Kalvin Phillips

No surprise he looked less shaky with Rodri next to him. Is that the first time we've seen them together?
Having him playing alongside Rodders for a bit will do him the world of good. Will help him learn and take a bit of the pressure off.

He's obvs staying to fight for his place so while my gut still tells me he's quite at our level I'm going to back him 100%. I really want the lad to prove me wrong.

Thought he looked more 'at it' in this cameo. Added a couple of first touch passes to his repertoire from previous outings, and he can properly ping a nice pass. Can't see him ever being a mainstay but if he can keep on improving he should be able to lighten the load from Rodri. Which is exactly what we bought him for.

Totally useless in the squad
Kalvin has a chance to play some games if he's willing to be adaptable and learn to play in new positions like Delph (MD to LB), Zinchenko (LW to LB), Cancelo (RB to LB), Ake (CB to LB), Fernandinho (DM to CB), Foden (AM to LW), Stones (CB to DM) have.

Kalvin could train to be a CB or RB/LB. His pace will be a problem for RB/LB but he is good at passing and gaining the ball back so he still could have value in the team. Yes he will always be a DM or MD player but I hope he tries to learn as he will get games if he does this.

I don't his issue is attitude but more of ability, from what I've seen, he's more suited playing DM for a counter-attacking team than a possession based team. Not press-resistant enough to play a lone DM for us.

There's a huge drop-off in our build up play when plays instead of Rodders, or even Kova as we saw today. Teams can press us higher up the pitch more when he plays.

He is ok and that's the issue for me.

Kovacic already has shown he is a class act and Perone looks a great prospect.

Phillips looks such a plodder to me and when we lose the ball he is so slow , his passing is very good I will say that.

He is ok and that's the issue for me.

Kovacic already has shown he is a class act and Perone looks a great prospect.

Phillips looks such a plodder to me and when we lose the ball he is so slow , his passing is very good I will say that.
His passing is 'very good' when he's allowed time on the ball, unfortunately our DMs don't get allowed time on the ball, hence you need to be press resistant

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.