Kalvin Phillips

Not sure which clubs were interested at the time we bought him, but I think Villa, West Ham, Newcastle and possibly Liverpool would be interested if he wanted to leave now.
Maybe there was a reason Leeds sold him to us so easily without a release clause? I’m joking of course, but it was an easy negotiation even with them not being relegated. We overpaid

Maybe there was a reason Leeds sold him to us so easily without a release clause? I’m joking of course, but it was an easy negotiation even with them not being relegated. We overpaid
As soon as City were interested, Phillips wanted to leave and I suspect Leeds didn't want to keep an unhappy player. As for overpaying £42m for an England international was a reasonable fee at the time.

As soon as City were interested, Phillips wanted to leave and I suspect Leeds didn't want to keep an unhappy player. As for overpaying £42m for an England international was a reasonable fee at the time.
We and other clubshave approached several players who wanted to leave and clubs didn’t make it easy. It was certainly an exception. And many international players (better ones) get sold for lesser fees.

We and other clubshave approached several players who wanted to leave and clubs didn’t make it easy. It was certainly an exception. And many international players (better ones) get sold for lesser fees.
Not current England internationals, though. From the Euro 2020 squad (played in 2021) that reached the final, the midfielders moved for:

Phillips - £42M
Rice - £105M
Grealish - £100M
Mount - £60M
Bellingham - £88M
Sancho - £73M

I'm sorry but I asked the OP who of the " 40 or so " players he suggested City would take.

But thanks for jumping in
Not many
But the point wasn’t to sign them, more thd fact he isn’t anywhere close to top level
He is average at best

Not many
But the point wasn’t to sign them, more thd fact he isn’t anywhere close to top level
He is average at best

Thanks for the reply.

I can only presume that the management disagreed when taking the decision to sign him.

Not sure that they deliberately sign average players, but he hasn't had the best of starts, for whatever reasons, that much I will agree with.

I personally hope that he can prove his detractors wrong having made their decision, but time will tell, assuming he stays at the club.

I see a lot of similarities in the comments made about Philips after his first those season to those made about Rodri after his first season - ”too slow, caught in possession too often, can’t make a forward pass“ etc, etc.

It all seems to have worked our pretty well for Rodri so it looks like the braintrust that runs the Club know more about football than the vast majority of posters on here.

Will it work out for Phillips ? I dont know. In my opinion, based on why I’ve see so far, I don’t think so. However I confess I may made some negative comments about Rodri so it just shows what I know.

Thanks for the reply.

I can only presume that the management disagreed when taking the decision to sign him.

Not sure that they deliberately sign average players, but he hasn't had the best of starts, for whatever reasons, that much I will agree with.

I personally hope that he can prove his detractors wrong having made their decision, but time will tell, assuming he stays at the club.
I’ve always thought he was overrated playing next to rice for England
I still wanted him to do well
But he just isn’t up to it and I’d get rid now because he won’t play

Some signings just don't work out. We'll get our money back on him anyway.

Eeez football.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.