Kamala Harris

We don't emphasize "ethnic" in real life. I know someone in the west try to use "ethnic issue" as a weapon to demonize our government. And you people in the west, the general public, tend to believe in that narrative. But the ironic thing is, that does not work in my country. We have no feeling about it.
And that is the same with many other "Chinese human rights" accusation from USA.
That is not the concern in real world.
You need to do more work to find out what is the real complaints, the real concerns, if you are truly interested in learning about my country.

We don't emphasize "ethnic" in real life. I know someone in the west try to use "ethnic issue" as a weapon to demonize our government. And you people in the west, the general public, tend to believe in that narrative. But the ironic thing is, that does not work in my country. We have no feeling about it.
And that is the same with many other "Chinese human rights" accusation from USA.
You need to do more work to find out what is the real complaints, the real concerns, if you are truly interested in learning about my country.

It's not really the thread for it but this is a conflict between the Chinese (read Chinese Communist, I suppose) view of the value of comformity compared to the western view of self-determination. The western view is that ethnicity may not be relevant to the ethnic Chinese, but it is very relevant to Uyghurs or Tibetans who have strong religous beliefs and their own languages, for example. The western view is you don't have to obliterate cultures to maintain a successful country. Of course, multi-culturism has its problems as well, as we are seeing all over the west at the moment.

It's not really the thread for it but this is a conflict between the Chinese (read Chinese Communist, I suppose) view of the value of comformity compared to the western view of self-determination. The western view is that ethnicity may not be relevant to the ethnic Chinese, but it is very relevant to Uyghurs or Tibetans who have strong religous beliefs and their own languages, for example. The western view is you don't have to obliterate cultures to maintain a successful country. Of course, multi-culturism has its problems as well, as we are seeing all over the west at the moment.
We don't obliterate the cultures. It's a modern world. It's quite nature the young generation live a modern life. Sports, tiktok, computer games, social media, go to school, learn some science and technology. That is the same with ehnic Han. The young Han boys and girls, they don't know much the "old culture" as well.
I know it's different. I see a lot of youtubers, they come to China, try to find some "Chinese culture", almost all of them go to some temples. They see some people in the temple, and they feel "oh this is Chinese culture, so beautiful". They have strong feeling. But no, we don't have much feeling about temples. Yes it's a part of the "culture", but it's only a very small part.

Having spent years flying to Hong Kong (Beijing & Shanghai) and meeting hundreds of people there, I’d say they were, to a person, not enamored of the CCP’s desire to impose Mainland “culture,” or whatever obfuscatory term you’d prefer, on HK residents who didn’t even consider themselves Chinese.

In Hong Kong, China had an opportunity they wasted. Everyone is waiting for Taiwan next.

Having spent years flying to Hong Kong (Beijing & Shanghai) and meeting hundreds of people there, I’d say they were, to a person, not enamored of the CCP’s desire to impose Mainland “culture,” or whatever obfuscatory term you’d prefer, on HK residents who didn’t even consider themselves Chinese.

In Hong Kong, China had an opportunity they wasted. Everyone is waiting for Taiwan next.
CCP didn't do much to impose mainland culture or influence in hongkong. They just left it there and didn't do anything.
Until 2019.
Taiwan, if you can speak mandarin, you can easily find out the madness in the taiwan media.
What did ccp do about taiwan? Propaganda?Nothing useful. Just like Hongkong.
We are sitting down here, waiting, waiting ,and waiting.
Back to the culture, I don't know exactly what is the mainland or Chinese culture. It's too abstract. It is a huge mixture of everything.
Whatever, it has nothing to do with Kamala Harris. By the way, I hope she can be the next potus. She is better than Trump. Trump is crazy and dangerous.

We don't obliterate the cultures. It's a modern world. It's quite nature the young generation live a modern life. Sports, tiktok, computer games, social media, go to school, learn some science and technology. That is the same with ehnic Han. The young Han boys and girls, they don't know much the "old culture" as well.
I know it's different. I see a lot of youtubers, they come to China, try to find some "Chinese culture", almost all of them go to some temples. They see some people in the temple, and they feel "oh this is Chinese culture, so beautiful". They have strong feeling. But no, we don't have much feeling about temples. Yes it's a part of the "culture", but it's only a very small part.
Dalai GIFs | Tenor

CCP didn't do much to impose mainland culture or influence in hongkong. They just left it there and didn't do anything.
Until 2019.
Taiwan, if you can speak mandarin, you can easily find out the madness in the taiwan media.
What did ccp do about taiwan? Propaganda?Nothing useful. Just like Hongkong.
We are sitting down here, waiting, waiting ,and waiting.
Back to the culture, I don't know exactly what is the mainland or Chinese culture. It's too abstract. It is a huge mixture of everything.
Whatever, it has nothing to do with Kamala Harris. By the way, I hope she can be the next potus. She is better than Trump. Trump is crazy and dangerous.

:) I would argue that the young Han don't know the "old culture" well as it is being obliterated, as it is with Tibetans, Uyghurs and Hong Kongers and will inevitably be with Taiwan, in favour of a Communist Chinese culture. The reason westerners who visit China visit temples, historical sites and the like is because they value historical culture much more than the current political culture. It's not a criticism from me, I am not going to tell the Chinese how they should be governed, but surely you can't deny it is happening?

Would like to talk more about this, but as you say, it isn't the place. In any case, keep posting on any topic. Always good to listen to different views.

:) I would argue that the young Han don't know the "old culture" well as it is being obliterated, as it is with Tibetans, Uyghurs and Hong Kongers and will inevitably be with Taiwan, in favour of a Communist Chinese culture. The reason westerners who visit China visit temples, historical sites and the like is because they value historical culture much more than the current political culture. It's not a criticism from me, I am not going to tell the Chinese how they should be governed, but surely you can't deny it is happening?

Would like to talk more about this, but as you say, it isn't the place. In any case, keep posting on any topic. Always good to listen to different views.
To make it easy to understand, our old culture is like the dark Middle Ages in European history. And the tibetans, even worse. Most of them were slaves, literally. Our modern culture, is not that "communist", it's more like a secularized culture.
I don't think anyone in my country want to go back to the old days, especially the tibetans. Even now, a lot of tibetans still worship portraits of chairman Mao in their house, it's Mao who sent a big army to save their lives.
For us, the Chinese revolution between 1921~1949 is the most important event. It's a evolution of our culture. It's like the Renaissance in Europe.
I'd prefer to tell those foreigners to visit some modern history(1840~1949)museums. If they don't underestand this part of history, they don't really know what they are talking about when they say "i love china's culture and history".
Anyway, one thing can be sure, we are not a George Orwell's 1984 style country.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.