Keir Starmer

I’ve simply highlighted how he’s exaggerated his father’s job as a factory worker and used that to deflect from difficult questions.

Starmer’s comments about his father being looked down upon because he worked in a factory were OTT and out of touch for that matter.

noun
noun: working class; plural noun: working classes
  1. the social group consisting primarily of people who are employed in unskilled or semi-skilled manual or industrial work.
    "he came from the working class"
adjective
adjective: working class
  1. relating to or characteristic of the working class.
    "a working-class community"

It's not really hard to define what is meant by "working class" what is harder to come to terms with are people who still class themselves as working class when they are nothing like the unskilled people at the bottom of the rung.

You can most certainly feel working class because of your upbringing but it doesn't mean you are.

I’ve simply highlighted how he’s exaggerated his father’s job as a factory worker and used that to deflect from difficult questions.

Starmer’s comments about his father being looked down upon because he worked in a factory were OTT and out of touch for that matter.
You might be right and you might not be but there’s no evidence to prove it either way so it’s just your opinion.

The definition changed over time, hand to mouth poor defines the newer version of the working class. There are lower working class people and upper class working people.

If you sit in a wine bar discussing your stocks you probably are not lower working class :)

I read somewhere not long ago that ~30% of UK are classed as working class but over 50% have working class values which probably explains why it’s hard to define.

Have you seen what’s happening to Orxale today? Up over 11%!! metal blue loves oracle.

I read somewhere not long ago that ~30% of UK are classes as working class but over 50% have working class values which probably explains why it’s hard to define.

Have you seen what’s happening to Orxale today? Up over 11%!! metal blue loves oracle.

The only shares I have mate are shares in a caravan :)

We should really just use the word poor or bottom of the ladder to describe the social position of people and people that are not on that ladder should stop punching down or in many cases acting like they are with them in some twisted way.

Politically new Labour dumped them, political parties even used the word "Underclass" to describe them.

It's not really hard to define what is meant by "working class" what is harder to come to terms with are people who still class themselves as working class when they are nothing like the unskilled people at the bottom of the rung.

You can most certainly feel working class because of your upbringing but it doesn't mean you are.
pretty sure it was the economist Thomas Picketty who argued that the working/middle/upper class definition doesn't work and we should look upon things as just two classes, wage earning and capital earning. there's obvious levels of education within the wage earning class, and there are people who can have feet in both camps, but ultimately, there's those who need that wage at the end of the month and there's those who don't. it also stops pitting the middle vs the working class which is always to the benefit of the upper class (if you use the 3 tiered definition)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.