeed, and I’m usually quite patient with new signings, but Phillips just looks miles off. Think it might be one of the very few times where the club got it wrong. Doesn’t look remotely close to the level required, there’s probably a reason to why Pep barely played him at all last season. If West Ham is still interested it’s something worth exploring

Not sure which clubs were interested at the time we bought him, but I think Villa, West Ham, Newcastle and possibly Liverpool would be interested if he wanted to leave now.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.