Karen Carney review of women's football

Yes, for your clarity, if someone says a sponsor who wants to be invovled in sponsoring the womens team should earmark a specific amount of their money that goes to the womens team it means exactly what it says. It's not a trick.

That's fine and makes sense. Say that then, instead of throwing around spurious figures that at even a cursory glance would be obviously unworkable.

You never did clarify whether she stated the quoted figures or the quote was wrong - I didn't watch MNF and there isn't a video attached to the tweet, just the quote. Again, if the quote is incorrect or the context drastically changes the meaning I retract what I said.

The questions I asked were clearly hyperbolic but in an event with externally defined amounts, as in 'you will give 50% to each of' and not 'I have decided I will give 50% to each of' seemingly ridiculous situations will need to be discussed.

To be clear: 'I will give MCFC £x of which, y% will be for the women's team' absolutely makes sense. For a third party to define what those proportions should be (which is how I interpreted Carney's comments) does not.

My comments haven't been intended as an attack on women's football, merely to note that defining absolute figures for sponsorship amounts as seems to have happened last night in my opinion cannot and will not work.

Last edited:

She was calling last night for club sponsors to divide the sponsorship money 50-50 between the men's team and the women's team. I fully agree....

... when the women's team brings in comparable (not necessarily identical) revenue as the men.

why shouldn't women's team bring identical if they want 50/50 ?

hows about separate sponsors and they get to keep 100%,

No club would agree to a deal where the priority of the club (the men's team) doesn't get as much benefit.
What people like Carney need to do is play on the self-interest of the clubs.
If a club could monopolise the local support of women and girls through a concerted effort via the women's team, that could only help increase support for the men's team.
Incentives don't have to be aligned for both parties to benefit.
Eventually the women's team would start bringing in the kind of interest and revenue to enable it to be profitable, and club priories will alter.
I know clubs and corps say alot of things these days but money talks ..eventually.

She was calling last night for club sponsors to divide the sponsorship money 50-50 between the men's team and the women's team. I fully agree....

... when the women's team brings in comparable (not necessarily identical) revenue as the men.

When the women’s game is as commercially viable and attractive as the men’s they can have their own multi £Billion deals.

It’s classic, don’t treat us differently unless it suits for us to demand you treat us differently.

99.9% of male players who are probably all better than the women also earn relatively little from the game and their clubs can’t attract sponsorships either.

Welcome to the world of professional sport ladies.

No doubt she had Stephen I wear glasses so am intelligent Warnock ghost write it.

She literally agrees with every point he ever makes on their daft little slot on Sky Sports.

It’s great womens football is getting a bit of acknowledgment in its own right but we need a bit of reality here. It’s not the womens team the sponsors expect to get the exposure from.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.