Hi Blue, been doing Keto for 18 months now, initially to support my daughter (health reasons) and because the weight was starting to pile on!

We were referred to a book by Karen Thomson (Granddaughter of heart surgeon Christiaan Barnard) called 'Sugar Free - 8 Weeks to Freedom from Sugar and Carb Addiction'

Without being overly dramatic, it's transformed our lives. It explains the fundementals, and the need to kick the sugar 'addiction' and re-train our bodies to burn fat, and not sugar.

It has recipes, and a daily meal plan for the first 8 weeks, which should be followed to ensure you have the right balance of nutrients.

My daughter lost 3 stone in the first year, I lost 2.1/2 stone, and most of that was in the first 3 months. We are now on maintenance, but feel fitter than ever (as Tolmie alluded to) and find it easy now to get back into ketosis if we stray a little!

You do need to be strict with yourself though, its not just hidden carbs but hidden sugars too! You mention sugar freee Monster - all they do with that is stuff it full of artificial sweeteners (Sucralose/Erythritol etc) and the body can't distinguish between sugar and artificial sugar, and it will still burn that first, leaving the extra fats you are now eating to pile on the weight rather than shedding it!

My advice is to get this book, and read it cover to cover, and put it into practice.

You won't regret it :)

Thanks for such a thoughtful response.

I am glad to learn both you and your daughter have had great success on the diet.

With regards to sugar substitutes, I was under the impression that Erythritol was perfectly fine on the diet as it’s a sugar alcohol which mostly gets excreted through the urine. Stevia is another one I’ve heard is good on keto, too. But I do acknowledge that I should try to keep energy drinks to a minimum as the likes of Sucralose, Aspartame etc are bad for you.

I will see if that book is available on Amazon.

Thanks!

Thanks for such a thoughtful response.

I am glad to learn both you and your daughter have had great success on the diet.

With regards to sugar substitutes, I was under the impression that Erythritol was perfectly fine on the diet as it’s a sugar alcohol which mostly gets excreted through the urine. Stevia is another one I’ve heard is good on keto, too. But I do acknowledge that I should try to keep energy drinks to a minimum as the likes of Sucralose, Aspartame etc are bad for you.

I will see if that book is available on Amazon.

Thanks!

No problem, I enjoy spreading the keto word!

You are right re Erythritol, and it's included in some of the recipes in the book, but I wanted to give my body a fighting chance so avoid all sweeteners. The recipes are actually delicious, and you seriously wonder how you can be eating all this dairy and fat and still be losing weight!

That's where the book comes in - explains the science simply and beautifully :)

I'm sure you will get it on Amazon, and keep going, the benefits far outweigh the extra efforts!

My daughter belongs to a keto Facebook group too which is a helpful source of encouragement and ideas for recipes too, with some really amazing before and after pics!
I'll ask her which one she's on.

Been eating this way since October. It's hard at first adjusting to what you can and can't eat. But it becomes easier.
Best thing to do is Google keto.... then what ever your favourite meals are. So keto chilli for example. There is usually always a keto version. Most taste nicer too.
It has turned me into a jack Daniels addict though. Expensive on match days!

No problem, I enjoy spreading the keto word!

You are right re Erythritol, and it's included in some of the recipes in the book, but I wanted to give my body a fighting chance so avoid all sweeteners. The recipes are actually delicious, and you seriously wonder how you can be eating all this dairy and fat and still be losing weight!

That's where the book comes in - explains the science simply and beautifully :)

I'm sure you will get it on Amazon, and keep going, the benefits far outweigh the extra efforts!

My daughter belongs to a keto Facebook group too which is a helpful source of encouragement and ideas for recipes too, with some really amazing before and after pics!
I'll ask her which one she's on.

I think it’s on offer at WHS Smith at the moment, so I’ll probably pick it up tomorrow in town.

I did ‘like’ the keto Facebook page but I have been getting most of my tips from reddit and YouTube.

Is this a diet you should jump right into or gradually change what i eat?

I ask because i'd seen something about it a while ago and i'm doing a lot of running and cycling, want to do a triathlon this year so wonder if it'll help with my endurance, i don't need to do the diet to lose weight as my weight is fine but i'd like to improve performance in running etc...

I've been doing a ketogenic diet since just after Christmas to drop a stone and stay there.

My biggest problem was not having the time to cook healthy meals so my personal trainer recommended a local company that makes balanced ready meals with less than 40g carbs I can just pop in the microwave. A fiver a go but given the amount of stuff I used to throw away, it works out economically viable for me and I cook on the days I can.

I did keto for 8 months to lose weight, lost around 35 kilograms. I think It is a great diet to lose weight because it literally blunts hunger.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.