Keiren Westwood

I hope this is true, in our current situation he ticks a lot of boxes, he is club trained and is a free agent.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-city-line-up-move-3701190" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... ve-3701190</a>?

Manchester City line up move for free agent goalkeeper Keiren Westwood as Joe Hart's back-up
Jun 15, 2014 22:30 By Alan Nixon
The former Sunderland goalkeeper is now a free agent, and City may choose to make him their new backup in place of Costel Pantilimon

Keiren Westwood could be heading for Manchester City

Manchester City are ready to make a surprise move for free-agent keeper Keiren Westwood as Joe Hart’s new No.2.

Republic of Ireland star Westwood has left Sunderland and is looking for a club – with City keen to take him on as Costel Pantilimon heads out.

29-year-old Westwood has plenty of experience and may be ideal for the role and the fact there is no fee also helps City at this stage.

Far-travelled Westwood comes from Manchester and was with City as a kid, so it would be an emotional return for him.

Hart has now established himself as the top man under manager Manuel Pellegrini and Pantilimon’s desire to play elsewhere has created a problem.

bluefandk said:
I hope this is true, in our current situation he ticks a lot of boxes, he is club trained and is a free agent.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-city-line-up-move-3701190" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... ve-3701190</a>?

Manchester City line up move for free agent goalkeeper Keiren Westwood as Joe Hart's back-up
Jun 15, 2014 22:30 By Alan Nixon
The former Sunderland goalkeeper is now a free agent, and City may choose to make him their new backup in place of Costel Pantilimon

Keiren Westwood could be heading for Manchester City

Manchester City are ready to make a surprise move for free-agent keeper Keiren Westwood as Joe Hart’s new No.2.

Republic of Ireland star Westwood has left Sunderland and is looking for a club – with City keen to take him on as Costel Pantilimon heads out.

29-year-old Westwood has plenty of experience and may be ideal for the role and the fact there is no fee also helps City at this stage.

Far-travelled Westwood comes from Manchester and was with City as a kid, so it would be an emotional return for him.

Hart has now established himself as the top man under manager Manuel Pellegrini and Pantilimon’s desire to play elsewhere has created a problem.

Buying him does make sense as he is a free agent.Also another advantage of signing him is that he would be counted amongst the club trained player of whom we are in dire need for as Micah seems likely to leave for our CL quota.

this would make sense in many ways however is he actually good enough? hasnt nailed down a starting position anywhere in the Premiership, now 29 and apparently had a bad injury last season @ Sunderland ?

markblue said:
this would make sense in many ways however is he actually good enough? hasnt nailed down a starting position anywhere in the Premiership, now 29 and apparently had a bad injury last season @ Sunderland ?
Backup goalie is always a tricky position to fill given that they know there's an excellent chance that they'll never play a competitive game. I can't say i blame Pantilimon for wanting to play as 1st choice as he's good enough to do so.
The Times seem to think we're in effect swapping Westwood and Pants (although Pants is a free agent) but still get the facts wrong :-
Sunderland are close to signing Pantilimon, the Romania goalkeeper, who was recently told that his contract would not be renewed at Manchester City
Pantilimon briefly replaced Joe Hart, the England goalkeeper, as Manuel Pellegrini’s first-choice in goal at the Etihad Stadium last season, but was subsequently released by the Barclays Premier League champions
Did he not run his contract down himself because he wanted 1st team action?

ColinLee said:
markblue said:
Backup goalie is always a tricky position to fill given that they know there's an excellent chance that they'll never play a competitive game. I can't say i blame Pantilimon for wanting to play as 1st choice as he's good enough to do so.
The Times seem to think we're in effect swapping Westwood and Pants (although Pants is a free agent) but still get the facts wrong :-
Sunderland are close to signing Pantilimon, the Romania goalkeeper, who was recently told that his contract would not be renewed at Manchester City
Pantilimon briefly replaced Joe Hart, the England goalkeeper, as Manuel Pellegrini’s first-choice in goal at the Etihad Stadium last season, but was subsequently released by the Barclays Premier League champions

There seemed to be some confusion on here as to when Pants contract was up, some thought it was 2015 and others this year. The fact that the club didn't include him on the retained list would suggest it was 2014 but I've not seen a definitive answer.

lancs blue said:
ColinLee said:
markblue said:

There seemed to be some confusion on here as to when Pants contract was up, some thought it was 2015 and others this year. The fact that the club didn't include him on the retained list would suggest it was 2014 but I've not seen a definitive answer.
Transfermarkt have his contract expiring on 30/6/14. It's one of the more reliable media sources.

hart needs stiff competition ,I'm not sure westwood offers this!!!

willy from malaga for me ;-)

celf said:

But that's another foreign player we've got to find a space for in our squad, we're already working at the limits of our allowable foreign players, adding Caballero just exacerbates the problem. We're almost certain to be signing a home grown keeper, whether he's association or club trained is debatable.

Matty said:
celf said:

But that's another foreign player we've got to find a space for in our squad, we're already working at the limits of our allowable foreign players, adding Caballero just exacerbates the problem. We're almost certain to be signing a home grown keeper, whether he's association or club trained is debatable.

Woosh!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.