You’re right! It is EPILEPSY that they use it for. Low carb, high fat (LCHF) diet works for epilepsy.

For those who care, there are a bunch of good YouTube videos on both Keto and LCHF diets/lifestyles. I was concerned about cholesterol on LCHF, but there are some excellent videos by Dave Feldman on that topic.

I’m on LCHF right now and have dropped a stone in the last 3 weeks. I don’t eat cheese, so my go to snack food is smoked sausage. Gets me through the harder parts of the day.

When combined with Intermittent Fasting (IF) and a reasonable exercise regimen, it is IMHO the best and quickest way to see results, which is key to accepting the restrictions.

Btw, the restrictions are almost all “crap food choices” anyway. Who wants to eat loads of empty carbs anyway?

Always works for me too and have never experienced any problems on it. Going to start it again on Monday for a month as haven't done it for a good while and Christmas and various things since then have pushed the weight up a bit more than I'd like.

Also, just reading where it is being used for Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s patients, too. There is also research to say it may help stave off or slow cancers, as they feed off glucose in your system, and ketosis bypasses this to create the energy from fat.

Thanks for the advice ^^

To be honest, I don’t think I’ve been particularly meticulous so far as my net carbs have been exceeding 35 grams each day.

I’ve undertaken a tolerance test before which concluded I am intolerant to sugar, alcohol, citrus fruits and gluten - but not dairy.

I suspect I am experiencing so many symptoms of the ‘keto flu’ as I used to eat parsnips, chickpeas, sweet potatoes, oatmeal and rice cakes on a daily basis. Thus, I was consuming copious amounts of carbohydrates each day. I have been quite healthy in terms of my sugar intake for many years now but I would imagine my ratio of carbs, protein and fats was the complete opposite of what it is now.

If I continue to feel like crap, I may have to consult with either my GP or psychiatrist, neither of whom know about my dietary change yet. :S
By exceeding the 35g of carbs, you are prolonging your agony!!

Suck it up for 72-96 hrs of <20g carbs and you will be virtually guaranteed to be in ketosis and past the “flu” stage. Treat yourself to the things you always “knew” were bad for you, like literally eating cream, melting butter on a hamburger and putting bacon on it, stuff like that, which will provide the novelty needed to get over a few days. I used to make sugar free pudding and jelly, so that I always had a “sweet” snack to go to, even though I knew I was trying to wean myself off the sweet need.

Once you are over the hump, add back a little, maybe 5g, and see how you manage. I’m enjoying eating a lot of smoked sausage. It is in a resealable bag, so I can eat it all the time, including inflight. It isn’t messy, it doesn’t really smell, it has 1g per two sausages (about the size of your middle finger). I have 2, 4, sometimes 6, if I get peckish, just to fight off hunger.

The other really good thing is IF with the keto. Helps prolong the fat burn and the food you eat (often two meals and a snack) gets eaten in an 8 hour period, rather than 12-16, creating an instant 16 hr IF period EVERY DAY!! If you can exercise every day, within that 8-12 hour “food” window, you can take care of any post-workout hunger with a nice LCHF meal, either right before you IF or right after you ended it.

Use YouTube to watch a few videos, which will also send you elsewhere for more info. I also just read a great article, plus an 8 week keto diet program, with recipes for quick, easy, nourishing and satisfying meals, in the March 2018 edition of Clean Eating magazine.

Good luck and hang in there. You CAN do this!!

By exceeding the 35g of carbs, you are prolonging your agony!!

Suck it up for 72-96 hrs of <20g carbs and you will be virtually guaranteed to be in ketosis and past the “flu” stage. Treat yourself to the things you always “knew” were bad for you, like literally eating cream, melting butter on a hamburger and putting bacon on it, stuff like that, which will provide the novelty needed to get over a few days. I used to make sugar free pudding and jelly, so that I always had a “sweet” snack to go to, even though I knew I was trying to wean myself off the sweet need.

Once you are over the hump, add back a little, maybe 5g, and see how you manage. I’m enjoying eating a lot of smoked sausage. It is in a resealable bag, so I can eat it all the time, including inflight. It isn’t messy, it doesn’t really smell, it has 1g per two sausages (about the size of your middle finger). I have 2, 4, sometimes 6, if I get peckish, just to fight off hunger.

The other really good thing is IF with the keto. Helps prolong the fat burn and the food you eat (often two meals and a snack) gets eaten in an 8 hour period, rather than 12-16, creating an instant 16 hr IF period EVERY DAY!! If you can exercise every day, within that 8-12 hour “food” window, you can take care of any post-workout hunger with a nice LCHF meal, either right before you IF or right after you ended it.

Use YouTube to watch a few videos, which will also send you elsewhere for more info. I also just read a great article, plus an 8 week keto diet program, with recipes for quick, easy, nourishing and satisfying meals, in the March 2018 edition of Clean Eating magazine.

Good luck and hang in there. You CAN do this!!

Thanks for your response.

From now on I will try harder to restrict my net carbohydrate intake to under 30 grams a day.

I have to say it’s much more difficult than I thought it would be. Carbs are hidden everywhere!

Even the broth everyone suggests to combat keto flu is fairly high in carbs. I guess I should quit sugar-free Monster energy drinks, which contain approximately 4 grams of carbs a can.

I'd not heard of it, but it sounds a bit like the Atkins diet I tried a few years ago. That was *astonishingly* successful for me. The hard part was the induction phase when you have to really restrict your carbs for the first few days and get into fat burning (ketosis???) mode. After that, it was a doddle and I ate like a king - loads of steaks and curry and god knows what else - and still lost 2 stone in 2 months! I had to stop in the end because I was getting too thin!

I managed it for a year and a neighbour asked wife if I was okay, as she thought had cancer.

I enjoyed the challenge and was fittest ever. Best man at a wedding middle of May,
So back on it and expect to drop at least two stone in couple months.

That was Paleo rather than Atkins.

I managed it for a year and a neighbour asked wife if I was okay, as she thought had cancer.

I enjoyed the challenge and was fittest ever. Best man at a wedding middle of May,
So back on it and expect to drop at least two stone in couple months.

That was Paleo rather than Atkins.
I don't know Paleo, or whether its similar, but Atkins just makes abundant common sense to me.

Humans have evolved over millions of years, not hundreds. And this refined carbohydrate-rich diet that most of us eat, has only been around for a couple of hundred years. Before that, we ate nuts and seeds and vegetables and meat, but nothing that gave us a sugar hit and which buggers up our insulin system. We have two energy creating systems in our bodies - carbo burning (and fat storing) for times of plenty and then fat burning when times are hard. But we never do the fat burning bit because we're always eating too many carbs. Hence so many people getting diabetes - they've become insulin tolerant due to far too much sugar and insulin in their systems, constantly.

The idea that humans should not be drinking full sugar Coke, white bread, crisps, cakes, biscuits and chocolates, seems pretty blindingly obvious to me.

I found Atkins dead easy. It works. And I felt great on it.

I don't know Paleo, or whether its similar, but Atkins just makes abundant common sense to me.

Humans have evolved over millions of years, not hundreds. And this refined carbohydrate-rich diet that most of us eat, has only been around for a couple of hundred years. Before that, we ate nuts and seeds and vegetables and meat, but nothing that gave us a sugar hit and which buggers up our insulin system. We have two energy creating systems in our bodies - carbo burning (and fat storing) for times of plenty and then fat burning when times are hard. But we never do the fat burning bit because we're always eating too many carbs. Hence so many people getting diabetes - they've become insulin tolerant due to far too much sugar and insulin in their systems, constantly.

The idea that humans should not be drinking full sugar Coke, white bread, crisps, cakes, biscuits and chocolates, seems pretty blindingly obvious to me.

I found Atkins dead easy. It works. And I felt great on it.

Same here.

Thanks for your response.

From now on I will try harder to restrict my net carbohydrate intake to under 30 grams a day.

I have to say it’s much more difficult than I thought it would be. Carbs are hidden everywhere!

Even the broth everyone suggests to combat keto flu is fairly high in carbs. I guess I should quit sugar-free Monster energy drinks, which contain approximately 4 grams of carbs a can.

Hi Blue, been doing Keto for 18 months now, initially to support my daughter (health reasons) and because the weight was starting to pile on!

We were referred to a book by Karen Thomson (Granddaughter of heart surgeon Christiaan Barnard) called 'Sugar Free - 8 Weeks to Freedom from Sugar and Carb Addiction'

Without being overly dramatic, it's transformed our lives. It explains the fundementals, and the need to kick the sugar 'addiction' and re-train our bodies to burn fat, and not sugar.

It has recipes, and a daily meal plan for the first 8 weeks, which should be followed to ensure you have the right balance of nutrients.

My daughter lost 3 stone in the first year, I lost 2.1/2 stone, and most of that was in the first 3 months. We are now on maintenance, but feel fitter than ever (as Tolmie alluded to) and find it easy now to get back into ketosis if we stray a little!

You do need to be strict with yourself though, its not just hidden carbs but hidden sugars too! You mention sugar freee Monster - all they do with that is stuff it full of artificial sweeteners (Sucralose/Erythritol etc) and the body can't distinguish between sugar and artificial sugar, and it will still burn that first, leaving the extra fats you are now eating to pile on the weight rather than shedding it!

My advice is to get this book, and read it cover to cover, and put it into practice.

You won't regret it :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.