Kaoru Mitoma

Cost Brighton less than £5m.
It's hard to criticise Txiki's transfer dealings given our success over the last six years but if there's one thing we've not been great at is finding bargains. I suppose it's a consequence of being expected to compete for the league and the Champions League every season meaning that we can't afford to take a risk on a player who might not be good enough at the top level.

We only seem prepared to take a risk on players from lower down the league if they're English (Grealish and Philips for example) presumably because of the benefits that come with signing homegrown players.

That's not to say we haven't had some bargains. Alvarez (14m) could turn out to be one of the bargains of the century. Gundogan (20m) and Bernardo (43m) have been incredible value for money but they were already very highly rated across Europe. Obviously Haaland (51m) was an absolute steal but that was a release clause and is not really what I'm talking about.

Every now and then it would be nice to see us discover a hidden gem like Mitoma as the potential upside is absolutely huge, imagine if we had got him for 5m instead of paying 100m for Grealish. I accept this sort of thing is rarely going to happen at a club like ours now though.

It's hard to criticise Txiki's transfer dealings given our success over the last six years but if there's one thing we've not been great at is finding bargains. I suppose it's a consequence of being expected to compete for the league and the Champions League every season meaning that we can't afford to take a risk on a player who might not be good enough at the top level.

We only seem prepared to take a risk on players from lower down the league if they're English (Grealish and Philips for example) presumably because of the benefits that come with signing homegrown players.

That's not to say we haven't had some bargains. Alvarez (14m) could turn out to be one of the bargains of the century. Gundogan (20m) and Bernardo (43m) have been incredible value for money but they were already very highly rated across Europe. Obviously Haaland (51m) was an absolute steal but that was a release clause and is not really what I'm talking about.

Every now and then it would be nice to see us discover a hidden gem like Mitoma as the potential upside is absolutely huge, imagine if we had got him for 5m instead of paying 100m for Grealish. I accept this sort of thing is rarely going to happen at a club like ours now though.
Our bargains are out on loan in the CFG, remains to be seen who impresses as Mitoma did on his loan away from Brighton.

Our bargains are out on loan in the CFG, remains to be seen who impresses as Mitoma did on his loan away from Brighton.
Yeah good point, just seen he was on loan in Belgium last season and before that was playing in Japan. It just goes to show there's quality everywhere not just in the top European leagues.

Only made his pro debut in Japan a couple years ago, at the age of 23. Great scouting by Brighton.

Their transfer policy is fantastic. The bargains they find so consistently is staggering really. Fair play to them.

Mitoma is electric, brilliant to watch.

Their transfer policy is fantastic. The bargains they find so consistently is staggering really. Fair play to them.

Mitoma is electric, brilliant to watch.
I agree and Mitoma has looked dangerous everytime i've seen him since the World Cup.

As someone said earlier though, it's their head of scouting we need to sign.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.