Kamala Harris

Oh my.
That's some commute.
The guy who ran that bar at the time was called John (and had visited Manchester a few times as he had a friend in Bolton of all places). Remember the 2nd visit (with my ex) and wouldn't let us pay for a single drink. Unreal.
Always wonder what happened to him.

I felt like a king travelling over there in my early 20's on my first visit. After Oakland I extended my stay and spent another two weeks in a local YMCA just off Union Square.

Remember walking down Columbus Avenue arm in arm with two gorgeous, blonde Irish girls, one of which kindly donated an old fashioned 'snog'.
I also managed to grab a date with this amazing American girl who worked on the desk at the youth hostel.

I don't think I've ever recreated that high to this day. Today me looks back at then me and wonders how the fuck a shy lad pulled all that off (alcohol probs).

Might get some traction and take my kids over next year. A Trumpless USA looks so much more positive.
You come here, we're going drinking, mate.

Funny in my youth I never quite managed such a feat as you! But then again I'm not English. Though a college girlfriend was Irish. But I only had one, not two at once!

You come here, we're going drinking, mate.

Funny in my youth I never quite managed such a feat as you! But then again I'm not English. Though a college girlfriend was Irish. But I only had one, not two at once!
Haha. Deal.

I was ultra shy as a kid. Struggled big time around girls. But I always hooked up with this girl at parties when I was around 15. Couple of drinks in and we'd lock in for the duration of the evening: outside of them I could barely make eye contact so they never went any further.

Probably why today I'll never diss alcohol too much despite it's nefarious, potent qualities at times.
After the split with my ex 6 years ago or so, I've pretty much remained single, bar a few flings and short stints. The admin all seems too much and my peace is in abundance.
But I do love the company of women so who knows....

Jeez....apologies, I've taken this thread on a merry Walz. Yay Harris!

Haha. Deal.

I was ultra shy as a kid. Struggled big time around girls. But I always hooked up with this girl at parties when I was around 15. Couple of drinks in and we'd lock in for the duration of the evening: outside of them I could barely make eye contact so they never went any further.

Probably why today I'll never diss alcohol too much despite it's nefarious, potent qualities at times.
After the split with my ex 6 years ago or so, I've pretty much remained single, bar a few flings and short stints. The admin all seems too much and my peace is in abundance.
But I do love the company of women so who knows....

Jeez....apologies, I've taken this thread on a merry Walz. Yay Harris!
Four more years!!!

I may be (politely) suggesting that being angry about an initialism is… well… it’s a little silly really!

DEI doesn’t actually mean anything by itself. As a disabled member of the workforce I’ve been party to absolutely loads of accessibility and diversity committees. Some are great and forces for genuine good, some are shit. Such is life.

I actually set up a colleague network in one of the banks I worked for which I believe is still in existence over 10 years later. I created it to support people with disabilities, caring needs and mental health problems. Do you know why I set it up? I was doing a tour of the call centre one day and I came across a blind man working there (he’d gone blind recently during his employment due to an illness). The IT team had told him that they couldn’t install a simple screen reader on one of his systems, so he had to ask a colleague to verbally read stuff out to him when he needed information. I thought it was honestly disgraceful that this poor bloke was being made to feel like a burden and was being hindered in his work because they wouldn’t do something so simple. I went to one of the executives that week to get it fixed and get a sponsor for the committee.

So you see, these things often exist to solve very practical problems in people’s every day lives. Do some companies just set them up to pay lip service to staff in a cynical virtue signalling way to look like they’re doing something good? Of course. Which is why it is super important to actually look at the details of what is actually being done, and not get so hung up over slogans, acronyms and branding from which you can usually determine very little.
The Diversity Bonus by Scott Page is a really good read. Some years ago I too was skeptical of DEI initiatives, I am sure in part because as a well-off white guy with a pretty good voice I was afraid of having it shunted in favo(u)r of other, less experienced voices.

But as part of a non-profit I was involved in, I read this book at it made some really good mathematical arguments in favo(u)r of how diverse voices lead to better results/outcomes/decision-making in knowledge-based businesses and services (albeit not normally in rote manufacturing settings).

That's not to say such efforts/initiatives aren't sometimes mismangaged or ham-handed -- like everything else, they can be -- but it changed my structural view on how effective they can be.

Fucking hell, I’m not into this American shit and have never seen Harris in action, but wow, no wonder the MAGA should be worried.

I can see the real Republicans stepping back and re-evaluating their position as they know this may be a generational change.

Very American, but very real.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.