Keir Starmer

The ONS estimate that over 80% of public sector workers have a defined benefit pension, although that figure (the latest available it seems) was from 2019.

Also, although the LG pension scheme is funded and therefore invested in the market, it is still defined benefit, and so I don’t think it’s unreasonable to suggest that members in that scheme will be less concerned about market performance than someone with a defined contribution pension.

Are we pretending that a defined benefit is the same as a final salary scheme?

Equally, if the stock market soars, the people with a defined benefit pension will be much better off.

People in the risk-taking, buccaneering private sector should be made up with this prospect - if they believe in the capitalist system.

Suppose the stock market had soared over the last 10 years, would there be a movement to give the public sector more to make up for their lesser pensions? Doubt it.

Anything with the stock market is a gamble. You can win big, but you can't moan when you lose. If you want security, with no massive upside or downside, buy gold, low-risk stock like gilts, or join the public sector and (generally) get shit wages for the responsibility level.

Even as a causal observer is terrible advice.

Or to be precise it’s far from insane to take your tax free allowance based on a rumour.
Making big financial decisions based on a rumour is a good idea? I’ll leave you to it.

I’ll take advice from someone qualified to give it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.